VOGONS

post up pics of your "computing area"

Topic actions

Reply 340 of 2213, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice! You're lucky to have both the daughter and the nerd corner. Do you play games with your kid? My 4 year old girl has begun to take an interest in my computers and we're currently working our way through "The Lost Vikings" on a 486 - she's quite the little problem solver.

The other night she patted the 486 and said "I can't believe you found this in the rubbish Dad, it's a beauty."

I approved.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 341 of 2213, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually she uses her new "ipad" much more than her computer I so lovingly build for her. 😒 I introduced her to The Incredible Machine (one of my all time favorites) but she prefers Cut the Rope in her ipad.

These ipad generetion is really lazy. ... 😏

But she likes to watch me when I play Doom and Duke 3D so maybe not all lost yet... 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 342 of 2213, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmofo wrote:

Very nice! You're lucky to have both the daughter and the nerd corner. Do you play games with your kid? My 4 year old girl has begun to take an interest in my computers and we're currently working our way through "The Lost Vikings" on a 486 - she's quite the little problem solver.

The other night she patted the 486 and said "I can't believe you found this in the rubbish Dad, it's a beauty."

I approved.

that game is so hard (probably not very good gamer) I have it on the sega.

Reply 343 of 2213, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cdoublejj wrote:

Yeah it gets pretty tricky towards the end, and there's no swearing or bashing the keyboard allowed with a 4-year-old watching on.

I'm learning to be a zen gamer.

Reply 344 of 2213, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 6 year old daughter has been playing my 386, I taught her how to enter the bios and add a 1.44mb floppy then exit and save(Dont have a battery), then press the f8 button to enter dos mode, I made some .bat files to run games from the dos prompt.

She likes commander keen (With cheats of course), alot of games are too hard for her I dont think she has the patience that I did learning to play games, that said she does pretty well with jill of the jungle without cheats.

Reply 346 of 2213, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmofo wrote:
cdoublejj wrote:

Yeah it gets pretty tricky towards the end, and there's no swearing or bashing the keyboard allowed with a 4-year-old watching on.

I'm learning to be a zen gamer.

HA! I never had the attention span to make it past the first few levels. I mean that in sense of playing it last year or they ear before.

Reply 348 of 2213, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bristlehog wrote:

Is that a Cooler Master Cosmos EATX case there, tayyare? Do you use it for your retro-rig?

Yeah, it contains my 8088 XT build.. 🤣

My retro PIII is the one at the other side of table, under the external SCSI DVD writer.

Have three others (a 386, a 486 and an MMX) but stroed in a bookcase, sitting in vairous states of completeness.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 349 of 2213, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:

Yeah, it contains my 8088 XT build.. 🤣

Whoa! Haven't you had any problems installing a XT motherboard into an ATX case? What do you say about the case anyway, is it any quiet?

Reply 350 of 2213, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I'll "show off" my reserved space. it's 2 by 4 meters of sheer happiness, and the only room I get in the house to cavort in my hobby.

Attachments

• Filename
    1-IMG_0190.JPG
    File size
    104.83 KiB
    Downloads
    71 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    1-IMG_0191.JPG
    File size
    109.1 KiB
    Downloads
    76 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 352 of 2213, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cloudschatze wrote:
http://www.symphoniae.com/misc/studio_13_s.jpg […]
Show full quote

studio_13_s.jpg

That's a nice clean space with some nice toys:)

Why so many MT-32's?

Reply 353 of 2213, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
flupke11 wrote:

Well, I'll "show off" my reserved space. it's 2 by 4 meters of sheer happiness, and the only room I get in the house to cavort in my hobby.

Oh sh*t! Why you stack up your computer? Is it safe when disaster come? 🤣

Reply 354 of 2213, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
northernosprey02 wrote:
flupke11 wrote:

Oh sh*t! Why you stack up your computer? Is it safe when disaster come? 🤣

Well, A) I don't get more space than this, so I need to go vertical in order to cram as much into this space as possible, and B) no worries here for natural disasters 😁

Reply 355 of 2213, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cloudschatze wrote:
http://www.symphoniae.com/misc/studio_13_s.jpg […]
Show full quote

studio_13_s.jpg

Beautiful as always. Have you been reorganizing?

I tried keeping my room clean and uncluttered like that a few times. Never lasted more than two days though 🤣

Reply 356 of 2213, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For comparison, here are some pictures of my pile of junk, taken five minutes ago using the tripod mount I made last week:
Overview:
http://imageshack.us/a/img7/7417/img4055x.jpg

Control center:
http://imageshack.us/a/img829/6569/img4058x.jpg

Amplifier collection:
http://imageshack.us/a/img850/489/img4056x.jpg

The reason I'm here:
http://imageshack.us/a/img13/9151/img4057xp.jpg

Reply 357 of 2213, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rgart wrote:

Why so many MT-32's?

Polyphony/compatibility

jwt27 wrote:

Have you been reorganizing?

Not really. The setup is basically still the same as it was back in 2009. The minor changes are that the CSM-1 is now on this desk, instead of the (non-pictured) one to the left, and the addition of a pair of Roland DS-30A monitors early last year (specifically for use with the VSR-880). It's because of the latter that I felt like I needed a new photo. The (likewise non-pictured) A-80 keyboard is also now directly perpendicular to the pictured desk (in an "L" configuration), so both it and the D-10 are directly accessible from the same bench/stool.

Reply 359 of 2213, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jwt27 wrote:
Cloudschatze wrote:

I tried keeping my room clean and uncluttered like that a few times. Never lasted more than two days though 🤣

I'm like that as well 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel