VOGONS

My IBM PS/1 (Game) Consultant tower

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 21, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I do have some old games that do require a genuine MPU-401 interface for music and sound effects. Plus there's also (recommended by the owner of Quest Studios) a DOS-based editor/librarian for the MT-32 and compatibles that require a genuine Roland interface. Another curiosity is to try to hook up the card to my computer via MIDI (SCC-1 to USB interface) to see if I can get it to work with some emulators for a more modern computer that uses the Sound Canvas.

On a side note, for some bizarre reason a number of notes in Windows 3.1 do NOT play on key when I play a MIDI song on either the Sound Canvas or on my OPL3 if I drag&drop a MIDI file into Media Player.

Well, acquired myself a 3COM Etherlink-III card and two 16MB sticks of FastPage memory. System's running rather nicely so far.

Reply 21 of 21, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally got a semi-decent shot of the sockets. I don't think they're for the video memory, but to add cache. The memory for the local-bus integrated video (CL-5246) is already maxed out at 1MB.

PS1-Sockets.jpg

Also, I found what's probably the most important piece of info on this box. The model number. It's an IBM PS/1 Consultant model 2168-G57.