Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MartinC wrote:
Kkk, booted up: http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/844/img0075r.th.jpg […]
Show full quote

Kkk, booted up:
img0075r.th.jpg

Does anyone know how to install Windows 98 on a SCSI HDD drive? I don't see a chance to load SCSI drivers when booting the Windows 98 setup CD 😜

Which SCSI adapter are you using?
Most SCSI adapters I've used (Symbios, Adaptec, Tekram etc) have DOS SCSI cd-rom drivers so just stuff these in your win98 bootdisk and edit the autoexec.bat and config.sys on it to load the drivers like you do in pure DOS

Saw you had an adaptec card, d/l drivers here http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/support/scsi/#2940

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 81 of 133, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you have the SCSI card's BIOS enabled?

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 83 of 133, by MartinC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Amigaz wrote:

Most SCSI adapters I've used (Symbios, Adaptec, Tekram etc) have DOS SCSI cd-rom drivers so just stuff these in your win98 bootdisk and edit the autoexec.bat and config.sys on it to load the drivers like you do in pure DOS

Saw you had an adaptec card, d/l drivers here http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/support/scsi/#2940

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Do I just add the .inf file entry into autoexec.bat and config.sys?

Reply 84 of 133, by MartinC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MartinC wrote:
Amigaz wrote:

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Do I just add the .inf file entry into autoexec.bat and config.sys?

Not even close, after lot's of troubleshooting & many different solutions to unrelated problems I managed to load up Windows 98 Gold, sooo, anyone can provide me with benchmark tools? Portable versions preferred

Stay tuned, more to come

Reply 85 of 133, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use Sandra 2002, 3Dmark 99, 2k, and 2k1 SE. Sandra is a multiple subsytem synthetic benchmark and the 3Dmark series is a for different versions of Direct X. While not portable these applications are "light", and uninstalling them would be a trivial matter. There are free versions across the web. One place you can look is Guru3D.com. I have also recently tried pcpbech for rating VESA performance and speedsys, which is a simple but rich graphical command line tool. Other members of the board have used Everest, which is similar to Sandra.

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 87 of 133, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Go into your device manager and properties for said devices. In there look for the "Resources" tab. Here it should identify the conflicts. Try the configuration dropdown or manual settings. If you can get it working take some screenshots. You can also try going into the BIOS and using the "Reset ESCD" option. Another idea is looking at the AGP aperture size, with your system and card it should be set very high at all. 32 - 64 mb would be ideal.

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 88 of 133, by MartinC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
prophase_j wrote:

Go into your device manager and properties for said devices. In there look for the "Resources" tab. Here it should identify the conflicts. Try the configuration dropdown or manual settings. If you can get it working take some screenshots. You can also try going into the BIOS and using the "Reset ESCD" option. Another idea is looking at the AGP aperture size, with your system and card it should be set very high at all. 32 - 64 mb would be ideal.

My problem is almost exactly the same as the following:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-sup … t-problems.html

Except that my conflicts are with my SCSI controller & the ACPI BIOS occupying the necessary memory range for the GeForce video card. The video card resources cannot be manually changed, there are no alternatives. I have no "Reset ESCD" option in my motherboard BIOS.

And whether I use 768MB/512MB/256MB of system memory makes no difference.

This sucks....

Reply 89 of 133, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can you tell me what your AGP aperture is set to? Also, in your BIOS, what do you have "PNP OS Installed" set to? Have you installed any kind of chipset drivers for that BX?

http://www.intel.com/design/software/drivers/ … rchived_inf.htm

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 90 of 133, by MartinC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
prophase_j wrote:

Can you tell me what your AGP aperture is set to? Also, in your BIOS, what do you have "PNP OS Installed" set to? Have you installed any kind of chipset drivers for that BX?

http://www.intel.com/design/software/drivers/ … rchived_inf.htm

The AGP aperture size disapears from the BIOS page once I start scrolling down, no idea why. It's possible it started doing this when I updated the BIOS, can't remember.

I just freash installed 98 with only 256MB system memory, 100MHz FSB, removed the V2 & no drivers installed, same problem....Maybe the graphics card doesn't support AGP 2x?

I'm going to try installing XP just to see if it's the OS, if it happens under XP I'm confident it's related to the motherboard hardware & I have big problems...

Still open to opinions...

Reply 92 of 133, by MartinC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is the final product, a lot of changes on this project but all for the better thanks to the eBay bargains, forum input & my personal research I think we have developed my Dream Machine 😀

================================================================
***********************1999 Dream Machine***********************
CPU: Pentium III Slot-1, 1GHz/256kb
MOTHER: GA-6BXC Slot-1 440BX
RAM: 768MB ,SDRAM, PC133
SOUND: AWE64, ISA
HDD: SCSI 18GB 1000RPM
CD-ROM: 2 x UltraPLex 40Max, SCSI
SCSI CARD: Adaptec 2940 40MB/s Ultra-Wide
DirectX: GeForce2 Pro
Glide: Creative 3DFX Voodoo2 12MB
Monitor: Sony 17" CRT
Thanks for everyone's input espically gerwin, prophase_j, swaaye.

Reply 93 of 133, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did your get your resource conflict sorted out?

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 94 of 133, by MartinC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
prophase_j wrote:

Did your get your resource conflict sorted out?

No. After extensive troubleshooting I concluded that the FX series have compatibility issues with older motherboards, mine being of them.

So I tried the original GeForce2 I bought, it booted up fine, well, after a bit of playing around....if the adapter cards are not securely grounded the system has problems booting, the motherboard is also picky about system memory even though the RAM boards looked like they where well secured I had to remove & reinsert them.

Now I have benchmarked, defraged, run games with no crashes. Image quality is impressive even by todays standards, 10 years later games do look different but I'm not sure if I would say better.

Interestingly after everything was running stable I set the memory timing to CL2 which resulted in 3DMark scores >7000 using my GeForce card & a minor improvement with the V2.

Very pleased with the outcome, I even got USB support going 😀 works well oh & I also got the >256MB system memory issues which I solved.

Overall I would have to say this was a tough project, I have completely rebuilt a XBOX with upgraded CPU & RAM, software, HDD & it was easier than this thing but as I said I'm very happy

Reply 95 of 133, by MartinC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Added some bechmarks.

Interesting that although my PIII's cache is running at full CPU speed (unlike the PII that it is compared to that run at 1/2 CPU) it scored low compared.

Mhhh...I have a "use external cache" option in BIOS, might try that at OFF.

Win98 Gold: 1GHz PIII - GeForce2 - Voodoo2 - 768MB - SCSI 😀

Reply 96 of 133, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've found that my GFFX 5950 works fine in my 440BX mobo, but the GFFX 5600 doesn't. I can't get drivers to install for the 5600. It just BSODs every time. I went through a bunch of driver versions trying to get it to work but nada.

The 5600 does work in a Super 7 board I have though, but of course the AGP on there isn't very stable. I think the only AGP 3D cards that work well on Super 7 mobos are Voodoo cards.

Reply 97 of 133, by MartinC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah I didn't have the same luck Swaaye.

I'm kind of disappointed too that a lot of the games I wanted to play, the ones that actually look much better on glide instead of DirectX require a Voodoo1. Carma, Blood, I'm sure I'll run into others too.

Getting towards Quake II & Unreal engines the Geforce2 with OpenGL looks as good if not better than with Glide & a Voodoo2.

Mhhh...might end up swapping out for a Voodoo1.

Win98 Gold: 1GHz PIII - GeForce2 - Voodoo2 - 768MB - SCSI 😀

Reply 98 of 133, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah that's a major bummer about your FX, I'm sure it's really frustrating. If you disable SLI, limit the texture memory(easily done with the control panel) and set some environment variables you can get pretty much any game to run on the V2.

"Retro Rocket"