Topic actions

Reply 22 of 29, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:
cdoublejj wrote:

try it with fluxbox? xp needs 512mb if your running A/V i have had only 1 machine witch could run A/v and fire fox and stay around 256mb usage. oh also puppy or damn small llinux?

Yeah, been thoinking of trying one of those Linux flavours but I'm crap at installing un-userfriendly lniux stuff

btw. have 512mb ECC SDRAM in the dual p pro rig so RAM size isn't an issue 😀

I understand linux in general can be complicated flux box is supposed to be as easy as installing it then at the logon screen select flubox. but there are also puppy and damn small linux. if i had extra laptop hard drives i would play around with them my self.

I also heard of tiny xp it's torrent so it's not legit. i'd call it FAIR if you used to replace your normal install. I thought about trying tiny xp in place of one my technet provided XPs.

Reply 24 of 29, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nights wrote:

mmmmmh really strange linux goes really and I mean REALLY well... on a modest 386... and flies on 486s and Pentiums... why it should go dog slow on a Dual PPro system????????

Maybe you're not stripping enough crap from distributions and can't maintain your own Linux system

It just depends on what you're using it for, and what distro.

If you're running it on a 386 or 486, you likely have a VERY stripped down distro. A dual PPro is new enough that he* is likely trying to use a more full-featured distro. Yup, Xubuntu is a fairly full-featured one. When you talk about "goes really well" on a 386, I guarantee you aren't trying to use Xubuntu.

*Yes, Amigaz could be a she, but statistically speaking, the group on this board is predominantly male, so I feel safe using that assumption.

Reply 25 of 29, by manbearpig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've seen dual socket 5 motherboards.

I have seen, and I own. 😁

Attachments

• DSCN0233.JPG
    Filename
    DSCN0233.JPG
    File size
    135.42 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 27 of 29, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for skipping some posts, but for the XP vs 2k deal, I recommend XP FLP. It's not technically "available" to the general public but you can get your hands on a copy. It was a stripped down version of XP designed to run on Windows 98SE-class machines with reasonable speed. It's as fast as Win2k if not faster, basically a Microsoft-nLited XP.

nights wrote:

mmmmmh really strange linux goes really and I mean REALLY well... on a modest 386... and flies on 486s and Pentiums... why it should go dog slow on a Dual PPro system????????

Maybe you're not stripping enough crap from distributions and can't maintain your own Linux system

If it were optimized for 16-bit CPUs it would go fast on a 386, 486, or Pentium and suck on a PPro - the PPro was optimized for PURE 32-bit, and I'd imagine anything written for a 386/486/Pentium would have a bias toward 16-bit code for speed's sake, and thus suffer on a PPro. The PPro is about the same clock speed as a late Pentium, so if you think about them as equal, the PPro better at 32-bit and the Pentium at 16-bit, it starts to make sense.

Reply 28 of 29, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PPro isn't crippled by 16-bit code, but it is faster with 32-bit software. If you run 16-bit software on it, then it's essentially no faster than a Pentium at the same clock rate. It certainly is very inefficient when you take its power consumption into account though.

PPro's are pretty nice for 3D games because the FPU and L2 cache are definitely in another class compared to a Pentium setup. There was about a year of time when the PPro was a good choice for 3D games. The Pentium MMX definitely muddied the decision however with its 32K L1 and MMX.

Reply 29 of 29, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😮 FUCK ME!!! I want one of those usb+pata+sata cards!

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)