VOGONS

What is your dream computer?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 47, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

They sort of already do, some of the re-released LucasArts games on Steam will not work with ScummVM and only have a proprietary Windows port.

Reply 41 of 47, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i treid running dos games i bought in steam on my 98SE and i didn't get sound but, when i ran it WITH dosbox in 98se i got sound but, boy was it slow.

Reply 42 of 47, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My dream rig is to rebuild my first computer that died long ago.

Pentium 166mmx
ASUS P5A-B
Riva 128ZX
3dfx Vodoo 2
10gb Hard Drive
Windows 95
128mb PC100

This was my first PC I got it Christmas 1998 and loved it. It died in 2000 a very sad day, it had been upgraded to a K6-2 450 and a 30gb Hard Drive. But I had a friend over who while i was outside helping my dad opened it up to look inside, he claims he didnt touch anything but the computer never worked again, the board was dead 🙁

ive dreamed of rebuilding that rig since that day.

Reply 43 of 47, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:
My dream rig is to rebuild my first computer that died long ago. […]
Show full quote

Pentium 166mmx
ASUS P5A-B
Riva 128ZX
3dfx Vodoo 2
10gb Hard Drive
Windows 95
128mb PC100

This was my first PC I got it Christmas 1998 and loved it. It died in 2000 a very sad day, it had been upgraded to a K6-2 450 and a 30gb Hard Drive. But I had a friend over who while i was outside helping my dad opened it up to look inside, he claims he didnt touch anything but the computer never worked again, the board was dead 🙁

The parts you listed should be relatively easy to come by, so why don't you? 😉
I'd imagine the hardest part would be finding the exact same case though. That is, if you don't have it anymore

Reply 44 of 47, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:
My dream rig is to rebuild my first computer that died long ago. […]
Show full quote

Pentium 166mmx
ASUS P5A-B
Riva 128ZX
3dfx Vodoo 2
10gb Hard Drive
Windows 95
128mb PC100

The nice thing about the 166mhz Pentiums is that they overclock nicely. I actually had a 150 (which is really just a 166 on a slower bus) running at 200mhz for a long time using the stock fan. Some people have managed to get them in the 220-230 range but I was never that brave.

Reply 45 of 47, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Many of those chips didn't support multipliers over 2.5x though while others may have only the 3.5x multi disabled.
You'd be limited to fsb overclocking (not a problem on the P5A-B though 😁 )

Reply 46 of 47, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

A quad-core 486 120 with four turbo buttons, and the most powerful stablest floppy drives known to man. four of them. and a gus and a sb16 AND a sbpro *AND* as sb awe32 with a s3 trio64v+, voodoo2, dualbooting win2k and win98 and win95 and linux and macos 7...

wait that's ... pentabooting

OK, my dream PC (in retro context)

basically, a 1998 issue
PII-450
ASUS P2B
Creative Banshee AGP 16MB (that's what i had back then)
Creative Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond Monster Sound MX200
SB AWE32 CT3900
Ensoniq Soundscape
GUS ACE

... in an IBM Netfinity 3000/3500 casing (i want one in anodized black aluminum though), plus a Roland SC-55MkII. and a match-modded (in aluminum) HP LP-2065 IPS flat panel. No, make that a matching IBM P260 21" Trinitron FD CRT instead, but in pristine condition (fat chance)

Microsoft Precision Pro, Logitech Cyberman2 (Descent yeah!), Logitech WingMan Force 3D, all in thick aluminum 😜 , plus a period-correct ECCI racing sim kit (CDS-something)

😀

Reply 47 of 47, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PyroX wrote:

My dream computer would be a dual Z80/x86 (16-bits) CPU computer... so that I could also run old CP/M software... while enjoying the fruits of DOS...

I can run CP/M 1.0 in DOSBox so, supposedly, it could run on a DOS machine