VOGONS

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tom's Hardware has an article looking at Intel's OEM mobo history. It starts with the Intel Batman mobo (Socket 4) and ends up with that Skulltrail (Socket 771) mobo that was rather wanting and wasteful.😉
http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/498- … ail-badaxe.html

Reply 1 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks for the info, I will check the article 😀 I always enjoy such things

edit: hmmm.... so much basic info, this best suits today's kids to learn computer history 🤣

Reply 3 of 7, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the link, but this article reminds me why I usually stay away from Tom's Hardware.
The pictures are nice, but the article is very poorly researched. There are so many errors on the first few pages that I didn't bother to read the rest. If you want to learn about old boards, don't take this crap seriously.

Reply 4 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No argument there, 5u3. The photos are nice but the rest is rather useless. They skipped a ton of boards that I know of offhand. The only reason they brought the old hardware up at all though was because they saw those particular boards in the hallway there.

Red Hill Guide is another good source for old hardware history, but they don't cover much in the way of the Intel OEM boards.

Here's a link to some more info about old Intel OEM mobos (440LX and older):
http://www.rcollins.org/intel.doc/IntelMotherBoards.html

I'm kinda interested in these boards primarily because they were what Dell and Gateway 2000 over here in the US used almost exclusively during the Pentium years. I've have friends who owned a few of them over the years too. They are reliable mobos.

Reply 5 of 7, by MartinC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"There’s 256KB of cache mounted on the PCB—a laughable amount compared to the several megabytes now baked into modern CPUs"
Mhh...this amount of cache went on from the date stated; 1994 to 6 years later so not really laughable IMO.

Reply 6 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are still 256KB cache chips out there right now. Or at least very recently. Sempron K8 and Celeron D come to mind.

The tone of the article makes me feel that it was written by a semi-clueless teenager "enthusiast" who sees Pentiums as ancient archaic ridiculous hardware.

Reply 7 of 7, by MartinC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, need to appreciate the past. It's quite silly to say "damn that was slow" type statements, instead some insight into the time period & not compare it to the now 😜

Win98 Gold: 1GHz PIII - GeForce2 - Voodoo2 - 768MB - SCSI 😀