VOGONS

First post, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just got an old IBM notebook from a guy at work 😀

It's an IBM thinkpad 755cx, made in 1995...I believe the retail price was over 6000 bucks when it was new 😳

It has a whoppin' Pentium 75, 40 meg's of RAM
It has no built in cd-rom, just a floppy...and no room for a floppy module but I plan to solve that with an old adaptec 1460 PCMCI SCSI adapter and hook up an external cd-rom.

It came with three harddrive's in their special caddy's
Two are 500 meg and one is 2,1 gig
I installed Win95 from floppy's on the 2.1 gig drive

It has some WD graphics chip with one meg's which isn't very jaw-dropping.

The sound comes from something caled IBM "MWave" which is a combined modem and sound card with some midi capabilities and Sound Blaster 1.5 support which to my ears sounds very good 😀

What I really like about this unit is the TFT screen which is awesome...crystal clear picture and no "ghosting" like most other laptop screens suffer from.

Some pic's

d0103956198597.gif

c00c8356198601.gif

Plan to get a working battery for it since the one inside went belly up loong time ago...and maybe max out the RAM if it's possible

So this ol' thing will only be used for portable DOS gaming 😀

Last edited by Amigaz on 2010-07-06, 19:05. Edited 2 times in total.

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 1 of 13, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The sound comes from something caled IBM "Soundwave" which is a combined modem and sound card with some midi capabilities and Sound Blaster 1.5 support which to my ears sounds very good

Unless it's something different from the desktop version, it's called MWave. And it's one of the most notoriously frustrating pieces of crap ever made, both as a modem and as a sound card... IIRC there was even a class-action lawsuit over it at one point. But... if it works for you, great.

Reply 2 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Let us know how that IBM sound works. If it works. 😀

Also I'm wondering how the LCD is. Is it yellowing? Also, for that price it should be an active matrix screen. Fortunately.

Reply 3 of 13, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

The sound comes from something caled IBM "Soundwave" which is a combined modem and sound card with some midi capabilities and Sound Blaster 1.5 support which to my ears sounds very good

Unless it's something different from the desktop version, it's called MWave. And it's one of the most notoriously frustrating pieces of crap ever made, both as a modem and as a sound card... IIRC there was even a class-action lawsuit over it at one point. But... if it works for you, great.

Yes, I stand corrected..it's MWave 😀

What were the issues with MWave back then?

Reply 4 of 13, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Let us know how that IBM sound works. If it works. 😀

Also I'm wondering how the LCD is. Is it yellowing? Also, for that price it should be an active matrix screen. Fortunately.

The sound works, have tested it in pure DOS with some games
But I haven't figured out how to activate the midi stuff yet....when running the sound config in DOS (FASTCFG.EXE) it just says it's disabled and there's no way to activate it.

Nope, no visible yellowing 😀

In the manual the say it's a "TFT" screen...I thought these screens were called "LCD" back then?

Reply 5 of 13, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

TFT (active matrix) LCD screens were then marketed heavily because older LCD screens used the DSTN (passive matrix) technology. TFT displays are superior to DSTN ones as DSTN can look washed out, a little murky and generally have bad response times (resulting in ghosting).

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 6 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

let's put some emphasis on that. 😁

dual scan/passive matrix = bad response time
more properly referred to as blur mush sludge. The high viscosity LCD hehe.

Reply 7 of 13, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

d**n thats an old laptop i've playing around with the Toshiba 2800 and 2805 satellite series, i almost know them inside and out like the back of my hand. hhmm i wonder if i us AS5 how well would it over clock or how badly will it over clock, hhhhmmm.

Reply 8 of 13, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's the spec's from the manual:

1 Mwave DSP audio, telephony, and fax/modem features
The ThinkPad Mwave digital signal processor (DSP) provides high-quality audio, telephony and modem/fax
functions. With a built-in speaker and a microphone, they complete your multimedia computing solution.
(See page 75.)
Note: In some countries, the Mwave telephony functions are available only after the DAA/Telephony Kit
option is installed.

2 Infrared communication support
Two infrared ports supplied with your computer make wireless serial communication possible.
(See page 72.)

3 ThinkPad Features program
The ThinkPad Features program allows you to set various parameters either with a graphical user interface
or with commands. (See page 35.)

4 Power management
Power management sets the computer to different modes to save battery power when you are not using the
computer. It also provides a resume function, which quickly returns you to your previous operation. (See
page 50.)

5 Security features
The computer provides security passwords for the computer and hard disk drive. Lock security and a
personalization utility are also provided. (See Chapter 5.)

6 Fn key function
The combination of this Fn key and a function key controls display modes, battery power-saving modes, or
other functions. (See page 48.)

7 TFT color LCD screen
A brilliant TFT color LCD screen supports 65 536 colors with the following display resolution for each model:
The 755CX SVGA model supports SVGA (800-by-600 resolution) video mode besides VGA (640-by-480)
mode.
The 755CX VGA model supports VGA (640-by-480) mode.

8 Easy-Setup
The built-in system programs in Easy-Setup makes the basic setup of your computer easy.
(See page 42.)

9 TrackPoint III
With TrackPoint III, pointing, selecting, and dragging all become part of a single process without your lifting
your hands from the keyboard. (See page 23.)

1 PCMCIA** support
The computer provides two Personal Computer Memory Card Association (PCMCIA) slots. PCMCIA
software is also provided, so that you can use PC Card** more easily and conveniently. (See page 61.)

11 Long-life battery pack
The operating time of

Haven't found any info on how much RAM it takes

Reply 10 of 13, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a the dock for this laptop with another broken Thinkpad 755CX

What's interesting about this dock is that it has an ISA slot 😀

Haven't decided what to put there yet but if I can disable the crappy mwave soundchip on the Thinkpad I'll use a Sound Blaster 16 in the dock

2a34d887450517.jpg

c756d287450519.jpg

1970bc87450524.jpg

504c4787450529.jpg

306f4687450535.jpg

0643f987450540.jpg

Reply 12 of 13, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

I want a PowerPC Thinkpad. 😁

PowerPC? but what you want to run on that? must be horrible for retro gaming but great if you're a linux-nerd or something 😉