VOGONS

First post, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A few people have seen my VLB Pentium motherboard, but I thought I'd share the rest of the system. I built it mostly in order to play early multi-media CD-ROM games and use later Win31 applications. I also built it because I was always jealous of the early Pentium adopters.

-TMC PAT45PVS VLB Motherboard w/15ns 512kb WB L2
-Pentium Overdrive 133MHz (Socket4)
-128MB FPM DRAM (maximum)
-SIIG PIO4 VLB Multi I/O
-Number Nine Motion 771 VLB w/4MB VRAM (S3 968)
-Soundblaster AWE64 Gold w/standard 4MB Wavetable
-Adaptec 1542CP SCSI Host
-Intel 10mbps NIC
-IBM 34GXP 20GB 7200RPM EIDE
-Plextor PX-32CSi 32X Caddy CD-ROM Drive SCSI
-Iomega Zip100 SCSI internal

Picture%20030.jpg
I am using an Inwin ATX case. I believe the model is H500. Plextor 32X caddy loader and Iomega Zip100 are installed.

Picture%20031.jpg
The back view showing all the goodies installed. Notice the lovely ATX backplate to cover the gape.

Picture%20032.jpg
It's a mess in there. In the bottom left corner you can just barely make out the adapter I use to connect the ATX power supply to this AT board.

VLBPentium.jpg
TMC PAT45PVS Socket4 Pentium board. It's little more than a 486 motherboard with a socket for a Pentium and some extra cache. This photo is fairly old, and I no longer use this memory configuration.

Picture%20041.jpg
For some reason this board supports the goofiest memory configurations. It might be because it only has a 32-bit interleaved memory bus, rather than the 64-bit bus like a proper Pentium should. It takes only FPM memory, and can only work with parity disabled when the full 128mb is installed as pictured above (two double sided 32MB, one single sided 64mb SIMM)

Picture%20033.jpg
The incredible 5V Socket4.

Picture%20035.jpg
This card took me forever to find. It is based on S3 968. At one point the Diamond version of this card was fairly common, but not so much anymore. It uses a very nice 220MHz RAMDAC, so you can even get decent refresh rates at 1280x1024 and 1600x1200 resolutions.

Picture%20036.jpg

This is an SIIG PIO4 multi I/O with dedicated BIOS. I tested about 6 non-caching IDE controllers, and this one seemed to be the fastest. I'll likely upgrade to a caching controller eventually.

Last edited by Anonymous Coward on 2009-08-09, 15:53. Edited 2 times in total.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 18, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hopefully mine won't meet the same fate, because I like it.

Reply 3 of 18, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think this motherboard is cool 😀

It just breathes 486 motherboard but they "hot rod'ed" it with a socket 4 socket...weird design since it will be bottlenecked by a 32bit bus

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 5 of 18, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Err, which dual connector cards? The IDE or SCSI controller?

Reply 7 of 18, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I haven't done any hardcore benchmark testing, but on the Wintune tests I ran the graphics and hard disk performance was excellent. I found VLB to be a bit gimpy on 386 systems, but this does not seem to be the case with the Pentium.

Reply 9 of 18, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, under those conditions the VL bus is probably chained off the PCI bus.

Reply 10 of 18, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm impressed with the ATX to AT retrofit job you've pulled off. How hard was it to find an AT plate for an ATX case? Any issues mounting the motherboard? Any caveats with that ATX to AT power supply adapter?

I'd think many people would like to hear about this aspect of it since it's harder and harder to find good AT cases and good AT PSU's anymore. Your experience with this one might help lower the barriers for others thinking of building a retro rig.

Reply 11 of 18, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The board seemed to fit perfectly into this case. All of the mounting holes lined up properly.
There was a small difficulty with the ATX to AT power adapter cable regarding the power switch. There was a metal spring in the plastic case button that had to be removed to allow the new switch to turn on and off properly. Not a big deal I guess.
Finding the new back panel was also a bit annoying. After quite a bit of searching I did find an ebay seller that had it. I think I paid about a $1 for it. The panel didn't really fit my case though, so I ended up having to drill two holes and use screws to secure it.
Overall I wouldn't say it was very challenging. You can pull off the whole mod for something like $10. Using the ATX power supply is optional. A regular slim AT power supply should be able to fit an ATX case.

Reply 13 of 18, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That board is an absolute bastard. Must be pretty rare. You said something about an interleaved memory sub-system, dose that mean there is a dual channel function? Or is it still 32-bits all the way across. I haven't really heard much of Socket 4.. but I'm guessing the main goal of the design was to harness the Pentium bus with 486 generation components.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 14 of 18, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not really sure what the difference is, but memory interleaving and dual channel memory seem to accomplish about the same thing: effectively doubling the datapath of the memory bus.

Anyone in here know what the difference is?

Reply 15 of 18, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I'm not really sure what the difference is, but memory interleaving and dual channel memory seem to accomplish about the same thing: effectively doubling the datapath of the memory bus.

It is a way for slower DRAM to transfer data to and from the CPU, basically increasing the memory bandwidth of the installed memory modules.

Not really dual-channel memory mode however 😉

Remember that the older FPM and even the EDO type modules are slow compared to PC133 memory not to mention DDR1/2/3 types....

Wiki

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 17 of 18, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Memory interleaving is taking separate RAM banks and interleaving your data among them. It's just a smart way to take "advantage" of slow RAM access time.

This is something that got much more popular towards the end of the '90s. I know some older video cards use it too, such as some ET4000 VLB cards which need 2MB to utilize it.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/ram/timingInterleaving-c.html
http://www.macspeedzone.com/archive/Compariso … nterleaved.html

Bank 0                      Bank 1
----------------- -----------------
| 0 | | 1 |
| 2 | | 3 |
| 4 | | 5 |
~ ~ ~ ~
| 2N-4 | | 2N-3 |
| 2N-2 | | 2N-1 |
^ ^
| |
v v
| Buffer | | Buffer |
^ ^
| |
v System Data Bus v
-----------------------------------------------------

Actually did you guys ever think about how SIMMs on 64-bit mobos are actually a dual channel setup? 😀 SIMMs are 32-bits wide so you need 2 of them to get a 64-bit data bus. It's just like today with 128-bit data buses running 2x64-bit DIMMs. For some reason this didn't occur to me until I saw it specifically called dual channel EDO by Everest.