My first (crappy) PC *UPDATED*

Topic actions

First post, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

*Warning* this thread might be boring to some 😁

A couple of weeks ago I got my first PC back from my grandmother who in turn had got it from my aunt which I sold it to in 2002 when I went Dell/Rambus machine (yay!)

The PC is a Fujitsu Siemens (yuck) Scaleo which I bought in April 2000 for 18000:- which is roughly 2300 USD today

Specs:

Mobo = MSI 6156, VIA VT82C693A (YUCK!)
Full specs http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&pro … 170&cat3_no=109
CPU = slot 1 PIII Coppermine @ 667mhz
RAM = 2x 256mb PC133 SDRAM
GFX = Geforce 2MX
SOUND = Sound Blaster Live Platinum
HDD = 60 gig IBM "deathstar"

Can't believe how I could pay this much for this POS back then but my computer skills were zero back then when I didn't care about PC...only cared about cars, boats etc
This board doesn't even have AGP 2X! 🤣 and only supports max 512mb RAM if you can find the 256mb sticks this crappy mobo will accept.
When I got this PC in my hands again I started remembering all the troubles I use to have with it together with WIN98 and Win ME 😜

When I sold it it had the Live Drive front panel for the SB Live Platinum card and an HP CDRW drive but my "crafty" cousin seem to have snatched these before my grandmother got the PC

Some pics:

45721d86199115.jpg

4f961d86199117.jpg

70982c86199120.jpg

This thread might be crap but I felt I had to post this since this PC meant alot to me back then...played alot of CS clan fights, finished Diablo II, Soldier Of Fortune etc....sweet memories
After this PC I had a Dell Precision 330 (1.8ghz P4 rambus) and then a Precision 340 (dual xeon's)

Edit: when I bought the Fujitsu Siemens PC it only had a 20gig hdd, 128mb RAM, a very lousy 4x cd burner and a slooow Ati Expert 2000 AGP gfx card which Diablo II lagged like hell on before I upgraded to the GF 2MX...it also only had the onboard AC97 sound

Last edited by Amigaz on 2010-09-29, 18:46. Edited 1 time in total.

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 2 of 60, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh not a nasty VIA P3 chipset. Eeek. I suggest you install George Breese's VIA PCI patch.

BTW, it's not special that the board needs low density 256MB sticks. Most SDRAM chipsets don't have support for higher density RAM chips.

Reply 3 of 60, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This board doesn't even have AGP 2X! and only supports max 512mb RAM if you can find the 256mb sticks this crappy mobo will accept.

You've got your specs a bit wrong, there. It does have AGP 2X, and it supports up to 1GB RAM. You don't need the low-density memory on the 693A.

I honestly don't really see anything particularly bad about that system, really. Via chipsets aren't the greatest, but with the right drivers and software patches they work decently enough. (Though, they work a lot better in Win2k than under 98/SE/ME, in my experience.)

Reply 4 of 60, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Everything runs better in XP/2k as long as you have enough RAM and it's PII or better. 😀

Amigaz, how did you get the specs wrong after you linked us the specs page! There is no such thing as a AGP 1x-only slot.

Reply 5 of 60, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Everything runs better in XP/2k as long as you have enough RAM and it's PII or better. 😀

Amigaz, how did you get the specs wrong after you linked us the specs page! There is no such thing as a AGP 1x-only slot.

The quick specs are wrong...please d/l and read the mobo manual 😀

I can confirm that it won't take 2x 512mb RAM and different utils such as cpu-z report that the AGP port is runing at 1X

Reply 6 of 60, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Amigaz wrote:
swaaye wrote:

I can confirm that it won't take 2x 512mb RAM and different utils such as cpu-z report that the AGP port is runing at 1X

But that might not mean the slot itself is incapable of running at 2x. Check the BIOS, might be something in it 😉

Reply 7 of 60, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Amigaz wrote:
swaaye wrote:

But that might not mean the slot itself is incapable of running at 2x. Check the BIOS, might be something in it 😉

Have checked that...no options even with the latest BIOS 😜

Reply 8 of 60, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Amigaz wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
Amigaz wrote:

Maybe it's something to do with that oem BIOS?

Reply 9 of 60, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Amigaz wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Maybe it's something to do with that oem BIOS?

I've flashed the board with the latest ROM from MSI's website

Reply 10 of 60, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some graphics cards will put themselves into 1x mode if the AGP slot has issues. VIA chipsets usually have such issues. Could be crappy board quality or BIOS problems too.

Reply 11 of 60, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Some graphics cards will put themselves into 1x mode if the AGP slot has issues. VIA chipsets usually have such issues. Could be crappy board quality or BIOS problems too.

That VIA chipset is one of the earlier ones for slot1. I did find with such a chipset, it's performance is SuperPi was about 10% lower then when using an Intel 815 chipset.
It did have advantages though (the later VIA P3 ones), more compatible with RAM (higher density and more then just 512MB)

They are not that bad...they are just not really good 😜

Reply 12 of 60, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Maybe I should try a different GF2?

a4d00886365072.jpg

536bfe86365420.jpg

Reply 13 of 60, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Amigaz wrote:
Maybe I should try a different GF2? […]
Show full quote
swaaye wrote:

Maybe I should try a different GF2?

a4d00886365072.jpg

536bfe86365420.jpg

The "Graphics Interface 4x" must be the GF card, the mobo doesn't support 4x AGP mode, only 1x and 2x.

What are you trying to tell us with those screenshots?
-Edit:Woops, was already there!-

And try the GF in another board, just to make sure it can work at AGP 4x speed

Reply 14 of 60, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think that some piece of software is shutting AGP down this basic mode. It could be the AGP driver or the NVIDIA driver. It's all for stability's sake. VIA AGP2x chipsets were really bad. Both K6 and Slot 1 stuff alike.

The card is running in AGP 1x mode without sideband addressing or fast writes. That means it's basically sitting on a 66 MHz PCI bus. I've seen this happen with the VIA K6 AGP chipsets too.

Chipset info:
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/le … ro133/index.jsp

If you haven't installed the VIA 4-in-1 drivers, you can try that.
http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp

IMO, what you really want for that board is a Voodoo 5. That "keep it simple" 3dfx AGP design is nice here.

Last edited by swaaye on 2010-06-28, 22:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 60, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The AGP driver will reprogram the chipset and bypass BIOS settings. I've seen the VIA 4-in-1 pack's AGP driver shut AGP down to 1x mode without sideband regardless of BIOS settings.

It still doesn't make these AGP 2x VIA boards stable with some cards. 🤣. I think some of these AGP 2x mobos have AGP power delivery problems too. Ugly nastiness.

Reply 17 of 60, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

The AGP driver will reprogram the chipset and bypass BIOS settings. I've seen the VIA 4-in-1 pack's AGP driver shut AGP down to 1x mode without sideband regardless of BIOS settings.

It still doesn't make these AGP 2x VIA boards stable with some cards. 🤣. I think some of these AGP 2x mobos have AGP power delivery problems too. Ugly nastiness.

Yup, but those AGP power delivery problems weren't VIA's fault 😜
It was a hardware problem. I'm not sure about the AGP setting though. It 'could' be a driver problem. Sounds more likely then it being caused because he flashed an oem board with a retail BIOS. Amigaz did mention he couldn't set it to AGP2x even though the BIOS, according to documentation, should be able to.

In any case, personally I definitely like some of VIA's chipsets. Too bad they left the chipset business.

Reply 18 of 60, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Like I said the VIA AGP driver will sometimes change AGP settings regardless of the BIOS settings. He should check out what AGP driver is running on there. I've seen this firsthand with VIA MVP3, a chipset of similar AGP2x vintage and horribleness.

And I don't like any of VIA's chipsets. Keep em away. 😁