User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is where I play most of my games these days. 😁
My new speaker setup for my retro P1 computer:

ns3_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7u1mb5.jpg

ns4_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7u1mb3.jpg

I found the speakers in the trash but someone had bypassed the built in amp so it could be used like a stereo speaker. At first I thought the man who did that must have been an idiot, then I hooked them up to this Technics stereo tuner and WOW. The Sound Blaster live coming though this sounds AMAZING. 🤣

ns1_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7u1mb0.png

ns2_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7u1mae.jpg

Panorama of all my computers. (Only the C64C is not pictured here) I have other computers but they are not functioning or in another room serving some other task.

proof_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7twhpb.jpg

You can see my old speaker setup in this pic for the Packard.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 521 of 2205, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"Sitting is the new smoking" they say so I've built myself a stand up desk for my retro machine, which seems to be where I spent the bulk of my computer time (excluding work of course, where I sit all day).

DSCN0788_zps985b7f1e.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 523 of 2205, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like how open and bright you guy's places always are. My tiny little room on the other hand is small, furnished almost entirely in dark stained wood furniture and very dark thanks to its position in the house (and the heavy drapes I have over the windows 😜). 🤣

Originally my room was furnished with the idea that there was to be no electronics allowed in and it would be a themed room, I was going for 1900 - 1920 since most of the things I owned and cherished at that time were from that time period. However as my interest in electronics and old computers grew they wormed their way in. Now I feel like I'm living some sort of cyberpunk mashup of old and new. 🤣

Reply 524 of 2205, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

"Sitting is the new smoking" they say so I've built myself a stand up desk for my retro machine, which seems to be where I spent the bulk of my computer time (excluding work of course, where I sit all day).

You built that yourself?! You sir are my hero 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 525 of 2205, by swampfox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

2extpx0.jpg
This is my current workspace in the corner of my bedroom. Clipped desklamp is quite useful when working on the innards of the machines. Hanging from it is a cheap monaural headset microphone.

2q8wsqc.jpg
My main/modern rig is underneath the desk.
The boombox is a Fisher PH-W405. My PC is connected to its Line-in with a 3.5mm-TRS-male-to-RCA-male cable. Telescopic FM radio antenna. Both tape decks are broken (the ones in the next pic work great, however), unfortunately. Have its equalizer zeroed so I can use a software one. Produces some pretty decent sound, but not as good as the one you will see in the next pic. On the top right of the boombox you will see a digital clock/calendar/thermometer pencil holder that I grabbed for 99c at a thrift store because I though it looked cool. Can't see the the screen on it in the pic, but at the level my office chair places me in when I sit down, it appears fine. Keep some mechanical pencils, flashdrives, loose screws, and miscellany in it. Has some Chinese writing on the bottom. Don't recognize it or the logo next to it. No idea. Keyboard is a Datacomp DTK-121, mechanical Futaba clicky-switches. Use an DIN AT-to-mini-DIN PS/2 adapter to connect it to my modern PC. Excellent tactile feedback, loud but not terribly, and rollover with several keys. I dig it. Some Logitech USB laser mouse, nothing special. Use the back of my sketchpad as a mousepad because its nice to have my sketchpad on hand if I want to draw or handwrite some notes.

2qusuv9.jpg
Just a 90 degree swivel of my chair and I'm at my rig that I use for experimenting/retro stuff.
This monitor sucks, but it happens to support all of the extended text/VGA/VESA modes when I'm in DOS. on the right hand side is a MediaMate case for holding 3.5" floppies. It is full. Considering getting another. Boombox is a Panasonic RX-CW42. Sometimes I use the line out on the machine next to it to record FM music or tracker modules to a cassette. On top of that machine is a Canon PIXMA iP2600 Inkjet Printer that I had found two of in a dumpster.

2ijhl6g.jpg
Under my desks I have stored two other machines I have worked on recently. Extension cords and more power outlets below here, as well.
And on the left are some external HDDs and a USB port I can have easy access to.

Swampfox's Computing - Google+ and YouTube: https://plus.google.com/108854180391399268575

Reply 526 of 2205, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you Swampfox, I loved the detailed narration. Those boombox speakers don't seem to be shielded, don't you worry about the diskettes right next to them?

Reply 527 of 2205, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Half-Saint wrote:

You built that yourself?! You sir are my hero 😀

Thanks! My father was incapable of hugging his children but he did teach us how to build stuff 🤣

Reply 529 of 2205, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Way too clean / neat 🤣

No, seriously, that's an awesome setup!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 531 of 2205, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow bysurferox11, what a beautiful setup. Let's talk dust management for a moment - how do you keep that setup so clean? Personally I use the 'brush attachment' on the vacuum cleaner to do a weekly spruce, and then the occasional wipe down with a wet cloth.

Reply 532 of 2205, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow dude, your dedication to neat and tidyness is impressive. That IBM Aptiva is a beautiful machine!

Reply 534 of 2205, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I saw a Cooler Master STC-T01 somewhere back there. Very good case. Because of its size and customizable front bays it's particularly useful for experimental rigs where you're constantly changing stuff around.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 536 of 2205, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fantastic setup bysurferox11 very clean 😀

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 537 of 2205, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well here is a quick snap of my corner! I'll try and get one when its nice and tidy and in daylight! We hope to get an extension early part of next year for my man cave 😀 I had to give up my office, as its now my baby girl's room who is one 😀

Note, the ATC-S rig it not normally positioned on the desk! Its on the floor but I was in the middle of testing a few bits.

Setup-28-08-2014_zps0327bcee.jpg

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 538 of 2205, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bysurferox11 wrote:
Hello. […]
Show full quote

Hello.

My "coputing area"

25yyk2d.jpg

29hrg7.jpg

vxopk1.jpg

t99i12.jpg

Bye

The only thing missing in this room is a turntable hooked up to that receiver. 😎
That's what I call a gamer's cave!