VOGONS

post up pics of your "computing area"

Topic actions

Reply 840 of 2204, by imendit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And these are of the inverted tower. Its running a Pentium 1 @ 75MHz with 64mb ram. The original Dallas chip was soldered to the board, I salvaged the 24 pin socket from a scrap board and soldered that to option for original replacement, or as you've seen the simple cell battery replacement.

Attachments

• IMG_20161102_172926.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20161102_172926.jpg
    File size
    905.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_20161102_172834.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20161102_172834.jpg
    File size
    1.14 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_20161102_172911.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20161102_172911.jpg
    File size
    953.11 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 841 of 2204, by toddfx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's mine right now. It's incredibly messy compared to how it usually is, but I have 4 different projects going.

The naked chassis up on the desk is version 2.0 of my 3dfx Voodoo2 Windows 98 machine. I swapped out the old Intel board for an Abit BH6 and a Celeron 300A and changed the hard drives to be period correct. The stack of games are, obviously, what I'm currently working on installing on it!

The Chieftec Dragon on the floor is for the second semi-retro project I'm currently working on: A mid to late 2006 era Windows XP machine using the AMD Quad FX platform. I have the Asus motherboard and CPUs; just waiting on my two GeForce 7950 GX2s and some other parts to arrive. Also considering water cooling it just for fun.

My main workstation is a i7 5960X in the Corsair 240, which I use for my 3D work. I just built it last month and am still working on a few details.

The Corsair 700D is my old i7 2600K workstation. I think I'll eventually use it as a GPU render farm once I start using the new GPU based 3D rendering engines a bit more.

The Corsair C70 is a new acquisition that'll eventually be used as a render farm machine as well. The dinky PSU in it right now was temporary, used to briefly test a different motherboard!

The G5 hidden behind the C70 is a chassis I converted to hold a liquid cooled MicroATX board, and that too I am currently working on turning onto a render farm machine (I'm doing a lot of freelance at home recently so I need all the rendering power I can get)

k6Z3qMWl.jpg

f7G0xaYl.jpg

Rn0sA54l.jpg

BEIKq0Pl.jpg

Reply 842 of 2204, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Three of the most beautiful CRTs i've ever used. Got them off craigslist for free and I was pretty stupid for not taking the fourth.

Attachments

• IMGP0984.JPG
    Filename
    IMGP0984.JPG
    File size
    649.75 KiB
    Views
    File license

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 844 of 2204, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Those look sweet. I wonder how they stack up against Eizo F series CRTs.

From my understanding the eizo could quite definitely be better, but mostly in terms of color gamut. Accuracy and contrast shouldn't be much different, which are what matters to me.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 847 of 2204, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Desk.JPG
Filename
Desk.JPG
File size
1.8 MiB
Views
File license

Moved to a new flat few months ago and finally have a corner to call my own 😀

On the left is Mrs early 2011 Mac Book Pro and Thunderbolt Display, docking station thingy.
Apple is overpriced but will say the screen/docking station layout works well and apart from upgrading the RAM and HDD her laptop has never misbehaved once! But onto the more fun desk, mine!

Top left is my very first PC, the Osborne DX2/66 with Roland SC55 and parallel Zip100 (Makes up for the dead CD-ROM)
Osbone 486 DX2 66 VL-Bus (My 1st PC ever)
Also sitting on top is a Dlink DES-1024 10/100 Switch. I've swapped the fans for quitter ones but still makes a bit of noise. It has a power switch on the back to easily turn off if my retro gear doesn't need network access.

Next to that is my PCI 486
Another 486 being built
It recently come out of storage and what I'm currently working on at the moment.

Next with the Red fans is a P4 build I'm 1/2 way though, more on that later.

Last PC on top of the desk is my Dell P3 1Ghz
Dell makes surprisingly good retro PC's
In a bit of a sorry state as have "borrowed" bits from it for other builds now. Has been useful recently with the side cover off pulling files off old IDE drives but windows is a mess with drivers for missing hardware all over the place.

Starting from the left on the floor with the blue fans
Probably my most used gaming PC My Asus P2B-DS Duel P3 600
Asus P2B-DS Build

Next is My WinXP Socket 775 PC, Mostly acts as the support PC with a 2TB drive with all my retro games drivers and ability to copy things to CD or the Gotek Floppy for older machines.
Socket 775 XP Build, Old PC gets a new life

Then we have the Prolient 1600 Duel P3 600 which also has a backup of all my Retro software, also has a Jazz 2GB SCSI drive connected to the parallel port till I get round to buying the right SCSI cable
Proliant 1600 Barn (well shop office) Find

Finally in the corner is a Dell Precision T5500 Duel Xeon 5504 2.00GHZ ESX server.
Was meant allow me to play with old OS's but never get the time and rarely is switched on. Mostly just to use my Win7 sandbox VM.

The 2 486's and the P3 with blue fans are attached to a small 4 port KVM which then is daisy chained off a 8 port Compaq KVM, for some reason the PCI 486 doesn.t like being plugged direct to the Compaq KVM.
Screen is a Dell 17" and keyboard is a Dell Quietkey both free from work. PS2 mouse is a Logitech MBT85 I brought years ago and holding up quite well.
Speakers are just cheap things I picked up somewhere, TV's other side of the room so don't get to play things loud anyway 🙁
My "high tech" mixer is audio extension cables to each PC and I just plug the speakers into whichever PC I'm using.

Only thing wrong is I don't have a work bench, got a few more old PC's and servers in storage and looks like that's where they will stay for now. Still I've gone from a corner of the dinning table at our old flat to this and feels nice to have all my "favourites" set up permanently.

Reply 848 of 2204, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Reorganized the room a bit and now here's how my retro computer area is setup. 😁

Photo taken with 2002 Sony Mavica MVC-FD200:
mvc_005f_by_mad_king_corduroy-datld0y.jpg

Photo taken with 2002 Sony Mavica MVC-FD200 (My new mug!):
mvc_006f_by_mad_king_corduroy-datlczm.jpg

Photo taken with 2010 Sony NEX-5:
untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-datldqw.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 849 of 2204, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

fMpeNYG.jpg

My setup

Z4oRaaW.jpg

Modern rig

zS6kCm1.jpg

dat tower

9U7pj1r.jpg

Anker mouse + HP PS/2 keyboard

XK7dT32.jpg

IBM Aptiva

fKPVWx9.jpg

IBM keyboard + mouse

axrBo2r.jpg

A car seat I turned into an office chair

P1326Sc.jpg

HP EliteBook 8470p

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 851 of 2204, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's getting out of hand. I need more shelves (ideally one to match what I've got) as it's a major effort to access my boxes of expansion cards and motherboards. It's currently an is l unusable space:

20170108_191652-1200x2133.jpg
Filename
File size
404.1 KiB
Views
File license

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 852 of 2204, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:

It's getting out of hand. I need more shelves (ideally one to match what I've got) as it's a major effort to access my boxes of expansion cards and motherboards. It's currently an is l unusable space:

Organizing shelves as "top heavy" might not be a good idea.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 854 of 2204, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:
brassicGamer wrote:

Organizing shelves as "top heavy" might not be a good idea.

Don't worry - there are 3x AT cases on the bottom and that Dell Precision weighs more than the CRTs put together!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 855 of 2204, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A shot of my newly rearranged desk.

LEFT TO RIGHT

- FRONT AND CENTER - Roland Juno Di Synth, has a MadKatz Fender Mustang Pro Midi Guitar controller going into it, and it cross interfaces with the laptop behind the LCD (USB) and the 486 to the right (MIDI to Gameport)

- Blackstar IDCORE 10 - New amp modeler to replace the Digitech RP-250 that had faulty memory (corrupting my sound patches for guitar), interfaces with main laptop via USB

- Laptop "stack" - behind the screen is my HP G70-436CL that I found in the trash the xmas before last and hot-rodded (Windows 10 x64, Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, Repalced Screen, 500GB SSD, needs replacement topcover and right side screen bracket/hinge though). It's attached to a Enlight 17" LCD via VGA, and uses an HP Keyboard and Dell mouse...it's my current "modern" setup.

- The silver thing below the screen is a Behringer 2024P Virtual Effects device - rackmount - the Blackstar and Roland are daisy-chained through it so I have some more effects options when I'm recording (which I'm doing int he picture).

- Next to that, my bin of Floppies, most of em' drivers, DDO's, and really old software

- Next to that is my 486 DX2-66 borrowing my 286's case because I don't have any not-in-use Baby AT cases around and no replacement XT power supplies for the case I was using previously. I'm planning a trip to one of our PC recycling centers this weekend to see if I can scrape up something Baby AT, AT, or XT somehow so I can give the innards a new home - maybe with an upgraded CPU and L2 Cache RAM chips to boot. And yes, that is AfterDark - under Windows For Workgroups.

Attachments

• desk.jpg
    Filename
    desk.jpg
    File size
    321.46 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    My Desk Jan 2017
    File license

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 856 of 2204, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
probnot wrote:
My low ceiling basement office area, completely with 80's Pioneer stereo goodness :) […]
Show full quote

My low ceiling basement office area, completely with 80's Pioneer stereo goodness 😀

EZ26r20.jpg

I really love those Coolermaster Centurion 5s 😀 (it is a Centurion 5, right?)
Though personally I prefer the ones without a transparent side panel 😜

The only thing I don't really like about those cases is that it's hard to remove the front bezel (and the front case fan).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 857 of 2204, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

I got the case when it first came out (13 or so years ago), when I wanted to have a window to show off lighting, etc. Now it just shows everyone how lazy I am with cable management, oh well...

Tetrium wrote:

The only thing I don't really like about those cases is that it's hard to remove the front bezel (and the front case fan).

I find it easy to remove the front, but it could just be well worn out. I like the front filter design, but it does get dirty quick!

Reply 858 of 2204, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
probnot wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

I got the case when it first came out (13 or so years ago), when I wanted to have a window to show off lighting, etc. Now it just shows everyone how lazy I am with cable management, oh well...

I also got one when these were new for building my first A64 and I bought another new one a rig later, but by then these were already being phased out and they only had the ones with the metal sides, so to say.

Later I got 1 or 2 extra spares second hand.

The side panels are compatible with another Coolermaster case I got not too long ago, they fit exactly the same way. Might be a nice way for you to find a donor side panel so you can re-hide your cable mess like I've done for years now 😁

probnot wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

I find it easy to remove the front, but it could just be well worn out. I like the front filter design, but it does get dirty quick!

Time for me to RTFM I guess 🤣
Or maybe there were several different variants?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 859 of 2204, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Or maybe there were several different variants?

Possibly. I just grab the front top corner and pull 😀

Tetrium wrote:

The side panels are compatible with another Coolermaster case I got not too long ago, they fit exactly the same way. Might be a nice way for you to find a donor side panel so you can re-hide your cable mess like I've done for years now 😁

I've been planning on upgrading the case to something a little more modern (cable management, rear access to motherboard, larger fan sizes supported, etc). Maybe I'll move something more vintage into this, so I can show off the green/brown PCB glory!