VOGONS

First post, by MartinC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got 1 need a match 😀

Anyone who has one they would like to sell send me a private message.

Win98 Gold: 1GHz PIII - GeForce2 - Voodoo2 - 768MB - SCSI 😀

Reply 2 of 16, by MartinC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
2Mourty wrote:

Here you go! The auction is even at a good price right now! 😁

cgi.ebay.com/Diamond-Monster-II-PCI-12M ... 1|294%3A50

Thanks but I need a Creative V2

Reply 3 of 16, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good Luck to ya! When I got my Voodoo's I was lucky enough to get a the whole thing, 2x cards, VGA and SLI cables in a single auction. I paid about $60 for it too. I'm pretty sure mine are STB Blackmagic, although interesting thing is that one has 90mhz ram chips and the other has 100mhz. That detail doesn't seem to matter though.

Edit: Corrected brand of card, though I had Diamonds aswell.

Last edited by prophase_j on 2009-03-26, 21:18. Edited 1 time in total.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 4 of 16, by MartinC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
prophase_j wrote:

Good Luck to ya! When I got my Voodoo's I was lucky enough to get a the whole thing, 2x cards, VGA and SLI cables in a single auction. I paid about $60 for it too. I'm pretty sure mine are Diamond Monster II's, although interesting thing is that one has 90mhz ram chips and the other has 100mhz. That detail doesn't seem to matter though.

Wow, that's interesting, 90MHz RAM chips with 100MHz, clearly they would all have to be down clocked to 90MHz. I doubt they could be a matched pair?

Reply 5 of 16, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think the default clock speed for the voodoo's is 90mhz, for the memory and core. I found out one day the driver I was using, Fastvoodoo 4.6 overclocks the cards to 93mhz by default. I left it at this setting and haven't had a problem. I have seen some cards that have chips rated at 110mhz. I never really figured it would be worth the hassle though.

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 6 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

AFAIK for SLI of the V2 you don't really need a matched pair. But my memory could be hazy 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 16, by MartinC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

AFAIK for SLI of the V2 you don't really need a matched pair. But my memory could be hazy 😀

Yes you need a modified driver, I'm curious now as to whether there is ANY difference with a "matched" & non-matched pair, I mean going by what prophase_j has stated a matched pair isn't all that matched, from a technical point of view.

I wonder if it's just a silly line code in the drivers that simply checks for manufacturer & allows or disallows & nothing more, maybe to give the manufactures control over their products

The driver dev's would be able to give insight into this

Reply 8 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AFAIR, on the latest versions of the voodoo2 , 3dfx already included the option to use different makes for SLI. Only limitation was that both should have the same amount of DRAM.... IIRC ofcourse 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 16, by MartinC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:

AFAIR, on the latest versions of the voodoo2 , 3dfx already included the option to use different makes for SLI. Only limitation was that both should have the same amount of DRAM.... IIRC ofcourse 🤣

Going by this image I stumbled upon maybe there is a driver that can work with diffrent amounts of RAM too:

Voodoo2_SLI.jpg

Reply 10 of 16, by MartinC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sooo pissed off, I missed an auction on eBay 2 X Wicked 3D 12MB cards sold for $60 with SLI cable & all they must have been purchased in an SLI pack. This was a few weeks back & I was short on cash anyways but it seems they are getting pretty rare on eBay, I predict that in a few years time it will be $100+ for a single V2 card

Reply 11 of 16, by MartinC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Look at this:
cgi.ebay.com.au/4x-Voodoo2-3D-Beschleun ... 240%3A1318

Anyway I managed to find a Creative V2 on a local online market & another guy has 2 x V2's, I offered him $30 for the both, fair I think.

Reply 12 of 16, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Asking for more then 10e per V2 is a highway robbery. And personally I wouldn't take anything thats not Diamond 😀

As far as I remember, only diamond V2 worked flawlessly @ 100Mhz clock, where Creative and co worked at 90Mhz. Diamond was the best V1 card and the best V2 cart as well. Good old monsters...

Reply 13 of 16, by MartinC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elfuego wrote:

Asking for more then 10e per V2 is a highway robbery. And personally I wouldn't take anything thats not Diamond 😀

As far as I remember, only diamond V2 worked flawlessly @ 100Mhz clock, where Creative and co worked at 90Mhz. Diamond was the best V1 card and the best V2 cart as well. Good old monsters...

Well I got perfectly matched Creative V2's, mem and all, the game that runs best with them is UT, more responsive than Geforce & feels faster, more like an arcade game.

Quake2 is garbage with Glide.

Still can't get Blood running, DOS window just says "finished" and sometimes just stalls after the startup screen, shame cos I loved that game and never played it with 3DFX....

Reply 14 of 16, by Tualatin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elfuego wrote:

That's right. Diamonds V1 and V2 were overclocked straight out of the box. Remember their slogan, if you are not at 60 FPS! You can't play?

MartinC wrote:

Well I got perfectly matched Creative V2's, mem and all, the game that runs best with them is UT, more responsive than Geforce & feels faster, more like an arcade game.

Unless you use the newest OpenGL renderer with S3 compressed textures. You can actually make a V5 to use it too but that won't be as fast would it?

MartinC wrote:

Ahh right, you didn't like the software rendering did you? Remember it's an old OpenGL game.

MartinC wrote:

Still can't get Blood running, DOS window just says "finished" and sometimes just stalls after the startup screen, shame cos I loved that game and never played it with 3DFX....

I played Blood as well as Shadow Warrior both "patched" to support 3dfx hardware. However I wasn't impressed at all... it only made the games blurry. Everything was still rendered in 2.5D. You were not missing much. About the same time released Turok was a different case.

I think it wasn't before V3 when 3dfx introduced the LOD bias feature.... well that's another story. Your V2 is capable of Edge AntiAliasing with some 3rd party drivers. Be sure to check that.

I was gonna say why you didn't get a V3/V5 instead.. but now I am going to shut up.

Reply 15 of 16, by MartinC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tualatin wrote:
MartinC wrote:

Ahh right, you didn't like the software rendering did you? Remember it's an old OpenGL game.

I was comparing 3DFX Glide to the Geforce2, OpenGL.

Tualatin wrote:
MartinC wrote:

Still can't get Blood running, DOS window just says
I was gonna say why you didn't get a V3/V5 instead.. but now I am going to shut up.

wanted SLI and T&L which I got with the Geforce+Voodoo combo.

Reply 16 of 16, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MartinC wrote:
I was comparing 3DFX Glide to the Geforce2, OpenGL. […]
Show full quote
Tualatin wrote:
MartinC wrote:

I was comparing 3DFX Glide to the Geforce2, OpenGL.

Tualatin wrote:
MartinC wrote:

Still can't get Blood running, DOS window just says

wanted SLI and T&L which I got with the Geforce+Voodoo combo.

Don't forget to check out the wickedGL drivers for OGL games...

http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/3dfx/wickedgl/index.php

"Retro Rocket"