Topic actions

Reply 940 of 2204, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
DeafPK wrote:

Hi guys, let's see if I can upload pictures from my phone... this is just one shelf in my shed. I am hoping to make some posts about some of my hardware. I have been too busy with life and similar unnecessary things, so the vintage computing has been set aside for too long. But not any more!

What in the hell? Does that top briefcase portable have a CD drive?

That's a bit of a technological mismatch...

Those look like dust covers to me. Or possibly hard drives.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 941 of 2204, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This machine is a Compaq Portable 286. The lid that looks like an optical drive is just a 5,25 inch floppy drive. I'll describe this computer in more detail later, when I get it up and running.

Attachments

"an occasional fart in their general direction would provide more than enough cooling" —PCBONEZ

Reply 942 of 2204, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Allright, some more pictures. Welcome to my den of discarded diamonds, freed from the doom of destruction... in other words I got most of it for free during the past decade. There are a lot of 486 stuff here, which brings me back to my 90's childhood. Also I've got some piles of parts and software stacked in a shelf, simply because I almost never throw anything away. I also like the aesthetics of these old things. Some later pc's like the pentium 4 are mostly stuffed in there to do some browsing and file management.

Attachments

"an occasional fart in their general direction would provide more than enough cooling" —PCBONEZ

Reply 943 of 2204, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Updated with a "new" PC

Attachments

• 20170610_104431.jpg
    Filename
    20170610_104431.jpg
    File size
    511.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 944 of 2204, by Pasi123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IMG_20170617_030839.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170617_030839.jpg
File size
3.41 MiB
Views
File license
SDC10655.JPG
Filename
SDC10655.JPG
File size
3.59 MiB
Views
File license

Yes, I did upload those photos with that Celeron 333MHz PC 😁

X5670 @ 4.4GHz|P6X58D-E|24GB DDR3|GTX 960|750 EVO 250GB|4TB, 2x2Tb HDDs|Define R5|Win7
P4 HT 3.0GHz|GA-8SGXLFS|2GB DDR1|9800 Pro|2x 40GB Seagate|WinXP
Celeron 333MHz|Diamond Micronics C400|384MB RAM|Diamond Viper V550|6GB HDD|WinME

Reply 945 of 2204, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I’ve been working on a new home office / man cave / kids rumpus room over the last few months and moved in recently – I’ve finally accepted my limitations and had tradies in for most of the skilled work, so it’s a much nicer result than the old home office. We built it in our existing shed - which is huge - so it’s physically removed from the main house. That plus the acoustic insulation and double glazing means that I can make as much noise out there as I like. It’s very cosy too which is nice – no more huddling over a bar heater.

IMG_2217.jpg

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2274.jpg

IMG_2286.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg

IMG_2332.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 946 of 2204, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
I’ve been working on a new home office / man cave / kids rumpus room over the last few months and moved in recently – I’ve final […]
Show full quote

I’ve been working on a new home office / man cave / kids rumpus room over the last few months and moved in recently – I’ve finally accepted my limitations and had tradies in for most of the skilled work, so it’s a much nicer result than the old home office. We built it in our existing shed - which is huge - so it’s physically removed from the main house. That plus the acoustic insulation and double glazing means that I can make as much noise out there as I like. It’s very cosy too which is nice – no more huddling over a bar heater.

IMG_2217.jpg

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2274.jpg

IMG_2286.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg

IMG_2332.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

Ooohhh, love the workspace. Missing one thing. A giant deskside supercomputer/workstation/server. I would say SGI, but beige wasn't their thing and you really need a huge beige box to go with the room. 😜

Reply 947 of 2204, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Like a pedestal mount HP 9000 PA RISC server?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_9000#Server_models

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 948 of 2204, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@badmojo - very tidy, I like it. I always struggle with tidy.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 950 of 2204, by lvader

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IMG_6094.jpg

I moved to Switzerland back in October and I was really missing my retro computers. Although the computer looks modern with a new ATX case and LCD screen, it's actually a Pentium socket 7 build with PS2 mouse and keyboard. For sound I have a pair of Yamaha powered speakers with a little DJ mxer to handle the builds 4 sound cards (Roland LAPCI and RAP-10, Sound Blaster Pro 2 and AWE 64 Gold.)

The desk and chair are from Ikea.

Reply 951 of 2204, by infoRM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I starting to build my retro area with my old computers. A lot of work to do yet. but let's go. 😀
I put this one to work recently. Works smoothly like a real computer from the 90's. The typical noises of these computers are wonderful.

Attachments

• vog_01.png
    Filename
    vog_01.png
    File size
    1.55 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 952 of 2204, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
infoRM wrote:

I starting to build my retro area with my old computers. A lot of work to do yet. but let's go. 😀
I put this one to work recently. Works smoothly like a real computer from the 90's. The typical noises of these computers are wonderful.

Looks period correct, love it!
What noise? The only thing I hear in my retro machines upto my Pentium 3 is the hdd spinning, love the sound way more then my current system were you only hear alot of coolers spinning at different rpms.

Reply 953 of 2204, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote:

Wow you got room for such a mancave? No kids or wife?

Double Flawless Victory, Fatality.

Bad Mojo Wins

Reply 954 of 2204, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We'll be moving to a house soon - too big for our needs, but not much choice in this area 🙁 Loads of space compared to my current apartment. The attic has ~100m2 of space. So my storage will all be moved upstairs from three different locations 😁 I also get a room all to myself 😁 It's not a big one (around 14m2), but it will have to do. As some parts of the house were never finished, maybe I'll move to a bigger room sometime in the future when everything is finished.

Later I'll post some photos of my current "corner" in the living room (it's a mess)...

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 955 of 2204, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote:

We'll be moving to a house soon - too big for our needs, but not much choice in this area 🙁 Loads of space compared to my current apartment. The attic has ~100m2 of space. So my storage will all be moved upstairs from three different locations 😁 I also get a room all to myself 😁 It's not a big one (around 14m2), but it will have to do. As some parts of the house were never finished, maybe I'll move to a bigger room sometime in the future when everything is finished.

Later I'll post some photos of my current "corner" in the living room (it's a mess)...

You should be lucky. I need to parse out some of my hoarde of vintage computer memorabilia. I once almost had a room tidy enough for each computer platform. Each corner had their own computer and software.

Reply 957 of 2204, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Arctic wrote:
http://www.vogons.org/download/file.php?id=34785&mode=view […]
Show full quote
DeafPK wrote:

file.php?id=34785&mode=view

That looks painful for those cards. Are you not worried about scratches?

I suppose the cards could have been stacked vertically side by side on the lower two levels. 😢

Reply 958 of 2204, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

May not be the nices way to stack cards, but they are not made of glass and can stand a little beating. That said, the risk of ripping or damaging high components is possible.

Reply 959 of 2204, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
seob wrote:

May not be the nices way to stack cards, but they are not made of glass and can stand a little beating. That said, the risk of ripping or damaging high components is possible.

It WILL damage them. I recently acquired a Voodoo 5 which was bent from years of weight on top and had components knocked off. Luckily I was able to pass it onto someone who I hope can fix it.