What is your dream computer?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 47, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

if I had a holodeck I could have it all while not dealing with massive piles of old shit. How about that idea? 😉

If I had a holodeck, I'd have a lot less dorky hobby than collecting old computers. 😁

Reply 21 of 47, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Forgot another one I've been contemplating lately.
A Tualeron OC'ed to 133fsb and with DDR (Can find either non-tualatin DDR boards or Tualatin SDRAM boards but none with both)

Reply 22 of 47, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could go for the SuperMicro P3TDDR, it's a server board (so no AGP, unfortunately,) but it's dual-socket, with DDR and onboard SCSI RAID.

Then there is the MSI Pro266TD Master, also a server board, but with workstation trimmings. Dual-socket, DDR, AGP.

If you don't mind a single socket, the Gigabyte 6RX is a good choice, with onboard Creative Labs sound.

Finally, there's the Iwill DVD266u-RN. Dual Tualatins, DDR, AGP.

Reply 23 of 47, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PyroX wrote:

My dream computer would be a dual Z80/x86 (16-bits) CPU computer... so that I could also run old CP/M software... while enjoying the fruits of DOS...

I think that computing in the eighties was fun and fresh air while today people just don't know anything about their computers! I've seen people trash them just 'cause they had a virus and they thought their PROCESSOR had a virus... just my two cents...

So what is your dream computer?

That just agitates me. my dream machine would be an amd 6 core with 16gb ram raid 0 with some raptors for my os drive and a bunch of 1.5 tb drives for storage 2dvd drives one BD drvie and removable hdd bay. then 2 nice ati cards maybe you can do 2 dual core ati cards and maybe one of those big foot cards and a really nice sounds card i think the one i have now is pretty nice.

I do how still have my Texas ti99 and a bunch of freaking Sinclairs if any of you guys want a Sinclair please take a 1 off my hands i have box full of some Sinclair and ram carts and 80's computer books. i think i have 3 or 4 Timex Sinclair 1000 units.

Reply 24 of 47, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Freak wrote:
You could go for the SuperMicro P3TDDR, it's a server board (so no AGP, unfortunately,) but it's dual-socket, with DDR and onboa […]
Show full quote

You could go for the SuperMicro P3TDDR, it's a server board (so no AGP, unfortunately,) but it's dual-socket, with DDR and onboard SCSI RAID.

Then there is the MSI Pro266TD Master, also a server board, but with workstation trimmings. Dual-socket, DDR, AGP.

If you don't mind a single socket, the Gigabyte 6RX is a good choice, with onboard Creative Labs sound.

The Gigabyte 6RX doesn't support Tualatins so I guess I'd have to get a server board. I'm not looking for a dual setup atall btw. I reckon getting such a dual board won't be cheap also 🙁

Reply 25 of 47, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cdoublejj wrote:

That just agitates me. my dream machine would be an amd 6 core with 16gb ram raid 0 with some raptors for my os drive and a bunch of 1.5 tb drives for storage 2dvd drives one BD drvie and removable hdd bay. then 2 nice ati cards maybe you can do 2 dual core ati cards and maybe one of those big foot cards and a really nice sounds card i think the one i have now is pretty nice.

You see, I have to dream of old computers, because my current computers are:

PC: Core i7 975, 6 GB RAM, dual Raptors in RAID-0 for boot, Seagate 1 TB drive for storage, internal BD-reader/DVD writer, external HD-DVD reader, dual Radeon 4870X2. (Well, used to be dual 4870X2s, one died, so now I'm down to just one.)

Hackintosh: Dual Xeon W5570s, 12 GB RAM, 3x 15K RPM SAS drives (in a hot-swap bay) + 1 TB SATA drive, BD-writer/HD-DVD reader, GeForce 9600GT. Unfortunately, my hacked OS X won't boot from the SAS drives, nor does it support them in RAID mode, so I'm booting from the SATA drive, and the SAS drives are dedicated to certain uses: one for holding my VMs, one for video editing 'scratch' use (raw source and final videos go on an external 2 TB drive,) one for "assorted other" use. I'd put in a better video card, but I don't have any "spare" that have OS X support, and my redundant PSU doesn't have proper power outputs for the 4870X2. I have a 4850, but it's in my home theater PC. Although I really should get something lower power-use for the HTPC, and put the 4850 in my Hackintosh.

(Yes, I used to work at Intel. One of the perks of having worked there is being able to dig through the e-scrap dumpsters.)

Reply 26 of 47, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
Anonymous Freak wrote:
You could go for the SuperMicro P3TDDR, it's a server board (so no AGP, unfortunately,) but it's dual-socket, with DDR and onboa […]
Show full quote

The Gigabyte 6RX doesn't support Tualatins so I guess I'd have to get a server board. I'm not looking for a dual setup atall btw. I reckon getting such a dual board won't be cheap also 🙁

I was disappointed to find out the Abit VP6 I bought to hold a pair of 1.4ghz PIII's I had kicking around won't support them, so don't buy that board. It's awesome for dual Coppermines, though. Iwill made a dual PIII board around the same time of the VP6 that does support Tualatins but I have yet to see one for sale anywhere. Supermicro made one that's easier to find but you usually have to buy a complete server to get one which defeats the purpose if you have a bunch of parts that you want to use.

Reply 27 of 47, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For now I'll just have to make due with using SDRAM for those Tualatins. Haven't had time yet to build a Tualeron setup yet, too many plans and too little time 🤣!

Reply 28 of 47, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i had a board that did 2 tualatins and had agp but, it was nipped and only 1 cpu socket worked so i had to get a dual tualatin board with out agp.
it runs dual 1.4 tualatins and i think 1.7gb pc133 and 1xxgb ide drive. it's used as a call in board for skype calls.

Reply 29 of 47, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My dream computer(s) are still WIP:

PC 1:
DTK PRM-00801 mobo; a 440BX with 3 ISA slots
Pentium III Xeon (not yet acquired)
128 MB of system RAM
80GB hard drive (not yet acquired)
3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP
Diamond Monster 3D (Voodoo1; not yet acquired)
Diamond MonsterSound MX300
Creative Sound Blaster AWE32
Yamaha SW60XG
DOS/Win98SE dual boot

PC 2:
Soyo SY-845PE ISA (Pentium 4 mobo with ISA slots)
Pentium 4 Xeon (not yet acquired)
256 MB of system RAM
80GB hard drive (not yet acquired)
nVidia GeForce 6800GT AGP (need two more)
3dfx Voodoo5 5500 PCI Mac
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer (not yet acquired)
Diamond MonsterSound MX300
Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold
Yamaha SW60XG (need two more)
DOS/Win98SE dual boot

PC 3:
Still undecided. The goal is to make the fastest system that can still run WindowsXP, as well as running demanding DOS games in DOSBOX. I wonder whether I should choose a GeForce 7950 GX2 Quad-SLI platform, or using a dual Radeon 5970 Crossfire-X. Radeon 5970 is of course faster than GeForce 7950 GX2, but Radeons are notorious for incompatibility with older games. For example, Crimson Skies have annoying graphical glitches when running on my 4870 with FSAA. Thoughts?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 30 of 47, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Svenne wrote:

[..]
Motorola 68060 50 MHz @ 66 MHz, Cyberstorm PowerPC 233 MHz @ 300 MHz, 16 mb on-board RAM + 256 mb on PPC board + 512 mb on Zorro III, extra True-color (32-bit) video card, 3dfx Voodoo3 PCI, 16-bit soundcard, 20 GB HDD, AmigaOS 4.1/MorphOS/Windows NT 4.0 Workstation PPC.

I had the closest thing you can get in real life:

A4000D + CSPPC 233mz (060/50 ofcourse) coupled witth a G-Rex4000D that had a voodoo3, terratec512i soundcard, a 100mbps 8139 lancard and a scandoubler on the videoslot...
apart from being expensive, it only run OS3.9 awesome. MOS was slow, OS4 had no g-rex support ... 😵 😵 😵

I assume you know that now you can have up to 1GB of zorroIII fastram though 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 31 of 47, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:
I had the closest thing you can get in real life: […]
Show full quote
Svenne wrote:

[..]
Motorola 68060 50 MHz @ 66 MHz, Cyberstorm PowerPC 233 MHz @ 300 MHz, 16 mb on-board RAM + 256 mb on PPC board + 512 mb on Zorro III, extra True-color (32-bit) video card, 3dfx Voodoo3 PCI, 16-bit soundcard, 20 GB HDD, AmigaOS 4.1/MorphOS/Windows NT 4.0 Workstation PPC.

I had the closest thing you can get in real life:

A4000D + CSPPC 233mz (060/50 ofcourse) coupled witth a G-Rex4000D that had a voodoo3, terratec512i soundcard, a 100mbps 8139 lancard and a scandoubler on the videoslot...
apart from being expensive, it only run OS3.9 awesome. MOS was slow, OS4 had no g-rex support ... 😵 😵 😵

I assume you know that now you can have up to 1GB of zorroIII fastram though 😊

Too bad OS4 won't boot with the new ZIII ram cards 😜

Haven't used my CS PPC, A4000T machine for ages..plan to let that Stanislaw guy upgrade the PPC on it if it won't cost a fortune...or sell my PPC card and buy something I will have use for 😁

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 33 of 47, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣 WolverineDK , I (and I suppose Amigaz) have burned some ~1000+ euros there LOOOL
check out amibay.com if you like...

@Amigaz: mfilos did a 330mhz upgrade on his bppc, IIRC it did not cost much (http://amibay.com/showthread.php?t=5014) ... my friend I am amiga-free now , those thousands of euros have been invested in other things now 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 34 of 47, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Keropi

Still keep some Amiga computers since I'm still into retro gaming..would miss out on hundreds good games if I would dismiss the Amiga but I feel the whole PPC thing is a waste since there's not much useful you can do with a PPC card...plan to sell mine and the A4000T and buy a nice bike or something...or maybe an Xbox 360 + a new TV 😁

Reply 35 of 47, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WolverineDK wrote:

Amigaz, svenne, keropi:

check out this lovely site

http://www.amigakit.com/

Yep, bought some stuff from there during the years

Reply 36 of 47, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hopefully my dos/win98 build will be completed soon:

Pentium II 350 @ 233MHz (Changing to 266 @ 166MHz when I can find an unlocked chip)
Asus P2-99
128MB SDRAM
Matrox G200 AGP
3dfx Voodoo2 PCI
Matrox m3D (I'm still keeping it 🤣, nostalgia and all that)
1GB Compactflash (OS)
40GB IDE Hard drive (Games/ISO storage)
5 1/4 inch floppy drive
3 1/2 inch floppy drive
Some random CDROM I'll find lying around

I still need to find a sound card, but I do have a DB60XG daughterboard coming in the mail.
I'm hoping to get a dual boot freedos and win98 thing going 😀

It's not much, but it'll be nice to see some of my old hardware getting use again to play the games I bought off Steam.

Reply 39 of 47, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheLazy1 wrote:

Sorry, I should have mentioned DOS based games bought off steam.
Those are not bound to my account and can be copied freely.

Makes me wonder how difficult it is to put DRM in DOS applications...

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.