post up pics of your "computing area"

Topic actions

Reply 881 of 2202, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:

Reorganized, added a lot of stuff. Messed it up a bit again because i found a lot of stuff lately that needed to be played with/tested. 🤣

Interesting floating shelf look. How are they secured? I don't see any bracket on the bottom or side to hold those shelves in place. Are they on a hidden track? And can they take any significant weight? Like if you were to load them with books, would it sag? I'm considering doing some floating shelves like this in my home office.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 882 of 2202, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
King_Corduroy wrote:
Reorganized the room a bit and now here's how my retro computer area is setup. :D […]
Show full quote

Reorganized the room a bit and now here's how my retro computer area is setup. 😁

Photo taken with 2002 Sony Mavica MVC-FD200:
mvc_005f_by_mad_king_corduroy-datld0y.jpg

Photo taken with 2002 Sony Mavica MVC-FD200 (My new mug!):
mvc_006f_by_mad_king_corduroy-datlczm.jpg

Photo taken with 2010 Sony NEX-5:
untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-datldqw.jpg

I think that Packard Bell desktop is intended for a corner spot. I've never seen one like that before. Impressive!

Oeufvre, I really like the minivan seat used as a desk chair. Let's all pick apart our junkyard cars like that!

Reply 883 of 2202, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:
meljor wrote:

Reorganized, added a lot of stuff. Messed it up a bit again because i found a lot of stuff lately that needed to be played with/tested. 🤣

Interesting floating shelf look. How are they secured? I don't see any bracket on the bottom or side to hold those shelves in place. Are they on a hidden track? And can they take any significant weight? Like if you were to load them with books, would it sag? I'm considering doing some floating shelves like this in my home office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rphNks7Adv4

In this video here you can see how they are fixed to the wall. They can handle op to 15kg (according to the website) depending on the type of wall etc. ofcourse.
I think they can handle even a bit more than that, but books can be heavy. It is a partly hollow and pretty lightweight shelf and it simply slides over a bracket.

Considering the minimum height of the bracket i think they can sag easily when you load them with too much weight, unless you place the weight close to the wall ofcourse.

I bought them from Ikea and they can be bought up to the length of 1,1 meter (mine are that size). 10 euro a piece is pretty cheap i think.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 884 of 2202, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
meljor wrote:
In this video here you can see how they are fixed to the wall. They can handle op to 15kg (according to the website) depending o […]
Show full quote

In this video here you can see how they are fixed to the wall. They can handle op to 15kg (according to the website) depending on the type of wall etc. ofcourse.
I think they can handle even a bit more than that, but books can be heavy. It is a partly hollow and pretty lightweight shelf and it simply slides over a bracket.

Considering the minimum height of the bracket i think they can sag easily when you load them with too much weight, unless you place the weight close to the wall ofcourse.

I bought them from Ikea and they can be bought up to the length of 1,1 meter (mine are that size). 10 euro a piece is pretty cheap i think.

do remember noting that most old building here in the Netherlands are made totally out of bricks, instead of cheap ply wood or other poor construction materials (wood + plaster) and have seen it to many times this going wrong when heavy things get "nailed" to weak walls (youtube mostly 😈 )
I intend to do the very same thing in the near future, however I am unsure about the wall I am going to apply it to (half brick wall of unknown brick material), since I still have the old coal bricks in my house which are very brittle (I highly suspect that wall is made out of it since the wall directly beneath is made out of that poor quality bricks)

Reply 885 of 2202, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have them attached to ''cellular concrete blocks'' or in dutch: gasbeton.

Not the strongest compared to the outer walls which are serious concrete but it will hold. With cellular concrete i use no wall plugs and simply use thick screws directly into the wall.
Just use as many as you can.

If it was not sturdy enough, my dear boxed voodoo's would not be on them! 🤣

I like these shelfs very much and will buy even more in the future. For now i just need to figure out a way to stack my cases in a good and neat way. The five in the corner are all connected (systems from my sig) and i need a way that i can get to them without moving the others. They are all connected by an amplifier and a kvm switch so it's a pain to move anything.

Reply 886 of 2202, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I noticed in the video they used the shelves in the bathroom to place dry towels on. It also did not seem all that sturdy from the video. It seems the main support comes from the hallow tube which runs the depth of the shelf. I'm surprised they only used 2 hallow tubes. I think these would mount pretty well to wood frame homes if the holes are aligned to find the studs. My intention is for heavy books though, so I think I'll pass up on this design. Probably best to run verticle tracks which span the height of shelves. Its uglier though because you have the track showing between the shelves.

Reply 887 of 2202, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Richo wrote:

do remember noting that most old building here in the Netherlands are made totally out of bricks, instead of cheap ply wood or other poor construction materials (wood + plaster) and have seen it to many times this going wrong when heavy things get "nailed" to weak walls (youtube mostly 😈 )
I intend to do the very same thing in the near future, however I am unsure about the wall I am going to apply it to (half brick wall of unknown brick material), since I still have the old coal bricks in my house which are very brittle (I highly suspect that wall is made out of it since the wall directly beneath is made out of that poor quality bricks)

Horses for courses. We don't tend to have much brick in western Canada due to both the temperature mandating more insulation and relatively dry climate. Well constructed wood works well and lasts a long, long time.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 888 of 2202, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

I noticed in the video they used the shelves in the bathroom to place dry towels on. It also did not seem all that sturdy from the video. It seems the main support comes from the hallow tube which runs the depth of the shelf. I'm surprised they only used 2 hallow tubes. I think these would mount pretty well to wood frame homes if the holes are aligned to find the studs. My intention is for heavy books though, so I think I'll pass up on this design. Probably best to run verticle tracks which span the height of shelves. Its uglier though because you have the track showing between the shelves.

Yeah, for heavy books it wouldn't be my choice either. The shelfs themselves are pretty lightweight. They do look very massive but they aren't, you can't even call it wood.
But i like the look and for my purpose they are perfect.

Reply 889 of 2202, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lately I've been going for a clean look. And guess who's coming back.

Attachments

• 1489411735969.jpg
    Filename
    1489411735969.jpg
    File size
    1.3 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 891 of 2202, by Tim1075

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After two days of cable management I finally converted my desk from a pile of hardware to an organised retro computer corner in my man cave. Behold the result of what a couple of video's from a certain guy named Phil can do 😉

Every processor generation is present from a 286 to a Dual Core P4. All PC's are connected to one Eizo 21 inch monitor through a Compaq KVM switch. All the audio is wired through a DAP audio mixer and every soundcard's volume is separately adjustable. All major soundcards are present ranging from several generations of soundblasters, a GUS Max and the mighty MT-32 and SC-55. Also a lot of video cards ranging from Diamond and Matrox up till the Voodoo 3.

Finally a worthy mention about my trusty Commodore 64 and Amiga 1200 with seperate 1084S monitors.

So I am pretty satisfied with my current setup although there are still some things left to be desired 😀

Attachments

• 20170228_161947.jpg
    Filename
    20170228_161947.jpg
    File size
    3.6 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 892 of 2202, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
Tim1075 wrote:
After two days of cable management I finally converted my desk from a pile of hardware to an organised retro computer corner in […]
Show full quote

After two days of cable management I finally converted my desk from a pile of hardware to an organised retro computer corner in my man cave. Behold the result of what a couple of video's from a certain guy named Phil can do 😉

Every processor generation is present from a 286 to a Dual Core P4. All PC's are connected to one Eizo 21 inch monitor through a Compaq KVM switch. All the audio is wired through a DAP audio mixer and every soundcard's volume is separately adjustable. All major soundcards are present ranging from several generations of soundblasters, a GUS Max and the mighty MT-32 and SC-55. Also a lot of video cards ranging from Diamond and Matrox up till the Voodoo 3.

Finally a worthy mention about my trusty Commodore 64 and Amiga 1200 with seperate 1084S monitors.

So I am pretty satisfied with my current setup although there are still some things left to be desired 😀

all dem chieftecs 😲 , only got 1 but sure are great towers with lots of room to work with.

Reply 894 of 2202, by Tim1075

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
badmojo wrote:

Looks great Tim but how do you get your knees under the desk to actually use that stuff??

The perspective of the picture is a little deceiving. Actually I am quite tall but I manage to sit behind it nicely while typing. No leg stretching though. I chose space over comfort and in the final setup the cases are shifted more backwards.

Reply 895 of 2202, by enloop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tim1075 wrote:
After two days of cable management I finally converted my desk from a pile of hardware to an organised retro computer corner in […]
Show full quote

Dang Tim those towers look huge. Do they fit those ATX sized motherboards?

Reply 896 of 2202, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

I think that Packard Bell desktop is intended for a corner spot. I've never seen one like that before. Impressive!

Oeufvre, I really like the minivan seat used as a desk chair. Let's all pick apart our junkyard cars like that!

Lol Thanks! I also just painted the room so the walls are now hunter green (although it's not quite the blueish hunter green I had hoped for) to match my filing cabinet and feel proper 90's (Hunter green and orange oak was basically THE thing to do for the early 90's here in 'murica) and had some proper replicas of Packard Bell mouse mats (seen inexplicably only in european adverts for those computers during the mid 90's) printed up. 😁

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-db531gx.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-db531ex.jpg

and the mousepad!

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-db3efyd.jpg

and an example of what it looked like in the vintage ads:

17353275_1453771031342347_86916840281581559_n_by_mad_king_corduroy-db3efae.jpg

Also I agree about that one guys seat taken from a car, wicked cool. 🤣 Dunno how I missed that before but I went back to look for what you were talking about and that looks ultra comfy. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 897 of 2202, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tim1075 wrote:
Show full quote

I have those cases from Antec/chieftec and i really like them. I have three different ones from the series and looking for more but your collection is even more fun!
I didn't know chieftec made that many colors. Very nice, well done.

Reply 898 of 2202, by Tim1075

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
meljor wrote:

]

I have those cases from Antec/chieftec and i really like them. I have three different ones from the series and looking for more but your collection is even more fun!
I didn't know chieftec made that many colors. Very nice, well done.

Still hunting for more colours. I know there are pink and red cases out there but I didn't purchase these because they were offered for too much money. Great cases imho.

Reply 899 of 2202, by Tim1075

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
enloop wrote:

Dang Tim those towers look huge. Do they fit those ATX sized motherboards?

Yes, they fit perfectly. The only problem I have encountered is finding lengthy IDE cables. And I could wish for more drive bays for later builds. But for the rest they are excellent cases.