VOGONS

First post, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the time being, my 486 is completed. Based on a Shuttle HOT 409 V2.2 with 8 MB and an AMD 40 MHz 486 cpu, it uses an ISA ET4000, a SB16 CT-1740 DSP 4.04 and a DB60XG clone. I've followed various suggestions here and eliminated the old hard disk. I now use a 1 GB CF card in a back slot card holder. I can only use 503 MB on the card, but it only takes seconds to pull the card and move it to my other PCs. So file transfer and backup is simple and quick. Should the 503 MB ever run out, a second CF card should keep me going.

For the sake of compatibility, I pulled the 5.25 drive and replaced it with a DVD drive. I know that is sort of anachronistic, but I need a CD drive and I have a lot of software/utils stored on DVD as well.

The whole thing comes in a cute small Baby AT desktop case. The case is somewhat different. Lid and plastic are grey, but the entire front is covered with transparent black tinted plastic shields. They can be slided or opened to access turbo, reset and drives. Under the tinted plastic are lighted "turbo", "power", "40 MHz" writings.

All seems to be working. Since I am notoriously low on space (have a real life too), I consider trashing the old 200 MB and 2.5 GB HDDs.

I also have an S3 VLB card, but found some issues with it.

Reply 4 of 8, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ux-3 wrote:

For the sake of compatibility, I pulled the 5.25 drive and replaced it with a DVD drive. I know that is sort of anachronistic, but I need a CD drive and I have a lot of software/utils stored on DVD as well.

Does the data transfer rate suffer because you are using 486? I always wonder how much a media (CD, DVD, hard disk) speed affected by processor.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 5 of 8, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ux-3 wrote:

a SB16 CT-1740 DSP 4.04 and a DB60XG clone.

How does the Yamaha sound? Doesn't the SB16 limit the quality of the DB60XG output?

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 6 of 8, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pics: Can I upload a picture here somewhere?

When I was cloning the HDD to CF, Ghost 2003 (which I was using for the process) reported roughly 20 MB/min. I could try copying 100 MB from DVD to CF and time the process.

The old SB16 surely limits the yamaha (NEC actually) sound. But a CT-1740 is a very good match. All I need it for is compatibility checks. Most progs will work on the P2 rig or in dosbox. I haven't tried the Maesto 32/96 in it yet.

Reply 7 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ux-3 wrote:

I use photobucket. As hardly anyone else I know uses photobucket, I assume there are better options, but it works perfectly for me 😉

Reply 8 of 8, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ux-3 wrote:

When I was cloning the HDD to CF, Ghost 2003 (which I was using for the process) reported roughly 20 MB/min. I could try copying 100 MB from DVD to CF and time the process.

The old SB16 surely limits the yamaha (NEC actually) sound. But a CT-1740 is a very good match. All I need it for is compatibility checks. Most progs will work on the P2 rig or in dosbox. I haven't tried the Maesto 32/96 in it yet.

There's www.imagebam.com

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327