VOGONS

post up pics of your "computing area"

Topic actions

Reply 680 of 2213, by Atreus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's not entire "Sold Out" collection. I've wanted titles only for PIII 600 MHz & Win98 but I have couple more titles for better CPU.

Reply 681 of 2213, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My capture computer got upgraded, I will likely do a video on that very soon, so I took the time to clean up my lab a little bit. Here is an overview of my computer-lab 😀

The desks are these folding type desks. I didn't want something too permanent just in case I have to move. They fit perfectly in this room, 3 large desks in U shape.

There are two machines permanently. My Super Scoket 7 time machine and my capture computer.

The other spots are test benches, work areas, and temporary machines. You can see the machine I use for my current Windows 98 benchmarking project. That machine will likely be there for a long time as this project will take months to complete.

Underneath the desks are plastic containers with bits that I can access quickly. In the other bedroom I have large shelves with large storage containers for less-frequently accessed parts.

oenQpcZh.jpg

gO6DRqXh.jpg

GqKeyuLh.jpg

bMmOPubh.jpg

VizHlELh.jpg

VTJ5I3Mh.jpg

9gNC6gBh.jpg

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 682 of 2213, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice and clean setup phil! It seems to be set up with flexibility in mind. Interesting that you keep you s7 time machine build as the only complete system on hand. Do you consider it as your best "all in one solution" for dos gaming (if you had to choose)? I know an all in one solution is pretty much impossible but I'm guessing your ss7 time machine is close to being able to play at least over half of all dos games ever made (with some cache tweaks)?

Reply 683 of 2213, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retrofanatic wrote:

Very nice and clean setup phil! It seems to be set up with flexibility in mind. Interesting that you keep you s7 time machine build as the only complete system on hand. Do you consider it as your best "all in one solution" for dos gaming (if you had to choose)? I know an all in one solution is pretty much impossible but I'm guessing your ss7 time machine is close to being able to play at least over half of all dos games ever made (with some cache tweaks)?

Yes, flexibility is very important. While I started it with DOSBox and then DOS gaming, I am now into pretty much everything. I find DOS as awesome as Windows 98 or XP gaming. Each period is special in their own way.

The SS7 platform is, in my eyes, hands-down the best solution. It is my reference, my go-to machine, to test issues, do captures, and play games. All the GOG games get tested on this machine to see if they work. Most are installed on the drive, it now has a humongous 120 GB drive for all the DOS games you can think of 😁

It has a P200, but clocked at 100 MHz for better compatibility. Installed is Windows 98 SE for easy networking and folder management, and I configured MS-DOS mode with my boot menu.

GFX is a FX5200 because of cloned DVI and VGA in DOS. For sound it has AWE64 Gold and MPU-401AT. An Ethernet NIC for the homework and a little gadget I built myself which connects the analogue CD audio output to a rear bracket with RCA ports. That way I can mix it easily.

I used to have these four MIDI devices all hooked up with an audio switch box, but I got over the cable spaghetti mess. Now I just connect on a per project basis.

The machine next to the yellow screen is my splinter cell PC. I started playing it again, but then stopped and got busy with other work. I think I will never quite finish it 🤣

Reply 684 of 2213, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

Now I just connect on a per project basis.

It was such a relief when I started to do this retro hardware thing this way! 😊

Reply 685 of 2213, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TELEPACMAN wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

Now I just connect on a per project basis.

It was such a relief when I started to do this retro hardware thing this way! 😊

Yea. At some stage I had 4 set machines, all hooked up with a KVM and everything. But then I kept wanting to change the machines, swap the sound card, change the graphics card. So I quickly realised that this isn't going to work for me.

So now I have 2 - 3 benches ready to go. Whatever I need I just quickly assemble on a motherboard box and off we go 😀 I very much prefer this.

After each project my room looks like a tornado has passed, so then I pack it all away, clean it up and ready for the next project 😁

Reply 686 of 2213, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've also accepted that a machine I've built is never finished - messing around with different combos of the hardware is just too much fun. It does concern me though that cards / motherboards / etc were not designed to be installed / re-installed constantly. I assume that I'm shortening their life-spans no matter how carefull I am - particularly my older ISA / VLB stuff, which can require a decent amount of force to push in / pull out.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 687 of 2213, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I dedicated a room for my computing area, currently in need of a good dusting and serious cable management.

20151019_130311.jpg
Filename
20151019_130311.jpg
File size
3.46 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20151019_130532_edited.jpg
Filename
20151019_130532_edited.jpg
File size
954.68 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 688 of 2213, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rgart wrote:

I dedicated a room for my computing area, currently in need of a good dusting and serious cable management.

Needs a matrix screensaver! 🤣

Seriously, nice setup! Do you game on the upper monitors? Isn't this uncomfortable?

@Phil: I appreciate your concept of doing things. Tinkering with hardware is fun! Though I prefer building a machine, configuring it, having it look as nice as possible, and adding it as a finished product to my collection. I would be missing that if I were only building temporary setups like you do.

Reply 689 of 2213, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's cool 😀

I realised that I enjoy the building, testing and mucking around a lot more than actually playing on a finished machine 😊

Reply 692 of 2213, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These are older, but this is the new man cave - things have changed since then, might put up more recent pics later on.....

attachment.php?attachmentid=27393&d=1445467285

attachment.php?attachmentid=27392&d=1445467281

attachment.php?attachmentid=27391&d=1445467278

attachment.php?attachmentid=27389&d=1445467271

And when I look back - I see this....

attachment.php?attachmentid=27394&d=1445467288

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 693 of 2213, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
creepingnet wrote:
And when I look back - I see this.... […]
Show full quote

Woah!!! Not sure what's more impressive - the PCs or the guitars! What's the black one in the middle? Has it got a keyboard on it 😉 I'm also curious to know what sequencing package you're using - I'm guessing Cubase rather than Cakewalk?

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 695 of 2213, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:
creepingnet wrote:
And when I look back - I see this.... […]
Show full quote

Woah!!! Not sure what's more impressive - the PCs or the guitars! What's the black one in the middle? Has it got a keyboard on it 😉 I'm also curious to know what sequencing package you're using - I'm guessing Cubase rather than Cakewalk?

The black one in the middle is a Casio DG-1 Digital Guitar. No keys - instead it has six nylon strings that pass over a rubber fingerboard and attach to some "trigger contacts" at the bridge end. The rubber fingerboard has a membrane underneath that senses where your fingers are on the strings. This was a very early attempt at a guitar synthesizer - it sounds a bit like a Casiotone keyboard but in guitar format. They also made 2 other models - the DG-10, and DG-20, the latter of which has Midi and a more sound options than the 10 or 1 has.

For sequencing/MIDI/Synth control I use the red Mad Katz Fender Mustang Pro Rock Band 3 controller to the right of the 486. For software, I usually use Presto Arranger Win16 or Voyetra Sequencer pro for DOS on the 486 or 286. Otherwise, I use it to drive my Roland Juno Di with some custom patches so I can play synthy sounding bits on a guitar (I'm a way better guitarist than keyboardist). Most of my recording is one on the middle pc with the dual screens - a 2003 Dell Dimension 4600 Pentium 4 2.8GHz box with 3GB of RAM and Win XP/Win7 dual boot - using an older version of REAPER.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 697 of 2213, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is my DigilogueMuseum. Link: https://sites.google.com/site/digiloguemuseum/home

The paper wrapped box in picture 2 is the original Magnavox Odyssey.

IMG_0337.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7cqOEc6bwf9-B3uBTvR51p6-DKXiMSANtaUNVpvW2T0A8vbhnkus6JP4mbdfAxVO5Yzz4YntGtYs446KWvyB-ianAie68iwF8Qjo781kDFabdWcY9BYklm1Ty8cqK0FyENRwTHCjiiLciSysORJOVwMK1JkZnPi0HbPzeBvhX8_Y-FT-Jf9M9V66_d0MoxQbCDYrxTqLAcqGfqXbLTct6cJdncspvKoYgKS_XZZ_fzTQZs257ys%3D&attredirects=0

IMG_0338.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7crnsBX0qwoZ1DSw9qUz8VGnCQ8NkWdiNXZLtazOIAFtJNMx_EEXnK2VztYMshTATrDwn8XeH_VHNUlExmo9m-3IZqBDGifidlknbliSlibE63d9Sbi2fSzKDKQD4c8XKZCLKVh6coEZNReJ7agOjHKRQiddgbW3_E3gbLcB_lfuwFZl74akOoR2SzqExtgghzf0EwLUawtJQEqMeIjj9S9HX3EqN2OfyJt6i1TFf35e6Gul9Ac%3D&attredirects=0

IMG_0339.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7cqyhGWbCp62X37ad_kcAf7FqnO59Sa7yLyrpdz-FnOWVSEkRXvdBDOAMWIdbzAql3QJaN5NrDNlLn2l29tQUBaEOLMYAfx1koGmh8StMWouMRB0Pe4ni2BY5Z5RGqE0XIsHaQZK90H0m7Y51zjuneBC8wk6c-Ukt1drBhsyKjuDfcc_FQWk3birxje0v_fMiHEwAwOKbZ9qw-5u2dJ9xSNHI3sff2ndOFpKNl1F1vSux10mqms%3D&attredirects=0

IMG_0340.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7co6a44xe_guwJdhES477ABABo2-glNQzUL2RTaJzD6t-nx9VJq6BRGHvzgfGP2RTyRA8Dz-zyMfbi0B5_PVBzywghZj4O6ozvT6DS71Quzr6Wuci_clgEf1ysAKFTaoTaDeOHQdQy9F95uQtsLBeyCDGMs2fmXh-PgbdsU4Txb7i8MF3gKAkYMNExU5kbXq6QtDv2iJWQG1klLWM7eI9U99fdVYs09M7dI8n0RjLaP-zhricRQ%3D&attredirects=0

Regards,
Vlad.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 699 of 2213, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very impressive collection vladstamate.

I'm liking the trs80 III and the 5150 and 5160.

And rodarkone...your collection is very nice as well! Is that where you do your gaming as well? Do you just use a computer monitor for Console gaming?