post up pics of your "computing area"

Topic actions

Reply 720 of 2213, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexter311 wrote:

That's a fantastic setup retrofanatic! I love the double CRT goodness. Can you tell us more about the gear under the CRT on the right?

Didn't you only just install those shelves? And now you need more! Those boxes stacked on the shelf in the last pic look way too precarious, makes me uncomfortable!

Thanks. It's still a work in progress. More details to come with much better photos when I have everything organized better and more systems in place. The gear under the crt on the right consists of:

1x Extron Crosspoint Matrix Switcher unit
2x Middle Atlantic rackmount 9 outlet power units
1x Sony VCR
1x Sony 6.1 Home Theatre Receiver

Right now only my xbox 360 and PS/2 is connected to the receiver via optical output and one of my tandy 1000's is connected to one of the analog inputs. I still have to sort out the audio for everything.

I do have an xbox, xbox 360, ps1, ps2, n64, gamecube, sega genesis, sega cd 2, wii, snes, connected to the extron switcher. I an switch between any system in the fly and display any system on either or both crts simultaneously. I also have my cable box and vcr and I forgot to mention a dvd player connected to the matrix switcher as well so that I can have tv or a movie on at the same time as a game on each crt.

There is still a bunch of rearranging and organizing I need to do. Those games stacked up in the last photo are actually held in place by being "wedged" between the ceiling and the shelf below 🤣 and even if I do take one out to play they stay in place pretty well. The jewel case games stacked are even more precarious...I plan on rearranging those. I will have a bit more space by moving some games into the closet in the room soon.

Reply 721 of 2213, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retrofanatic wrote:
Here is an update on my game room area...still have a lot of work to do with wiring and adding more of my systems out of storage […]
Show full quote

Here is an update on my game room area...still have a lot of work to do with wiring and adding more of my systems out of storage, and I've run out of shelf space already 🤣.

20160119_201304.jpg
20160119_201320.jpg
20160119_201428.jpg
20160119_201335.jpg

Lol, I think you aren't the only member here that's familiar with having stacks of stuff laying on anything that has a horizontal surface area 😁

I'm actually contemplating on what to do with my collection of games. I do know that I am gonna separate them in "games that I will play a lot" and "games for to storing someplace where I don't have to trip over them every time I walk by" 😵

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 722 of 2213, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
retrofanatic wrote:
Here is an update on my game room area...still have a lot of work to do with wiring and adding more of my systems out of storage […]
Show full quote

Here is an update on my game room area...still have a lot of work to do with wiring and adding more of my systems out of storage, and I've run out of shelf space already 🤣.

20160119_201304.jpg
20160119_201320.jpg
20160119_201428.jpg
20160119_201335.jpg

Lol, I think you aren't the only member here that's familiar with having stacks of stuff laying on anything that has a horizontal surface area 😁

I'm actually contemplating on what to do with my collection of games. I do know that I am gonna separate them in "games that I will play a lot" and "games for to storing someplace where I don't have to trip over them every time I walk by" 😵

Lol, very true, but thankfully I don't have anything lying around on the floor. Everything I have is on shelves or on top of a dresser 🤣 and pretty much contained in my "game room". If I had stuff lying on the floor that's when I know I have to get rid of it, so I try to keep it all on shelves as neat as possible so I can justify keeping it to myself (and to my gf 🤣). But I really need to organize what I have...especially my jewel case games. I do have a lot of stuff "lying around" in my garage and a closet or two 😵 ....but it's still "under control" but I think I will need to sell and/or trade some stuff soon to de-clutter a bit.

I've contemplated the same approach to organizing my games but I want to keep them all in one place as much as I can because there's always a chance that I want to play that game that I put away in storage, so I will have to come up with a good solution.

Reply 723 of 2213, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retrofanatic wrote:

Lol, very true, but thankfully I don't have anything lying around on the floor. Everything I have is on shelves or on top of a dresser 🤣 and pretty much contained in my "game room". If I had stuff lying on the floor that's when I know I have to get rid of it, so I try to keep it all on shelves as neat as possible so I can justify keeping it to myself (and to my gf 🤣). But I really need to organize what I have...especially my jewel case games. I do have a lot of stuff "lying around" in my garage and a closet or two 😵 ....but it's still "under control" but I think I will need to sell and/or trade some stuff soon to de-clutter a bit.

I've contemplated the same approach to organizing my games but I want to keep them all in one place as much as I can because there's always a chance that I want to play that game that I put away in storage, so I will have to come up with a good solution.

I know 🤣

But I do know that as long as I do nothing, then nothing will happen and my old solution wasn't very satisfying to begin with. This is how I've 'organized' my games the last couple years (it kinda evolved slowly by itself, so to speak).

I have a couple LAN weekends with a couple friends and that means either 2 or 3 rigs will be standing here (can't fit a 4th) and thus I basically have all the games we play regularly 3 times, but now I got part of my games in an old kinda tiny closet along with my old radio on top (the cassette deck doesn't work anymore though) and some audio CDs. This closet/cupboard thingy grew too small so I got a larger closet (really neat looking) and this is where I keep all my most modern games like UT2004 and games of basically that same era, but I also keep a part of my movie collection in here, and some boxes of random stuff.
And the other half of my movies collection (it's really not a big collection btw, maybe 30 or 40 movie DVDs or so) is in yet another cupboard along with stuff like empty envelopes and thus etc. But in reality, it's still a mess in the living room as everything is kinda organized, but not in a way that's very practical to me.
The other half of my games are stores in cardboard boxes under my bed and a few more are littered around the rest of the rooms here. So to me it's more about thinking about where to put what and sticking with that idea, so I have all my movies in 1 spot, all my games that I play often in 1 spot, all games that I will not play often will go into storage, but sorted in a way that I can find it again quickly without me actually having to remember where exactly it is (kinda like I already did with my hardware components)

It's ok if you have to walk through a couple rooms if you want to go fetch a game that you'd otherwise not play a lot, I think that's preferable to having to store all games in plain sight that I will hardly get used. If I'm done with any particular game (for instance if I haven't played it in a year or more) then it's time for that game to be put back into storage. And I've already sorted them by type of game, so 'modern' shooters all together, old shooters all together, all RPGs together. And games that I have many copies of (like my Sim City games) I store separately, but close to all the other simulation/building games.
All my boxes of TA go into 1 box, but I'll keep that box next or very close to the other boxes of RTS games. This way I can find stores games more quickly and it doesn't matter how many I actually have.

What would be best for me is to do it this way: First I'll obviously want to know what game to play. Then I can take a quick look to see if it's in the living room and if it's not, then it must be stored. Then I'll walk into my storage room (which is basically under my bed at this time) and take a peek at the (labeled!) boxes and simply get the box and open it. This is best as I wouldn't even need to remember where it was, I can just to take a quick look and in a minute I'll know for sure.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 724 of 2213, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hear ya...you really have to put in the effort to have things organized. Labeling everything goes a long way and helps a lot in finding what you want to play. I used to have my movie collection near my game collection, but now I make sure to keep everything separate now - Movies (VHS, LaserDiscs, DVD's, BluRay's, BetaMax), Music (Record/LP's, CD's and cassette tapes), boxed Computer Programs (windows, dos, other O/S's, productivity software, etc.), and binder's full of loose floppies, CD's and DVD's (games, programs, backups, etc.) are kept in shelves in my living room and all my complete or mostly complete PC and console Games (cartridges, boxes, jewel case, DVD case games) are kept in my "gaming/game computer room" on shelves and storage closet and drawers in an old dresser. I guess, like you, I first looked at what space I had to store things first and then made a plan to have some stuff (most in my case) 'on display' on shelves, and some in 'partial storage' somewhere else. I like the idea of storing things under the bed...I may do the same for some of my overflow stuff, but my girlfriend has some stuff under there at the moment that I may get her to move 🤣.

Reply 725 of 2213, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's me again,I've "cleaned" up my computing area.

The only thing I have to upgrade from all this...is the PC. I've got to find a AM2+ motherboard so I can reuse my Athlon 64 x2 5600+. It's running a god-awful Preshott P4 540 at the moment.

Attachments

• 20160210_204435.jpg
    Filename
    20160210_204435.jpg
    File size
    1.87 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 726 of 2213, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PcBytes wrote:

The only thing I have to upgrade from all this...is the PC. I've got to find a AM2+ motherboard so I can reuse my Athlon 64 x2 5600+. It's running a god-awful Preshott P4 540 at the moment.

Cleaner,but you forgot to clean blood off from atx case 🤣

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 727 of 2213, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rein_ein wrote:

Nah, painting it red ultimately saves on cleaning costs.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 728 of 2213, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rein_ein wrote:
PcBytes wrote:

I know 🤣 It was supposed to look like Megas XLR but then all my spray cans were near empty,and for some reason the red can was broken and produced the result. The insides aren't much better but fortunately they're covered by the big ASUS P5LD2 motherboard.

I might get back to it some time (at least after I upgrade the motherboard) and paint it all blue,and do the decals myself rather than using red spraypaint. It all comes down to my drawing skills tho,but I'm pretty good at doing decals and skins. (last time I did a PS2 skin with Raven from Teen Titans,just because I was bored and I had an old fat PS2 laying around. It was a old (and broken) SCPH-39003. I need to build a new power/eject ribbon cable,add the memory card/controller ports and it's pretty good to go.)

For how it looks right now though,a dual core is really what it needs 🤣 ,though the P5LD2 Rev1 inside strangely fits. (it's one of ASUS' gold-like coloured boards)

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 729 of 2213, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is how my computing area usually looks like +/- some warez on table...on a floor and around

xC8xNrTl.jpg

Mein PC i7 2700k,8 gigs of ram r9 290 240gb ssd for system and gamez needs,file-server i3 540 10 gigs of ram and 60gb ssd/2tb hdd
For retro pc's i usualy use kvm.

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 730 of 2213, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Decided to move to the garage to have peace and quiet. Silver tape on the IBM PS/2 Model 30 8086 8530: my sons like stuffing random things in FDDs: too hard to replace. 🤣

Last edited by PeterLI on 2016-02-14, 03:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 731 of 2213, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PeterLI wrote:

Decided to move to the garage to have peace and quiet.

Done your move yet, or still in process (will this stash shrink or grow)?

Reply 732 of 2213, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I moved in July so I have been in my new house for a while. It is just hard to do retro computing with young kids. There is too much bleeping and noise involved. That is why the garage is the best spot. Quite a few doors / rooms between that and the bedrooms. I no longer have a basement. Everything is on one level. 😀

I got rid of many machines because I have limited time and whilst collecting is fun systems also fail over time. Might as well recover $ whilst I can. OEM systems become virtually worthless when they fail as you cannot simply replace components.

Right now I am doing some 8086 gaming. I played SimCity in 320X200 MCGA on my IBM PS/2 Model 30 8086 8530 today. No luck finding a SimCity that supports the higher MCGA resolution though. 🙁

Reply 733 of 2213, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@PeterLI: You mean 640x480 monochrome? Normally you just run the installer again and pick a different mode:

Attachments

• install_000.png
    Filename
    install_000.png
    File size
    4.55 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    SimCity DOS installer
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 734 of 2213, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PeterLI wrote:

I moved in July so I have been in my new house for a while. It is just hard to do retro computing with young kids. There is too much bleeping and noise involved. That is why the garage is the best spot. Quite a few doors / rooms between that and the bedrooms. I no longer have a basement. Everything is on one level. 😀

I understand bro. I know that feeling 😜

I'm happy father of my first son since 8 months, and when we've bought the place we're living now in, I searched for a good garage together with the flat: most of my machines, consoles, misc and vintage tech is in place there: that room is not anymore a common garage (never has been...), but a real lab and nerd OASI instead, and I'm so happy about how I've managed to put well in place all my treasures, in almost full QUIET and PEACE. I think people like us, if they have the right living conditions, must necessarily have a place like this where to think, create and project alone, even if you no longer have all the free time you had before: it is in our DNA, and I do not think we can live differently - sure me not.

Reply 736 of 2213, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it legal to distribute SimCity now? I know it went open source in 2008, so does that mean the original is now freeware? I can't really find anything definite about this but if someone else can then I'm happy to post a copy of my original with all the files.

Reply 737 of 2213, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malvineous wrote:

I know it went open source in 2008

Got a ref for that? First I heard of it, and a quick Google search finds nothing.

Reply 738 of 2213, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More info: Slashdot news post, Don Hopkins' blog and EA GPL download site.

Just not sure whether it means the original games are considered freeware or not. SimCity 2000 appears to be free (not sure if you can only play it through their platform however), but if that's true, perhaps the original DOS version of SimCity could be also.

The case seems to be that once the code is compiled you can only call it Micropolis, and only once EA has approved it can you then use the name SimCity. So I guess the original game has been QA'd and is now free, but it'd be nice to have some confirmation about that!

Reply 739 of 2213, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:
Indrid Cold wrote:
20151218_161003.jpg

And at first I was struck main by the gigantic screen above. Until I saw...

6d_hdr_basement.jpg

Nostalgia is an heavy thing to cope with! 😉