post up pics of your "computing area"

Topic actions

Reply 761 of 2213, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

Dude you're weirding me out - how'd you get a photo of my toilet?

I was looking for esoteric computer hardware. Little did I know I'd also strike a pocket of natural gas.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 762 of 2213, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:
http://cdn.thegreenestdollar.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/13campsite-outhouse.gif […]
Show full quote

13campsite-outhouse.gif

Auxiliary compute area? Multi tasking center?

BATHROOM.

"HOW TO SPEAK AUSTRALIAN" 🤣

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 763 of 2213, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I moved countries last year and sold or gave away most of my retro stuff - however I kept some systems my folks place back in Europe, so here's my "retro" computing area there:

2sQWVAO.jpg?1

This is my new setup at my current place, simple IKEA desk but it does the job fine:

6tkajG4.jpg?1

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 765 of 2213, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is mine and yes, my work desk indeed looks like the aftermath of WW2 😀

In the middle is a 20" Philips TV with "state of the art" 640x480 panel. Right next to it is a 15" Neovo monitor (1024x768) which is quite nice for old games.

DSC_0636.JPG
Filename
DSC_0636.JPG
File size
382.69 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 766 of 2213, by copados33

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Half-Saint wrote:

In the middle is a 20" Philips TV with "state of the art" 640x480 panel. [/attachment]

Those are pretty difficult to find nowadays, I'm desperately looking for one.

Anyways, when this thread started I was ashamed of posting my computer "desk" after seeing nothing but extremely clean and full of expensive hardware setups from the folks here, but now that I have seen very humble,(but cool at the same time) setups, I feel like posting mine could clash fine here, so here it is... my current computing corner, nothing fancy, my retro computers are stored elsewhere togheter with my collection of old MIDI ext. synths.

100_2884_zpspgrvhfoa.jpg

Reply 768 of 2213, by copados33

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ahh yes, the arcade machines, I have 6, the one in the photo is an old japanese Capcom cabinet, it was the official Street fighter 2 World Warrior and Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition cabinet in Japan, it was released in two models, one with a 18" monitor and this one with a slightly bigger 25" screen, mine is the 6 buttons per player variant: http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/9/9f/Capco … StatusFlyer.jpg

Reply 769 of 2213, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My small contribution to my favourite thread:

20160410_123447_zpsggbvlgqf.jpg

Its my 4DPS running IBM 5x86-100, SB PRO 2.0 and Number Nine Motion 331 graphics.

LCD is Iiyama 1702S. Scales DOS pretty nice to my taste.

In the top drawer SB AWE32 and GUS are waiting for the new case to arrive.

And my W530 next to it. 10.000 times faster, but to some extent inferior.

Last edited by tikoellner on 2016-04-18, 20:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 771 of 2213, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I love the font you used for your descriptions. "Cable management example"--LOL

One of these days I will get the courage to post a pic of my basement corner, OR get off my butt and clean and organize it properly before taking that photo.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 772 of 2213, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

I love the font you used for your descriptions. "Cable management example"--LOL

One of these days I will get the courage to post a pic of my basement corner, OR get off my butt and clean and organize it properly before taking that photo.

I'm pretty terrible with any kind of cable management, even if i try to do a good job on cable mamagement on my builds the results are kind of meeeh.
Its almost a safety management(cables not getting stuck on the fan, not blocking the airflow) than cosmetic management.

Reply 773 of 2213, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love seeing all these examples of how people arrange their stuff! I hope to eventually take a few photos of my own stuff as well, although my geek collection is a little larger than many of the photos here so I may embarrass myself once the true extent of my addiction is known 😉

I love the cable management example, and I'm surprised at how many people have a musical focus with MIDI-related hardware. I'm also surprised at how many people have their nice computer gear sitting on the world's oldest table with the world's most uncomfortable-looking chair! I guess you just get used to that. Very interesting!

Reply 774 of 2213, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malvineous wrote:

I love seeing all these examples of how people arrange their stuff! I hope to eventually take a few photos of my own stuff as well, although my geek collection is a little larger than many of the photos here so I may embarrass myself once the true extent of my addiction is known 😉

I love the cable management example, and I'm surprised at how many people have a musical focus with MIDI-related hardware. I'm also surprised at how many people have their nice computer gear sitting on the world's oldest table with the world's most uncomfortable-looking chair! I guess you just get used to that. Very interesting!

Then how about my setup - where there is no chair at all ;--) I just have it all sitting on the chest of drawers in my bedroom.

But again, they say that standing desks are the newest trend in office floor arrangement (I would argue, though) 😉

Reply 775 of 2213, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tikoellner wrote:

Then how about my setup - where there is no chair at all ;--)

I'm not sure, I don't see any photos 😜

Reply 776 of 2213, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A few days ago I finally took my retro rigs back at home: specifically, 2x 486 (a 486 DX-33 VLB-based + AMD AM486 DX4-100 build) and a dedicated PC for Windows 98, updated with unofficial patch (QDI BrillianX 1S/2000 + PIII@450mhz, 128mb RAM PC100, Voodoo II SLI, etc), connected to the same Compaq CRT monitor and keyboard + Logitech serial mouse by Belkin 4 ports KVM:

Strana_Parabola_San_Martino_Grosseto_4449.jpg

Strana_Parabola_San_Martino_Grosseto_4454.jpg

Strana_Parabola_San_Martino_Grosseto_4457.jpg

Strana_Parabola_San_Martino_Grosseto_4458.jpg

Reply 777 of 2213, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh nice! I'm looking for a tower case like that at the moment. I want to build a machine with as many different drives in it as possible, and a case like that would be perfect! Is that a cassette drive? How does that work? I've only ever seen one flashy cassette drive that was internal, but controlled via the serial port and connected to the sound card (via cables that stuck out the back) so I didn't think it was that elegant.

Reply 778 of 2213, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malvineous wrote:

Oh nice! I'm looking for a tower case like that at the moment. I want to build a machine with as many different drives in it as possible, and a case like that would be perfect! Is that a cassette drive? How does that work? I've only ever seen one flashy cassette drive that was internal, but controlled via the serial port and connected to the sound card (via cables that stuck out the back) so I didn't think it was that elegant.

Thanks - that strange drive is an internal tape backup drive that use standard MC tapes, like the ones we used to play in our stereo, with little differences - currently inserted in it there's a Verbatim tape 😉

Reply 779 of 2213, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is what my modern computer setup looks like, where I spend most of my computing time. That's an 3.3ghz i5 btw with 2.5TB of HDD space and 8GB of DDR3 RAM running Fedora Linux and Windows 7.

dsc05773_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-da02r0k.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!