Topic actions

Reply 120 of 2213, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bushwack wrote:
Shagittarius wrote:

Keep a hold of your boxes. Someday you'll have the time and space and regret it if you lose them.

Back in the late 90's I threw many of my big boxes away. We were living in a small apartment and my wife and I had a baby. We just didn't have the room for those big buggers. 🙁

Last edited by bushwack on 2011-01-08, 16:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 121 of 2213, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Over the years I've never hung on to any games, right from the first game I bought (The Legacy) in 1993. Too late now to collect them. My friend, however, never throws anything away and he must have every title he ever bought (through my advice) from Screamer to Fatal Racing, Command and Conquer and till the present day. He bought maybe 3-6 games a month, every month, since 1995.

The most galling thing is, he has the TA Commander Pack and a big box System Shock 2 (which was opened and installed ONCE, and he didn't like it, so it was uninstalled and put away).

So now I have money, and he has the games. But will he sell them? Now thats the question.... will he....... wheres my phone book?

Reply 122 of 2213, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Big box System Shock 2 will still go for more than retail price when it was originally released if he sells it on ebay. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get 80+ dollars for it if its in good shape.

Reply 123 of 2213, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's in perfect condition, only really handled once or twice for a few seconds, then put away. I don't think he will know how much it is worth. In fact, he won't have a clue.

Reply 124 of 2213, by Alphakilo470

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally took a picture of what my setup looks like on a good day (normally, everything is covered in papers). The computer's an old Dell with a 3ghz Pentium 4 HT, 1gb PC3200, 256mb Radeon X800, 100gb hard drive, SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS, Windows 7 Ultimate.

Click for full size (1024x768):
tn_compy.jpg

Reply 125 of 2213, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Alphakilo470 wrote:
I finally took a picture of what my setup looks like on a good day (normally, everything is covered in papers). The computer's a […]
Show full quote

I finally took a picture of what my setup looks like on a good day (normally, everything is covered in papers). The computer's an old Dell with a 3ghz Pentium 4 HT, 1gb PC3200, 256mb Radeon X800, 100gb hard drive, SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS, Windows 7 Ultimate.

Click for full size (1024x768):
tn_compy.jpg

Nice, a 2004-ish Dell Poweredge lowend server 😀

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 126 of 2213, by Alphakilo470

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"Low end" wouldn't begin to describe the computer before I replaced just about everything in it (even the stock heatsink had to go!). However, as far as I know, it's the only PowerEdge with an AGP slot and it features the same motherboard as some of their Precision workstation systems of the time. I don't think the thing would have been fit for Windows 7 before I upgraded everything.

BTW, sadly, if you look around my desk, you'll see that tower is far from being the oldest thing I have sitting out.

Reply 127 of 2213, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like these OEM machines. Some don't like the limited BIOS options, but I find it convenient. Some of these old school BIOS options are just way to confusing 😜

DELL has a bunch of these small PCs. Optiplex or something like that. I always found them cute and they are getting quite cheap now (all Pentium 4s)

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 128 of 2213, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Alphakilo470 wrote:

"Low end" wouldn't begin to describe the computer before I replaced just about everything in it (even the stock heatsink had to go!). However, as far as I know, it's the only PowerEdge with an AGP slot and it features the same motherboard as some of their Precision workstation systems of the time. I don't think the thing would have been fit for Windows 7 before I upgraded everything.

BTW, sadly, if you look around my desk, you'll see that tower is far from being the oldest thing I have sitting out.

Yeah, some "low end" Precisions were s478 machines while the more high spec one's were s604 beasts

Gotta love these old Dell's before they turned into POS around 2005/2006
Use to have a Dell Precision 340 and and prior to that a 330...very solid machines

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 129 of 2213, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Iris030380 wrote:

The most galling thing is, he has the TA Commander Pack and a big box System Shock 2 (which was opened and installed ONCE, and he didn't like it, so it was uninstalled and put away).

Zomg! If I ever were to find this second hand or anything, I'd grab it and NEVER LET GO 😁

Reply 130 of 2213, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here goes.

Welcome to my Gametopia!

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Over at the left end is Consolia, housing my console collection.

Middle table houses my x86 retro PCs: 486/66, 286/20, and Pentium 133 (from left to right). My P3 667 doesn't have a home at the moment, but is awaiting a new PSU anyway.

Right table has my Quadra 700 and Amiga A1200HD.

Up in the shelves is the remains of my meagre boxed game collection. My disk-only stuff is in those Case Logic CD wallet type things. I had loads of boxed games before I moved out of home. *sigh*

Reply 133 of 2213, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

It looks really neat! Though a little bit cramped at the keybaord(s 😁)

Thanks!

Yeah it is a little cramped on the desk there, but I can't see myself using the Mac and Ami simultaneously, so I can just shuffle them around as needed. 😀

Tetrium wrote:

aaand I see a NWN collector's box? Neat!

Yeah, picked that up quite cheaply, about a week before Undrentide came out.

Reply 134 of 2213, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:
Thanks! […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

It looks really neat! Though a little bit cramped at the keybaord(s 😁)

Thanks!

Yeah it is a little cramped on the desk there, but I can't see myself using the Mac and Ami simultaneously, so I can just shuffle them around as needed. 😀

Tetrium wrote:

aaand I see a NWN collector's box? Neat!

Yeah, picked that up quite cheaply, about a week before Undrentide came out.

Bit off topic, but I was kinda looking for an offline version of GuildWars, but NWN was nice also!
I ended up giving myself a couple extra magic tricks, like that "Death" skill 😁

Reply 136 of 2213, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sitting here bored at work, thought I'd just chat a little bit about the KVM setup.

It's a LASER brand KVM switch with PS/2 style connectors. Problem is that all my x86 retro boxes use AT keyboards and serial mice.

So, I made a bunch of custom pigtails to connect the AT sockets on the computers to the PS/2 sockets on the KVM switch, and another short adaptor to connect the AT keyboard. I could have bought adaptors, but the parts were actually cheaper.

The serial mice thing was a little more difficult, though. Since there was just no way to get the KVM to speak serial mouse language, I decided to build that part myself. I bought a 4-pole, 3-position rotary switch and some cable, found the four pins that serial mice actually use, and followed that through to the logical conclusion. It's not elegant, but it works fairly well, and even if I forget to toggle the switch before I power up a PC, I can just do it afterwards and re-load the mouse driver.

Reply 137 of 2213, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
Here goes. […]
Show full quote

Here goes.

Welcome to my Gametopia!

[...............]

Over at the left end is Consolia, housing my console collection.

Middle table houses my x86 retro PCs: 486/66, 286/20, and Pentium 133 (from left to right). My P3 667 doesn't have a home at the moment, but is awaiting a new PSU anyway.

Right table has my Quadra 700 and Amiga A1200HD.

Up in the shelves is the remains of my meagre boxed game collection. My disk-only stuff is in those Case Logic CD wallet type things. I had loads of boxed games before I moved out of home. *sigh*

OMG, ever hear of retr0bright? Make that stuff look good! 😲

Reply 138 of 2213, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From what I've read, retrobright is also a PAIN to actually uhm..."do".
When I read about "mixing x% of this with y% of that, then stirr for z minutes...", it's more like a recipe 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 139 of 2213, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had a go with retrobrigt, and its not as painful as you might think. I just mix up a small batch in a disposable cup and that gives enough to smear over the front of the average case.
However it wasn't super effective. It did take the edge off but there was a certain point after which repeated treatments didn't make much difference.

Since I did that, some have discovered that simply using whitening laundry power like 'napi-san' or 'Vanish' in a tub of warm water is just as effetive:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showt … 2614#post162614

Seems that the more sodium percarbonate, the better.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.