Topic actions

Reply 960 of 2202, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xplus93 wrote:
seob wrote:

May not be the nices way to stack cards, but they are not made of glass and can stand a little beating. That said, the risk of ripping or damaging high components is possible.

It WILL damage them. I recently acquired a Voodoo 5 which was bent from years of weight on top and had components knocked off. Luckily I was able to pass it onto someone who I hope can fix it.

I was going to mention the flexing. I've got an ASUS GF2 which had some custom s370 HSF bolted onto it, I removed that abominating cooling solution but I think it won't even fit into an AGP slot now...
Especially longer and somewhat more slender expansion cards (like Voodoo 5, but also like VLB cards and other cards that don't have very stiff full-length cooling solutions) are prone to this.
And it may look perfectly fine when putting something else on top of it, but as time passes, a bump here, a slight redistribution of topside weight there, a single stack may even fall over... it may even help in developing loose solder joints or create other problems which may end up in intermittent defects which may be very hard to track down ("It was tested good before I put it on the bottom of that stack?").

I really don't recommend storing this way. The only thing worse is if it's put into a box like that and the box gets moved around.

edit:
I've actually been busy earlier today carving sheets of cardboard, particularly for the purpose of putting in between PCBs so they don't damage eachother when stored together.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 961 of 2202, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xplus93 wrote:
seob wrote:

May not be the nices way to stack cards, but they are not made of glass and can stand a little beating. That said, the risk of ripping or damaging high components is possible.

It WILL damage them. I recently acquired a Voodoo 5 which was bent from years of weight on top and had components knocked off. Luckily I was able to pass it onto someone who I hope can fix it.

I would also add even not stacking those IDE hard drives like that either. I'd move those to the floor level if there is room at the very bottom or at least on the lowest rung. What will happen during an earthquake or some violent thrashing or a collapse of one of the levels due to weight will send all those hard drives to the floor and trust me you'll be glad you did. It doesn't take much height to kill IDE hard drives of that age. A few I dropped at hand level by accident onto a carpet rug and it was dead. It might power up but no can read and then it's to the dumper.

As for stacking the video cards or any cards vertically as if in a computer motherboard is the best way if you can. You can use some cheap paper towel roll cardboard holders after you're done with it and flatten them and insert in between if you want a little cushion or order some USPS free shipping boxes and cut them up to size as little dividers but just make sure no government employees friends drop by your place. 😵

I've stacked things that way in the past. I remember a few of the older ISA modem cards I had that had internal speakers on it. Stacking a few of those older cards with the soldering and sharp edges sticking it it ripped into the the paper material of the speaker. So it really depends if you care about the components looking undamaged. Imagine if those were all Voodoo 5 cards stacked like that... 😐

The only thing I can see that you might be able to do to improve space is get rid of those older VGA CRT monitors. Keep any ancient Monochrome, CGA, and EGA or Multisync ones as those are harder to come by but all VGA monitors aren't really needed anymore (most end up dying on their own or flickering intermittently) and if you look around at least HDTVs from 5 years ago they still had some VGA inputs and on mine I have Coaxial, Composite, Component, and HDMI so it's an all in one solution but today most have gone all HDMI which is a shame. But these flat screens are a blessing for VGA input if you can find them used on eBay maybe occupy 3 inches of space in some cases. I had a behemoth juggernaut 22" NEC Multisync monitor and putting it on the desk I only had room for my keyboard in front of it. Replaced it with so called Flat screen HDTV and now I got room than enough room to spare and not feel like the VGA monitor is in my face.

Reply 962 of 2202, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My little messed up corner - it had actually been a bit sorted out when taking the photo - as the apartment has been put on sale and if needed I clean it up real quick 😉

TWwr3C6m.jpg

On the right side is my retro space for doing all the testing and messing around stuff. You can see ATX and AT PSU one on top of the other. Then 22" LCD LG M228VA with all important inputs (SCART, VGA, DVI, S-video, component, composite & TV in).

In the middle is my main setup - 34" UltraWide 3440x1440 AOC monitor, under the monitor is a dock with HP 840 G3 laptop and smallish Dell keyboard.

On the left is just a HP 2065 20" 1600x1200 monitor intended for use for emulators as being 4:3 or 3:4 with Pivot - but not much use so far 🙁

Under the desk are boxes filled with retro stuff and main desktop machine - not in use for quite some time now (Phenom II X6, 16GB DDR3, 240GB SSD, 3TB HDD...). On the shelf there are some boxed games and apps. In the "Space hawk" box there is a complete boxed Atari 800XL - only tested when I bought it last year. Will set it up when I move to a house in a couple of weeks. Actually I'll have to think about what to setup as a permanent machines. Right now I'm thinking (Atari 800XL, Amiga 1200, Atari 1040STFM, PC 286, PC 486slc, PC 486DX/4, some Pentium or K6-3+, P3-S 1.4 Dual,... ) But in reality this will be a challenge as I have way too many interesting stuff to put together. 😲

I might as well put a photo of this corner when it was full - even the window was blocked with boxes (not cool). Every space was filled with boxes - no empty space left 😊

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 963 of 2202, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

Actually I'll have to think about what to setup as a permanent machines. Right now I'm thinking (Atari 800XL, Amiga 1200, Atari 1040STFM, PC 286, PC 486slc, PC 486DX/4, some Pentium or K6-3+, P3-S 1.4 Dual,... ) But in reality this will be a challenge as I have way too many interesting stuff to put together. 😲

Yeah, prioritizing limited desk space can be frustrating. Especially if you get into the Macintosh side of things. All in ones can't be connected to a KVM and need their own space. I already need to find room for a Mac Plus and LC575, now I have to make room for an eMac.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 964 of 2202, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xplus93 wrote:
kixs wrote:

Actually I'll have to think about what to setup as a permanent machines. Right now I'm thinking (Atari 800XL, Amiga 1200, Atari 1040STFM, PC 286, PC 486slc, PC 486DX/4, some Pentium or K6-3+, P3-S 1.4 Dual,... ) But in reality this will be a challenge as I have way too many interesting stuff to put together. 😲

Yeah, prioritizing limited desk space can be frustrating. Especially if you get into the Macintosh side of things. All in ones can't be connected to a KVM and need their own space. I already need to find room for a Mac Plus and LC575, now I have to make room for an eMac.

Was there anything special about those Macs you are planning to hook up? Could the LC575 play Lode Runner or Ancient Art of War on it? Dark Castle? eMac? Any special game software that was exclusive to the these MACs not found on the PC?

kixs wrote:
My little messed up corner - it had actually been a bit sorted out when taking the photo - as the apartment has been put on sale […]
Show full quote

My little messed up corner - it had actually been a bit sorted out when taking the photo - as the apartment has been put on sale and if needed I clean it up real quick 😉

TWwr3C6m.jpg

On the right side is my retro space for doing all the testing and messing around stuff. You can see ATX and AT PSU one on top of the other. Then 22" LCD LG M228VA with all important inputs (SCART, VGA, DVI, S-video, component, composite & TV in).

In the middle is my main setup - 34" UltraWide 3440x1440 AOC monitor, under the monitor is a dock with HP 840 G3 laptop and smallish Dell keyboard.

On the left is just a HP 2065 20" 1600x1200 monitor intended for use for emulators as being 4:3 or 3:4 with Pivot - but not much use so far 🙁

Under the desk are boxes filled with retro stuff and main desktop machine - not in use for quite some time now (Phenom II X6, 16GB DDR3, 240GB SSD, 3TB HDD...). On the shelf there are some boxed games and apps. In the "Space hawk" box there is a complete boxed Atari 800XL - only tested when I bought it last year. Will set it up when I move to a house in a couple of weeks. Actually I'll have to think about what to setup as a permanent machines. Right now I'm thinking (Atari 800XL, Amiga 1200, Atari 1040STFM, PC 286, PC 486slc, PC 486DX/4, some Pentium or K6-3+, P3-S 1.4 Dual,... ) But in reality this will be a challenge as I have way too many interesting stuff to put together. 😲

I might as well put a photo of this corner when it was full - even the window was blocked with boxes (not cool). Every space was filled with boxes - no empty space left 😊

Nice little man cave corner you got. Definitely tidier than what I got here. I stack two full length tables on top of each each other to use more of the vertical space.

I would suggest from your list of vintage computers a more condensed must need list.
Atari 800, Atari 130XE, Atari 1040 STFM, Amiga 1000, 80286 up to 8/10MHz if you have one with a turbo button if not then an 8088 for bootable games and CGA/Monochrome based. 80486 33MHz for legacy DOS games with Sound Blaster support and MT-32 hook up. Apple IIGS, Mac Classic unless Mac Classic Color could run all Mac Classic software which I'm not entirely sure since my Mac Classic Color died before I could test such games. I don't see the need for an iMAC or any newer MACs in general unless there were some peculiar MAC games that existed that didn't on the PC side then I'm interested in knowing which ones. I love trying each possible version of a game if possible.

Another PC from the Socket 775 era with AGP/PCIe hybrid slot motherboard for 9X/ME straight gaming.

A Commodore 64 or 128 and I think that would pretty much cover the same amount of vintage gaming systems you will need in that room.

As for a modern Windows system you can probably hold off till CannonLake when they hopefully will pop out a consumer desktop 6 core unless they happen to jump to 8 core finally because of AMD AM4 Ryzen threatening them finally. Then you could make the best XP/W7/W10 machine if needed for modern gaming. Although if you want one today I'd like to see someone build an AMD AM4 Ryzen 7 1700 octocore system. If any problems getting XP to install I'll help out.

Reply 965 of 2202, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
95DosBox wrote:
I would also add even not stacking those IDE hard drives like that either. I'd move those to the floor level if there is room a […]
Show full quote
xplus93 wrote:
seob wrote:

I would also add even not stacking those IDE hard drives like that either. I'd move those to the floor level if there is room at the very bottom or at least on the lowest rung. What will happen during an earthquake or some violent thrashing or a collapse of one of the levels due to weight will send all those hard drives to the floor and trust me you'll be glad you did. It doesn't take much height to kill IDE hard drives of that age. A few I dropped at hand level by accident onto a carpet rug and it was dead. It might power up but no can read and then it's to the dumper.

As for stacking the video cards or any cards vertically as if in a computer motherboard is the best way if you can. You can use some cheap paper towel roll cardboard holders after you're done with it and flatten them and insert in between if you want a little cushion or order some USPS free shipping boxes and cut them up to size as little dividers but just make sure no government employees friends drop by your place. 😵

I've stacked things that way in the past. I remember a few of the older ISA modem cards I had that had internal speakers on it. Stacking a few of those older cards with the soldering and sharp edges sticking it it ripped into the the paper material of the speaker. So it really depends if you care about the components looking undamaged. Imagine if those were all Voodoo 5 cards stacked like that... 😐

The only thing I can see that you might be able to do to improve space is get rid of those older VGA CRT monitors. Keep any ancient Monochrome, CGA, and EGA or Multisync ones as those are harder to come by but all VGA monitors aren't really needed anymore (most end up dying on their own or flickering intermittently) and if you look around at least HDTVs from 5 years ago they still had some VGA inputs and on mine I have Coaxial, Composite, Component, and HDMI so it's an all in one solution but today most have gone all HDMI which is a shame. But these flat screens are a blessing for VGA input if you can find them used on eBay maybe occupy 3 inches of space in some cases. I had a behemoth juggernaut 22" NEC Multisync monitor and putting it on the desk I only had room for my keyboard in front of it. Replaced it with so called Flat screen HDTV and now I got room than enough room to spare and not feel like the VGA monitor is in my face.

The Guardians of Vintage Hardware in the Galaxy to the rescue! Hehe. You guys are right. I had my ideas of putting slaughterboards and Tridents and the like in the bottom and have the more exiting stuff higher up in the stacks. It appears from the picture the parts have been manhandled into the shelves, but I put one on top of the other ever so carefully. It was a quick and dirty move. Of course I can not be safe from pcb bending over time. I have seen other users make a stand for add-in boards so they stand upright next to one another, easily accessible to get picked up whenever you want to use one. I should find a similar solution.

As for the HDDs, they have now been imaged and low-level formatted from BIOS and then relocated. Not on the floor though, aren't any earthquakes worth mentioning where I live.
Oh, and I happen to love my 21 inch CRT. It will never go. If it some day caves in, I'll put in an LCD panel and a radiator in the back for a ninja water cooling loop.

"an occasional fart in their general direction would provide more than enough cooling" —PCBONEZ

Reply 966 of 2202, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DeafPK wrote:

The Guardians of Vintage Hardware in the Galaxy to the rescue! Hehe. You guys are right. I had my ideas of putting slaughterboards and Tridents and the like in the bottom and have the more exiting stuff higher up in the stacks. It appears from the picture the parts have been manhandled into the shelves, but I put one on top of the other ever so carefully. It was a quick and dirty move. Of course I can not be safe from pcb bending over time. I have seen other users make a stand for add-in boards so they stand upright next to one another, easily accessible to get picked up whenever you want to use one. I should find a similar solution.

As for the HDDs, they have now been imaged and low-level formatted from BIOS and then relocated. Not on the floor though, aren't any earthquakes worth mentioning where I live.
Oh, and I happen to love my 21 inch CRT. It will never go. If it some day caves in, I'll put in an LCD panel and a radiator in the back for a ninja water cooling loop.

I have a huge inventory of MFM, RLL, and SCSI hard drives. But I doubt I will end up reusing them any time soon. Had a relative who closed a warehouse down recently and wanted me to grab all theirs but I simply had no real space so I refused most of them. Sometimes junk is junk when you have too much of something.

Reply 967 of 2202, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

aww ye

Attachments

• Hl9lrEH.jpg
    Filename
    Hl9lrEH.jpg
    File size
    202.34 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 969 of 2202, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DeafPK wrote:

If you'd like to see how other Vogoners have stored their parts, there were a couple threads which might interest you:
How do you store your computer parts? How do you store your computer parts?
How do you organise / sort / store all your retro gear? How do you organise / sort / store all your retro gear?
How do we store our (hardware) collection? Lets all share tips of how we organize our collection of retro computer stuff :)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 970 of 2202, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the threads, man!

I have now plugged the most of the add-in cards into motherboards and laid them in the shelves. It now looks like this:

qL1TSi2.jpg

05Pqoaf.jpg

Funny thing is I had 3x PCI modems (!) that has to go. I mean, totally worthless.

"an occasional fart in their general direction would provide more than enough cooling" —PCBONEZ

Reply 971 of 2202, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DeafPK wrote:
Thanks for the threads, man! […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the threads, man!

I have now plugged the most of the add-in cards into motherboards and laid them in the shelves. It now looks like this:

qL1TSi2.jpg

05Pqoaf.jpg

Funny thing is I had 3x PCI modems (!) that has to go. I mean, totally worthless.

Smart plugging them into the motherboard. Only thing I'd add to that is place a USPS Flat Rate box that is flat on the bottom so the motherboard solder and metal pins don't scratch up the wood when you move it in and out.

I'm not sure if there is enough room to squeeze in a small cardboard flat underneath the vertical cards stacked which look much better now not being compressed or scratching each other as much.

Reply 972 of 2202, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:
I do a lot of that. But there's parts you just can't fix. If the PCB traces or PCI / AGP goldfingers are damaged, most of the ti […]
Show full quote

I do a lot of that. But there's parts you just can't fix. If the PCB traces or PCI / AGP goldfingers are damaged, most of the time I can't fix it - so I strip it of any usable passive components I might need (capacitors and such) and some of them of ram or ICs if they are worth the trouble. Others are fixable but are more trouble then it's worth -like a tnt2 m64 or geforce 4 mx.

Right now I'm working on fixing a voodoo 5 5500 - thread here: Need help reviving a V5 5500... and a Geforce 2 Titanium http://i.imgur.com/KiaMyWZm.jpg - these are both pretty rare and fixable since the Geforce 2 Ti is missing some (a lot actually - caps, resistors, diodes and some resistor networks) surface mount parts and once I find a 560 ohm and 220 ohm 0603 resistor network, the card should post. The V5 is another matter altogether. It has two damaged SDRAM chips - and they can only be replaced by identical chips. I can't order the chips new (can't find them anywhere) so I'll have to take them off another card - usually Geforce 2 MX cards have these 166Mhz SDRAM chips - so - a common geforce 2 mx gets salvaged for parts so that a rare voodoo 5 5500 can live on. Seems like a fair trade to me.

Did I mention both cards were rescued from a recycling center? They are missing bits because they were thrown in bins with other cards stacked on top and probably mixed around. In fact lots of the rarer cards in that display case are rescued from scrappers. Some needed repairs, others didn't. Everything except for the Asus ti4600 and the Leadtek GF 2 Ti work. The GF2 is repairable, but the ti4600 is not. The GPU is damaged. It came to me completely dead, I re-balled it (you have no idea how hard it is to get a BGA mesh for a geforce 4 ti) but it artifacts and freezes. It's cool enough to go in the display case, and it acts as a replacement for when I want to use the working Chaintech Ti4600.

Oh yeah - I updated my display cases. I moved the 939 / LGA775 and PCI-E stuff and replaced them with my ATi card collection and some PCI sound cards.

QT6NsYNh.jpg YAWnC3dh.jpg
OuFQKYBh.jpg
qNcwz8Qh.jpg

Vintage Computer Museum curator in the making. You got my vote! 🤑
Did you print those little cards out yourself? I wish I could read what it said.
Now you need to add some LED lighting at the top and bottom.

Reply 973 of 2202, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just moved into my new place and I now have my own room for my PC. No girlfriend allowed!

Still a work in progress but at least I don't have to share the room, its all mine! 😎

IMG_1932.JPG
Filename
IMG_1932.JPG
File size
2.81 MiB
Views
File license

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 974 of 2202, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Fusion wrote:

Just moved into my new place and I now have my own room for my PC. No girlfriend allowed!

Still a work in progress but at least I don't have to share the room, its all mine! 😎

IMG_1932.JPG

🤣 or you can say the room makes it an Anti-GF magnet. Which to choose... 😲

Reply 975 of 2202, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

She was already not happy with the idea of putting my mini fridge beside the computer. 🤣

If you were single all you would need to do is close the door. Hehe. "What room? Oh, that's just a storage area" >_<

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 976 of 2202, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Fusion wrote:

The room or the girlfriend? 🤣

Reply 977 of 2202, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
95DosBox wrote:
Vintage Computer Museum curator in the making. You got my vote! $) Did you print those little cards out yourself? I wish I co […]
Show full quote
kanecvr wrote:

Oh yeah - I updated my display cases.

Vintage Computer Museum curator in the making. You got my vote! 🤑
Did you print those little cards out yourself? I wish I could read what it said.
Now you need to add some LED lighting at the top and bottom.

Wow, that is an impressive display! You have my vote for curator as well! Very impressive indeed!

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 978 of 2202, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Simple and clean.

20170810_192602.jpg
Filename
20170810_192602.jpg
File size
1.68 MiB
Views
File license

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 979 of 2202, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:
I do a lot of that. But there's parts you just can't fix. If the PCB traces or PCI / AGP goldfingers are damaged, most of the ti […]
Show full quote

I do a lot of that. But there's parts you just can't fix. If the PCB traces or PCI / AGP goldfingers are damaged, most of the time I can't fix it - so I strip it of any usable passive components I might need (capacitors and such) and some of them of ram or ICs if they are worth the trouble. Others are fixable but are more trouble then it's worth -like a tnt2 m64 or geforce 4 mx.

Right now I'm working on fixing a voodoo 5 5500 - thread here: Need help reviving a V5 5500... and a Geforce 2 Titanium http://i.imgur.com/KiaMyWZm.jpg - these are both pretty rare and fixable since the Geforce 2 Ti is missing some (a lot actually - caps, resistors, diodes and some resistor networks) surface mount parts and once I find a 560 ohm and 220 ohm 0603 resistor network, the card should post. The V5 is another matter altogether. It has two damaged SDRAM chips - and they can only be replaced by identical chips. I can't order the chips new (can't find them anywhere) so I'll have to take them off another card - usually Geforce 2 MX cards have these 166Mhz SDRAM chips - so - a common geforce 2 mx gets salvaged for parts so that a rare voodoo 5 5500 can live on. Seems like a fair trade to me.

Did I mention both cards were rescued from a recycling center? They are missing bits because they were thrown in bins with other cards stacked on top and probably mixed around. In fact lots of the rarer cards in that display case are rescued from scrappers. Some needed repairs, others didn't. Everything except for the Asus ti4600 and the Leadtek GF 2 Ti work. The GF2 is repairable, but the ti4600 is not. The GPU is damaged. It came to me completely dead, I re-balled it (you have no idea how hard it is to get a BGA mesh for a geforce 4 ti) but it artifacts and freezes. It's cool enough to go in the display case, and it acts as a replacement for when I want to use the working Chaintech Ti4600.

Oh yeah - I updated my display cases. I moved the 939 / LGA775 and PCI-E stuff and replaced them with my ATi card collection and some PCI sound cards.

http://i.imgur.com/QT6NsYNh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YAWnC3dh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OuFQKYBh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qNcwz8Qh.jpg

This display is an absolute inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PixelPipes
Graphics Card Database