VOGONS

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

About a week ago, I decided that the old rig, which was cutting edge 5 years ago, was so long in the tooth that I needed a new computer. Not willing or able to spend the huge amount that I did the last time, I came up with the following:

Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield 2.93GHz 8MB L3 Cache
GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
LG Black 10X BD-ROM SATA Internal UH10LS20
Silvertone ST45SF 450W
Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 1GB
ASUS VW266H Black 25.5" Widescreen LCD Monitor

From my prior machine, I took the following:
IBM Model M Part No. 1390131
Creative Labs Gigaworks S750 7.1 Speakers
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
Logitech LX8 Cordless Laser Mouse
Roland UM-1X USB interface

Windows 7 Home Premium Retail

Things I have learned in this install:

Lian Li cases require a degree of intuition. This are not always obvious. It is a very good case, however, it requires 6-screws to take off a panel. The right panel also supports the motherboard. The front audio connectors are not the tightest.

This case requires disciplined cable management. There is not a lot of room and three very exposed fans. You don't want small wires to fall within the path of the blades. Get some twisties, they work well.

Do not plug anything into the USB 3.0 ports until you have fully installed the motherboard drivers. The USB 3.0 controller is a separate NEC chip.

My Blu-ray drive came with PowerDVD 8, which is sufficient for Blu-ray playback, except for 3-D Blu-ray discs. The audio codec on the motherboard is the ALC892, which supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio. The Geforce GTX 460 is the first nVidia card that can also support these codecs without downsampling. The monitor can support HDCP over DVI, and also has an HDMI port. However, PowerDVD would give blue screens when playing Blu-rays until I updated to the beta 460 drivers.

I could have saved some money by buying a Core i5 and took advantage of the integrated Intel HD graphics for HD content, but I would also like to play games like Starcraft II and Dragon Age: Origins at a decent resolution, features and framerate.

I purchased the retail version of Windows 7 in order to have 32-bit and 64-bit installations. I grabbed the 320GB drive out of the old system (the newest drive in the old system), for the 32-bit version. The 32-bit version of Windows 7 seems a lot more compatible than the 64-bit version with older games and such. However, only 3.46GB of my 8GM is useable in 32-bit, so it is not really forward thinking. While I could have purchased Windows 7 Professional OEM for a little less money, Windows 7 32-bit is alot more useful. (System Shock 2 works perfectly with very little effort).

The monitor has a native 1920x1200 resolution. I cannot go to 16:9 monitors just yet.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 1 of 7, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hell, buddy... Even my 3 years old PC (which was decent when I got it, not cutting edge) played Starcraft II with all the bells&whistles&eye candy @1680x1050 on my cheap 22" LCD. Dragon Age: Origins plays at a decent framerate, my Radeon HD3650 can still cut the mustard; So far it seems I am more CPU bound than GPU, since I have 100% usage when I play DA: O.
This is my rig, would have get a new one, but I am very cash strapped atm:
ASUS Vento A8 chassis, Raptoxx RT-600PSP 600W power supply, ASRock ALive NF7G-HDready mobo, Athlon x2 4200+, 3 Gb DDR2 800, 500 Gb WD Green+1 Tb Samsung, both SATA II, ASUS SATA DVD-WR, ASUS EAH3650 TOP (factory overclocked).
Cheap 22" LCD (local brand, the cheapest I could find with DVI; I am not sorry for getting it, since the image quality is almost as good as my cousin's LG, which is a 20" and costed 50% more), old no name 2.0 speakers which I found at flea market (guess what, I knew what I was buying, they have excellent quality and enough power), A4 Tech KBS-21 multimedia ergonomical kbd and Trust MI-2950R hamster.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 2 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks good!

However the timing is interesting, seeing Intels Sandy Bridge launches next month and boards and cpu are already up for sale here in Australia...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Looks good!

However the timing is interesting, seeing Intels Sandy Bridge launches next month and boards and cpu are already up for sale here in Australia...

Problem with buying a new computer is, theres always a reason to delay buying it as some part is bound to cheaper very soon.

I wanted my 1st computer to be a Pentium 1-120 and ended up buying a P2-350 like 2 years later...and 2 weeks after I finally got it, Intel released Katmai! 😜

Reply 4 of 7, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I definitely look forward to building my next computer based on the new Sandy Bridge chipset, probably in the 2nd half of next year, since that is when Intel will release the enthusiast CPUs.

Reply 5 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm very content with the rig I build early this year. Phenom 2 3.2Ghz, 4GB DDR3-1333, 1TB 2 platter harddisk, HD5670 1GB and Windows 7. And it cost me under €700 to build 😀.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 7, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You should've bought three memory modules instead, since the i7 suppots tripple-channel.

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 7 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Svenne wrote:

You should've bought three memory modules instead, since the i7 suppots tripple-channel.

He has a Lynnfield CPU. These are dual channel only...

i7 <> i7 in Intels world 🤣