VOGONS

post up pics of your "computing area"

Topic actions

Reply 320 of 2202, by Zoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh wow! I see now. Thanks. Maybe sometime in future (when you have a place for them) you'll be able to showcase them somehow. You know, the interface, the software, what were they capable of, the rendering process maybe, also the insides (especially the insides!). All that kind of stuff. That would be great IMO 😀

Reply 321 of 2202, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sure, I'd love to do that, actually I'd like to make some YouTube videos about them, starting with the Indigo. Retro SGI machines are an absolute addiction because they had this mythical status back in the 90's - they cost tens of thousands of dollars, so only studios could afford them, and for a while they were the most powerful graphics workstations in the world (as well as the most colorful). If you're interested, there's a great web site for SGI enthusiasts called Nekochan.net.

My addiction started with an Indigo2 (the tall purple tower on the desk) and expanded to two Indys, an Octane, an Indigo, an O2, and a deskside Onyx and Crimson (the Onyx is the large black system under the desk with the purple stripe). When new in 1996, that Onyx was a $500,000 system. I bought it for $500 from a very nice fellow in San Francisco back in 2005. I've also got most of the high-end graphics suites that were available for SGI back in the day, 3D animation packages like Softimage and PowerAnimator that typically cost $15,000 or more. If you keep your eyes peeled, you can find this stuff on eBay every now and then for cheap.

Someday I'd love to do something "useful" with them, like create a networked renderfarm and use it to produce 3D animation.

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 326 of 2202, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

that wasnt even all of it, alot of it was in boxes in the adjacnt room, MSX stuff and a few other diffrent PC's. the generic looking cases on the floor are acually all optimized for diffrent eras, win 3.X, 95,98, one for glide games, they were all routed to that one monitor and keyboard/mouse via a dell kvm switch. the other side of the room thats not pictured was console stuff. anyways my setup is much more modest now with the small apartment. 95% of all that stuff is in storage now though I have acually added a decent bit to that collection as those pics were taken about 2 years ago.

Reply 327 of 2202, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
soviet conscript wrote:

that wasnt even all of it, alot of it was in boxes in the adjacnt room, MSX stuff and a few other diffrent PC's. the generic looking cases on the floor are acually all optimized for diffrent eras, win 3.X, 95,98, one for glide games, they were all routed to that one monitor and keyboard/mouse via a dell kvm switch. the other side of the room thats not pictured was console stuff. anyways my setup is much more modest now with the small apartment. 95% of all that stuff is in storage now though I have acually added a decent bit to that collection as those pics were taken about 2 years ago.

Very nice collection you have there!

I wish I had such a setup for my retrocomputers 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 328 of 2202, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, new here...maybe a few have seen me around on VCF and UCL possibly though. Found this place reading up on tweaks for old DOS boxen like I've got and have been tinkering with for the past 10 years for old DOS and Windows 3.x games.

I added as attachments as they did not display as images using the img tag for some reason.

Attachments

• Filename
    20121214_235029.jpg
    File size
    858.03 KiB
    Downloads
    239 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    20121214_235612.jpg
    File size
    354.11 KiB
    Downloads
    241 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    TV Setup.jpg
    File size
    91.38 KiB
    Downloads
    288 downloads
    File license

Reply 330 of 2202, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whatcha got back behind that black box under your desk? Also, holy crap, that fake wood grain is awesome. Very Happy

Behind the black box under my desk is a 486 DX2/66, which also has a DX4 chip for it. Specs are as follows....

CASE: Songcheer XT class Chassis, 150 Watt Generic XT PSU
MOBO: FIC 486-PVT Motherboard
CPU: Intel 80486 DX2/66
RAM: 64MB, 256K L2 Cache
FDD: 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy A:, 1.2MB 5.25" Floppy B:\
HDD: 3GB Fujitsu, I have a newer 40GB Maxtor with DDO ready for it to dual boot Windows 3.11 for workgroups and Windows 95 OSR2
OPT: 52X CD-RW burner
GFX: S3 Trio 1MB SVGA VLB Local Bus Video
SND: SoundBlaster Ct-1600 Pro 2
NET: Linksys NE2000 compatible PnP 10mbps LAN

I assembled this one earlier.

And yes, I love woodgrian. When I'm playing NES and Atari 2600 games, I want to feel like I'm sitting in a livingroom circa 1979-1989.,

Reply 336 of 2202, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The old:

Robin4 wrote:
Where i play with the hardware: […]
Show full quote

Where i play with the hardware:

75dsc00348.jpg

83dsc00349.jpg

22dsc00359.jpg

89dsc00360.jpg

And my ` main` computer.
Is have:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE stock
MSI 790FX GD70 motherboard with 3GB ram
6950 -> 6970 graphics.
128GB SSD corsair.

This year its needs to rebuild:

New case:
Intel IVY bridge 3770K
Motherboard
8GB G.SKILL F3 Ripjaws
New SSD
6970 Crossfire.
New soundcard..
New PSU

Just in the living room, yeah i know that stupid. But havent no other place ` yet`

My girlfriend hates the mess, but can live with it.

The `new`

14udgdl.jpg

Hello kitty!

28u5pxf.jpg

2afd30o.jpg

This is only i could get..
There has to go a new floor in.. Because its cracky ands not isolated and not flat..
This would be my vintage computer room..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 337 of 2202, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robin4 wrote:
The old: […]
Show full quote

The old:

-snip!-
This is only i could get..
There has to go a new floor in.. Because its cracky ands not isolated and not flat..
This would be my vintage computer room..

At least it looks much more light then my attic! 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 338 of 2202, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And the best is, there are 8 nice windows, with a beautiful sight outside!
I only have to rebuild it a little bit more before i can use it for my purpose.
Thats the only downside.. If i compare my space with other users, that i could very happy with that space..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 339 of 2202, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all, I'm quite new here (well, not so, since I read a lot for the last couple of years, but this is my first post here anyways) and what's better than throwing out a couple of pics to introduce myself?..😊

I'm a married man with a 7-year old daughter, so I don't have much space to myself and my mess anymore (well, for the last 14 years anyway) but fortunately we have a "freedom" room in the house for my daughter to play and for me to play nerd... 🤣 (as long as we keep it tidy, that is.)

The flowery thing with Hello Kitties all around is my 7 year old daughter's XP box with an Asus AMD Athlon II X3 all-in-one board and all the mediocre stuff, but still kicking after almost three years. The station next to it is my cockpit. A Core2 Quad Windows 7 box (again, about 4 years old but still capable of doing everything I want it to do), an AMD Athlon 64 Windows XP/Linux box and PIII 733 old games and weird experiments box (with DOS+WFW 3.11/Windows 95/98SE/NT4.0/ME/2000/OS2 Warp 4.0/FreeDOS/Beos/Calmira II/DESQViw/Revolution Pack 9 etc....) connected together with an Aten KVM switch (and ethernet of course).

I'm also planning to build a 386SX16 (or a 384DX40) and have almost all the parts for it, except a suitable AT case.

Here are the pics:

dsc7846resize.jpg
dsc7843resize.jpg
dsc7844resize.jpg
dsc7845resize.jpg

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX