VOGONS

Topic actions

First post, by rumbadumba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's a 486 system I am planning to build. It would be for DOS and/or windows 3.1 games. I have all the parts.

Jetway 466-B motherboard - socket 3 with a SiS 496/497 chipset
486 processor - dx2-66 *edited not a dx4-100 after all*
pci cards:
s3 virge dx *edited - not a trio 2x/3d after all",
*edit - in view of comments, voodoo 1 won't be in it *
3com905 nic
isa cards:
sb pro 2
*edit - in view of comments gus ace won't be in it *
sw60xg

My next system up is a k6/3 with gf2, v2 sli, sb16+db50xg, gus pnp and windows 98 (just need to swap ace for pnp). The 486 would hopefully make it possible to play older games (or at least easier).

Not sure what RAM I have, nor what would I need.

Last edited by rumbadumba on 2008-12-18, 16:17. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 1 of 17, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rumbadumba wrote:

s3 trio 2x/3d

Do you mean S3 Trio3D? It's AGP only. The last PCI S3 is probably ViRGE GX (GX2 was AGP).

rumbadumba wrote:

voodoo 1

Pairing a VooDoo (even the first) with a 486 is a bad idea. You won't get good framerates, because the CPU will be the bottleneck. I would pair at least with a fast Pentium (200/233?).

rumbadumba wrote:

sb pro 2, gus ace, sw60xg

IMHO it's another bad idea to pair very good wave table cards with such low quality digital sound card.

Last edited by GL1zdA on 2008-12-17, 21:32. Edited 1 time in total.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 4 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IMHO:
the SB PRO2 will offer excellent game compatibillity, and the SW60 will offer EXCELLENT wavetable midi... no harm there!!! I like that setup, classic with a twist

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 17, by rumbadumba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks like I need to rethink.

I'll check my pci cards (i know i do have an agp trio 3d).

I could replace the sb pro2 with an sb16, sound galaxy, awe32 or awe64.

I wanted this system to extend what i could play: my k6 box (windows 98) is already up and running. Would it be better to:

- stick with a 486 and leave out voodoo 1

or

- move to a p1 mmx or a p2 system with the v1?

Would the p1/p2 with v1 extend gaming capabilities any more than just setting up the k6 to dual boot into win98 and dos? Not much i guess, and maybe that could be mostly handled by 3dfx env variables.

Only reason I can see for 486 is that its slower than p1 (mmx or no), k6 or p2. Does that slower nature add to capabilities or would a p1/p2 be just as good?

Maybe I don't need this box at all.

Reply 6 of 17, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

IMHO:
the SB PRO2 will offer excellent game compatibillity, and the SW60 will offer EXCELLENT wavetable midi... no harm there!!! I like that setup, classic with a twist

Agree, a real Sb Pro or Sb Pro comptaible card is perefed if you want stereo.
Cards like the Sound Blaster 16 doesn't do stereo when used as an Sb Pro

Would skip the Gus Ace if you plan to use the joyport since it will most likely be disabled by the GUS ACE...you can call it a "bug"

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 7 of 17, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AWE32 does do Stereo when selecting SB Pro. Creative has made many slipups in the race to be the Soundcard king, SB 16 (gheySP), AWE64 and others (including their latest designs) are among them.

Reply 8 of 17, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dh4rm4 wrote:

AWE32 does do Stereo when selecting SB Pro. Creative has made many slipups in the race to be the Soundcard king, SB 16 (gheySP), AWE64 and others (including their latest designs) are among them.

Really? AWE32 with real OPL3 or the "EMU thingie"?

Reply 9 of 17, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're talking about stereo sampling, then yes. If you're talking about FM music I've only found one or two games that had some issues playing MONO FM (ie SB/Adlib) music from only one channel. Rastan Saga was one and Fire and Ice was the other, though I may be confusing that with Titus the Fox. It was a long time ago.

Reply 10 of 17, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Isn't it better to use this if you want V1 support?
cgi.ebay.de/Hercules-Stingray-128-3D-PC ... 240%3A1318

Saves a PCI slot, this card is slower than a Voodoo 1 but you still won't get full performance with a 486

Reply 11 of 17, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh god no. Voodoo Rush is awful. Lots of incompatibilty issues and the 2D chipset is very weak.

If he's really certain that he wants Voodoo mixed with main display card I'd recommend a Banshee PCI card, though the 486 will be a bottleneck.

Reply 12 of 17, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still don't understand the need to build a "killer" 486 system. If you need it to be that fast, then make a Pentium instead. If you're concerned about speed sensitive games, a 486DX4-100 is not the CPU to use.

If you want to play games that are from the SBPro era, a slower 486 or 386 would be better, or just use DOSBox. Keep the Voodoo cards for a Pentium and above.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Reply 14 of 17, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rumbadumba wrote:

Just checked, my 486 chips are both dx2-66's. Weird, I was sure one of them only booted as a dx4-100 (which I remember was not how it was stamped).

Maybe you had the motherboard jumpered as a 486DX4 ODP and ran the DX2-66 mega-overclocked 😁 😁

Reply 15 of 17, by rumbadumba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Meh, I've changed my mind about building another retro PC.

Does of course leave me a pile of hardware, but a lot of that is spares or alternative cards for my 5 machines. But I count 10 motherboards I don't even need for spares:

* edit - all gone now *

3 m571s, unused except one i tested, takes p54c as well as mmx/k6's. battered boxes. sort of baby at-ish. no agp.

2 Chaintech CT-5AGM3, unused except to test. super socket 7. boxed. agp. baby at. mvp3.

2 used FIC PA2013, fast overclockable super socket 7 ATX. agp. mvp3. unboxed. i found them unstable but looking back on it, may have been crap psu, others think they are great.

1 barely used Jetway 542C super socket 7 baby AT agp. aladdin. boxed.

1 unused except to test jetway 466b 486. pci. sis 496/497. boxed. manual.

1 unused except to test tk8881. 486. pci. umc. mashed box, no manual.

I reckon ebay is a bit hit and miss for this kind of hardware nowadays, so if anyone's interested, feel free to send me a PM, but basically I'll take £5 per board plus postage/transaction fees, otherwise they go to our recycling centre, as its now called. I'm in the UK. Hope this isn't against vogons posting policy - but if it is, I'm sure someone can delete it.

Last edited by rumbadumba on 2008-12-27, 20:36. Edited 1 time in total.