Topic actions

Reply 81 of 2204, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

@Amigaz

So you're a left-handed eh? Can't remember any of my (classic pc geeks)friends being one, yet. 😀

Yep, but not a 100% lefty
I only use the mouse and play hockey as a left handed person...I'm doing other actions as I right handed person..guess I'm some sort of hybrid 😁

btw. pics of my new comp area and games is coming soooon....

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 82 of 2204, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i'm left handed. i first started using computers in day care and at my god parents' house. i remember struggling when first learning now i don't have any problem.

Reply 83 of 2204, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Fun to read how others are store and display their computers :) […]
Show full quote

Fun to read how others are store and display their computers 😀

Heres a couple pictures what my attic currently looks like.
It looks a bit messy hehe 😜

And sorry about the big pics, dunno how I can make them smaller and clickable 😦

My friends tell me I should start my own computer store 🤣 😜
Anyway, my attic is where I store and build most of my computers. I have a couple more computers in my bedroom and in the livingroom (for LAN parties 😀 )

Yep, that's the downside to having an apartment... I have a bike shed below that contains only a fraction of what you have and already it's full... But still, considering the location, I still think it's worth it. 😀 I am however going to place a workbench in my home office, so I'll still have a place to tinker.

How have other apartment dwellers here solved the problem of chronic lack of space? Simply by not collecting as much? Crazy talk! 😜

Reply 84 of 2204, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
digger wrote:

Yep, that's the downside to having an apartment... I have a bike shed below that contains only a fraction of what you have and already it's full... But still, considering the location, I still think it's worth it. 😀 I am however going to place a workbench in my home office, so I'll still have a place to tinker.

How have other apartment dwellers here solved the problem of chronic lack of space? Simply by not collecting as much? Crazy talk! 😜

🤣!

You wouldn't believe how my room looked like when I was still living with my parents. I had stacked 8 AT cases 4 wide 2 high next to my bed...I told my mum it was for putting my glasses on at night! Back then my total room was just 3 by 4 meters!! *Edit:It was actually 3 by 2 meters, not 3 by 4*
To save space I tended to pack every case I had with all expansion cards I could fit in it just so I could cram as much stuff in as little room as possible!
Obviously my computer hobby didn't really started blooming until after I finally got my own place 😁

Last edited by Tetrium on 2010-06-05, 06:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 85 of 2204, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since I was taking photos of my latest build I took a couple of my "computing area" too.

My desk with retro area on the left - 17" IBM CRT and modern area on the right - Samsung 2232BW.
03062010162.jpg

With some cosier lighting for serious late night gaming sessions:happy:
03062010160.jpg

Another angle showing some of my rigs (blurry) and my new as yet unopened CM690 Pure casing (in foam). This has a transparent side panel so it'll be sure to get an idiotic amount of neon, LEDs and what not -all proven to add 10% more FPS of course. woot!
04062010172.jpg

and 2 fans for the overclocked human 🤣

Reply 88 of 2204, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's only one inference I can make after looking at all the pictures :

NO CLASSIC AND VINTAGE PC COLLECTOR HAS ONLY ONE PC.

It's the passion! It's the interest in seeing these different Babies (or Beasts if you prefer) of different eras working to bring back the glory days!!

(Feels much warmer after seeing I'm not the only one hoarding PCs in my room! Hehehe 😁)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 89 of 2204, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:
There's only one inference I can make after looking at all the pictures : […]
Show full quote

There's only one inference I can make after looking at all the pictures :

NO CLASSIC AND VINTAGE PC COLLECTOR HAS ONLY ONE PC.

It's the passion! It's the interest in seeing these different Babies (or Beasts if you prefer) of different eras working to bring back the glory days!!

(Feels much warmer after seeing I'm not the only one hoarding PCs in my room! Hehehe 😁)

Hehe. I've had lots of people tell me I would be better of if I'd just throw out all this 'old junk' but I'm glad I never did! 😁
And btw, I'm equally glad that other did hehe! 😁 😁

The problem with 1 computer is, if it breaks, you have nothing, nuttin, zilch and nada! You'll only be left with a problem staring at you...and you'll feel all alone. Empty...with nothing to fill that silent black hole inside of you. No buzzing sound of your computer running.
No beeps, no harddrive...No classic computer with life still in it!

Uhm...what was I talking about again???

Reply 90 of 2204, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I honestly tried to cut it down to one all purpose retro PC. But what can you do, when an intact early 486 crosses your way? And while I work on my somewhat stuck main project, it was a nice diversion. I had the extra ram, I had the old soundcard, I had a spare HDD, and the VLB graphics were offered for just 1 Euro. I consider it a point of reference when I am not sure if dosbox works correctly with an unknown game.

As for my prime project, I have considered the possibility of hardware failure. I have therefore decided to have spares. Every critical part should be aquired twice, cause they will get increasingly difficult to obtain.

Reply 93 of 2204, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
5u3 wrote:

This ... looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Atleast he tidied most of his cabling out of sight 😁

Heh, looks like how my lil room was back before I got my own place...2x3 meters...the joy of having everything you love in your immediate vicinity 😁

Reply 97 of 2204, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
http://9gag.com/photo/9150_540.jpg […]
Show full quote

9150_540.jpg

If your computing area doesn't look like this, you aren't doing it right. 😁

Incidentally, this isn't my computing area. I got this from a Japanese website. The one I wanted to post was really disgusting with a stack of empty soda cans and bottles, pizza boxes, half eaten hamburgers etc. This one seemed slightly less stomach turning.

Reply 98 of 2204, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My "486 Section" :

dsc00552xw.jpg

I thought of fixing my 15" CRT monitor for that "classic feel", but it's taking way too much desk space.

The tiny speaker below the LCD is for the Covox Sound Master II output. The Roland CM-500's output is sent to SBAWE32's line-in (CT2760).

Thanks so much to Jan3Sobieski for sending me the Covox card!!! 😀

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 99 of 2204, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Amigaz wrote:

Yep, but not a 100% lefty
I only use the mouse and play hockey as a left handed person...I'm doing other actions as I right handed person..guess I'm some sort of hybrid 😁

OMG another hybrid lefty!? Right here on VOGONS!? Left hand hockey, right handed mouse here! Left handed baseball, mixed up bowling, left writing, L/R shooting.....

I'm sure you agree with me that we just can't trust these right-handed retro gamers. 😁 😁