VOGONS

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Current Classic System Config:

Note: There have been some changes in my setup - namely the graphics cards, since the last time I've put up this topic about a year ago.
The changes are not reflected in the (old) pictures.

DFI CA61 PIII Socket 370 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III Coppermine 1GHz processor
3 ISA Slots
4 PCI Slots
1 AGP 4X Slot
1x 80GB HDD Master
1x 40GB HDD Slave
256MB PC-133 SDRAM
6x Teac CD-ROM Drive
Master (for classic dos cd gaming with CD Audio Connection with AWE32)
Lite-On DVD-RAM RW Drive Slave (for archival purposes, and for using with custom made DOS DVD versions of multiple CD games. Works well in both DOS and Win3.11.)
1x Teac 5.25" FDD
1x Sony 3.5" FDD
Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro (S3 Virge-DX 4MB)

2x Diamond Monster 3D II 12MB SLI
Geforce 4 Ti4200 128MB AGP 8x
Sound Blaster AWE32 CT3980
Roland LAPC-I
Roland Sound Canvas SC-55 MKII
MS-DOS 6.22
MS-Windows 3.11
Windows ME
Windows 95

Taken the casing from my previous P4 based system.

Older games which are speed sensitive are played on my newer system with Dosbox.

Things to do : 1. I have a Geforce 6800 Ultra AGP coming my way. Just wanted to know in the mean time, will it work without problems with the AGP 4X slot in this system?
Otherwise I have to set up my P4 board with 8x AGP slot for these.
For convenience sake, I would prefer to use my classic system which has all the goodies in it. Currently, my trusty Geforce4 Ti4200 AGP 8X is sitting on it.

2. Ordered another matching 3dfx Voodoo 2 with the SLI connector.

Other considerations :

1. The SBAWE32 is configured at A220 I5 D1 H5 P300 E620
The MIDI Port 300 setting avoids conflict with LAPC-I's default P330. I've also set the LAPC-I's IRQ to it's default 2/9.
The AWE32 is connected via the Joystick-MIDI cable to the SC-55. MIDI transmission so far is flawless via this port. All General MIDI messages are sent to the SC-55 MKII.
In Windows 3.11, I've also set the default MIDI output as the AWE32's MIDI port. Hence, all MIDI activities under Windows 3.11 are handled by the SC-55. And yes, games like Gabriel Knight I Windows version, plays under the SC-55.
The AWE32 has Digital S/PDIF connection to a coaxial output which is connected to the surround receiver.

2. Turtle Beach Montego II with NEC Yamaha DB60XG clone, which is lying around and not installed yet.

Notes:

1. All Sierra games run without problems in pure dos, in terms of detecting the Sound Blaster hardware, after using GoSierra patch utility.

2. Lucasfilm Games/Lucasarts games run flawlessly.

3. So far Quake I plays smoothly at 1024x768 using GLQuake. And so does Heretic II. The Build engine is smooth too using the Geforce.

4. Crusader No Regret Rocks in pure DOS! 😁

5. Monkey Island 2 still rocks with the LAPC-I! 😁
Heck! Any game supporting Roland MT-32/LAPC-I rocks!

6. Whatever that had been run successfully in my then 286 of yesteryears, ran here too.

7. One word of deep appreciation goes to Lucasart's Adventure Games of the Golden Era : Wonderful coding makes them play just like how it was meant to play on an IBM PC XT/AT compatibles. Excess speed doesn't degrade the performance or good experience of these games in newer system. Can't say the same for Sierra's Adventures. Some sequence yield to the high speed but doesn't render unplayable. Some sequence like the Yorick's Maze in Quest For Glory I VGA can be altered using moslo or such programs for that particular sequence alone.

8. Of course, playing Wing Commander I and other speed sensitive games is out of the question in this system specs. But Dosbox is always there in my newer system to re-live the exact classic experiences of these games.

9. The Hard Drives are mounted upside down for optimum heat reduction and this is the only convenient way with respect to the case's racks.

10. Both the AWE32 and LAPC-I are competing in Who's the Longest competition. 😁 Though not very clear in the picture, the LAPC-I still leads by a quarter of an inch. In fact, it's so long and since it's only an 8-bit card, as you can see, the end of the board is slightly deviated down due to gravity.
The AWE32 has additional 2x16MB 30-pin SIMMS (28MB Available). Using 8MB GM ROM samples.

Details of the HDD partition can be found here.

Other classic systems : A Pentium 133 based system with 64MB EDO RAM and a yet to finish 486 DX2 66 based system.

Any comments / suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

• System.jpg
    Filename
    System.jpg
    File size
    73.61 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • System Inside.jpg
    Filename
    System Inside.jpg
    File size
    148.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Sndcrds.jpg
    Filename
    Sndcrds.jpg
    File size
    114.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Malik on 2010-01-21, 15:34. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 2 of 6, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suggest you support that Lapc-I in some way..it's not good to have it hanging like that..it put alot of stress to the card.
Remember you have to shell out $150-250 on Ebay if you want a replacement 😉

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 3 of 6, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Moogle! wrote:

Does that board support the Tualatin? My gigabyte's eating floppies.

I'm afraid not. It doesn't support FC-PGA2.

Amigaz wrote:

I suggest you support that Lapc-I in some way..it's not good to have it hanging like that..it put alot of stress to the card.
Remember you have to shell out $150-250 on Ebay if you want a replacement

Right on. I think I'll place two small rolled pieces of paper beneath it for support. The concentric circles of the rolls should be able to withstand it.

Here's a picture of it.

CA61B.jpg
The best part I like about this board is the front panel connectors. All the pins are directed horizontally, parallel with the board surface. And also it's placed away from the ISA slots. This is very useful for long ISA cards.

Reply 4 of 6, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I thought that Fc-pga2 just meant that there was a heat spreader built into the package. AFAIK the major difference is the FSB signaling voltages, which are a little lower. GTL+ is then name for it I think. That's too bad... putting a tualatin in one of these would be quite cool.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 6 of 6, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is the System Speed Test v4.78 results for this system...

Attachments

• CLASSIC.jpg
    Filename
    CLASSIC.jpg
    File size
    129.19 KiB
    Views
    File license