New 486 rig assembled *Updated, again*

Topic actions

Reply 62 of 67, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bushwack wrote:

Hey can you pimp my 486? With 18gb you can put like 9827 games games from 486ville on it.

Can I see a front shot?

Sure, ship it over here and I'll do a total 486 PC makeover 😁

Will do a front shot later today...I know 5u3 here loves seeing these Colani towers 😉

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 65 of 67, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's an interesting design. It uses a lot of custom mouldings found in newer PC cases, yet it's a full tower and has a big clunky on off switch. I bet full towers must be getting rare these days.

You should look into the process for removing the yellowing on the plastic. It looks pretty straight forward and uses cheap chemicals you can get locally.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 66 of 67, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

It's an interesting design. It uses a lot of custom mouldings found in newer PC cases, yet it's a full tower and has a big clunky on off switch. I bet full towers must be getting rare these days.

You should look into the process for removing the yellowing on the plastic. It looks pretty straight forward and uses cheap chemicals you can get locally.

Yeah, when they first showed up in 1992 they must have really looked alien compared to all the cheap, square Taiwaneese made towers circling around back then.

I had to import this best from Germany since Vobis Highscreen stuff was only sold in Germany, Austria och Holland I think.

It was Samudra here on the board that inspired me to get this tower.

Full AT towers are rare as hen's teeth nowdays...but this Colani tower only takes Baby AT size mobo's even though it's huge and weighs a ton.

yeah...when I've moved and have more time this winter I'll try those de-yellowing methods that has popped up all over the place on the internet...but I happen to have a replacement front for this Colani tower that hasn't yellowed...they used some different plastic material for it I think.

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327