First post, by Bem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

:

First of all, sorry my english is not good at all. 🙁

Here's the spec: 😊

AMD Am 5x86 133 - P75
SYL8884 (support PCI 2.0, ISA, 2 IDE Port, LPT, Serial, 2x 72 pins slot memory)
32 MB EDO Ram (i will try upgrade to 64 or 128 MB)
Intel Dual Port Server Adapter (PCI)
MPEG2000 Decoder (ISA)
Eagle ESS 1869 SoundCard (ISA)
FM Radio Forte (ISA)
4 ports PCI USB (works only 1 port, because troubled with the Win 95 IRQ settings) (PCI)
ATi Rage All In Wonder 4 MB (but i don't know how to set up the TV function 🙁 🙁 🙁 ) (PCI)
6.4 GB IDE HDD
24x Samsung CDROM
1.44 FDD
1.2 FDD
Generic PSU 200 watt
Mini Tower Case

1. Until now, i have only use MS DOS and Windows 95 B, I also tried installing Win 98SE and it worked, but it was too slow on running application, so it was just for USB devices detection. Is there any Linux distro which can be installed on 486 machine that support USB devices without installing the USB device driver? Automatic detection just like WIndows ME or XP. I tried my Kingston 128 Mb FlashDisk on Win95 B and 98 SE, it worked.

2. And, if i put MPEG2 DVD Decoder PCI Card + DVD-Drive on my machine, will it be able to play DVD Movie? I haven't try the DOS DVD Player.

3. How to reprogram the BIOS, so it can detect new hardware devices like SATA drive?

4. I have tried to overclock it to 160 MHz (4x40Mhz), but i wasnt stable, maybe the memory speed.

5. i'm still searching other legacy add-on PCi or ISA cards, that have all in 1 function, like the Modem Sound card, etc. So it will be multi functon ports.

6. The other things that i havent try is to attach USB Keyboard and Mouse using serial and PS2 adapter + using the 2nd IDE port.

Sorry no photo, but i will upload it ASAP.

Viva oldies!!!

Attachments

• 486.jpg
    Filename
    486.jpg
    File size
    48.81 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    The USB PCI card pulled out.
    i will add other photos later
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 4, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's one beefed up 486 😀

But where's the pics of it's guts? 😮

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 4 of 4, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one of those damn SYL8884PCI boards too, but I haven't been able to get it to boot up so far. I tested all the questionable traces and have looked for bad solder joints, but I can't figure out what the hell is wrong. I suspect it might be a dead flash BIOS, but I have no way to test it.

Looks like a nice board when it works though.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium