VOGONS

First post, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, not just a "well I patched it and it says that it can use more than 4GB now.. I actually got a memory allocation tool and started multiple instances (since of course 32-bit apps can only allocate 2GB in a go unless I tweak that, but I have no need) to take up about 90% of my RAM.

As I'm sure many of you are aware, this is possible due to PAE. Microsoft disabled the capability (even in it's own PAE kernel) so it has to be patched in order to perform tests like this.

The reason I care, rather than using the copy of Windows 7 x64 I also own, is that I can run NTVDM with x86 Windows 7, whereas in x64 I am restricted to only DOSBox, limiting my capability to interact with hardware from DOS applications (floppy writing, for one, as I mentioned recently in another thread).

Anywho if anybody has questions or wants more details feel free to ask.

See here:

paeftw.th.png

Or the attachment--V

Attachments

• Filename
    PAEFTW.png
    File size
    287.03 KiB
    Downloads
    384 downloads
    File comment
    Proof! :O
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 4, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's called "Physical Address Extensions", or "PAE", and has been around since Windows 2000 as a way to allow for more than 4 GB of RAM usage in a 32-bit OS. Obviously, it requires hardware support, which was first introduced with the Pentium Pro.

The "home" editions of the various OSes haven't had this, but the "Business"/"Professional" ones have.

Essentially, an individual process is still limited to 2 GB, but you can have more than 4 GB in use in total. The hard limit varies by OS/edition. Windows Server 2003 Datacenter can support 128 GB, while Windows Server 2003 Webserver can only support 2 GB!

What is odd is that Microsoft claims that Windows 7 Professional 32-bit only supports 4 GB.... msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx

I wonder if you're actually paging out a lot of that, and while Win7 will claim to have more than 4 GB on a >4GB system, it won't actually use the physical RAM, but will virtually allocate and use paging as necessary?

Reply 4 of 4, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another trick folks have used for 32-bit OS's is to convert some or all of that unused physical ram into a RAM Drive, move the paging file and temp folders over to it and use it for other things like this.

Ideally it's still best to have a 64-bit OS and to use the /largaddressaware switch for those 32-bit apps you want to utilize a full 4GB under a 64-bit OS.

No matter where you go, there you are...