User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Motherboard : ASUS ISA-486SV2 Rev. 3.1.

The urge was too great to just let it stay in the store room.. 😁

Started getting down and dirty...
dsc00632e.jpg
Familiar sights? Hehehe... (I was shocked when I turned around after getting some stuff from another room - was literally surrounded with classic pc parts.)

This casing does not have the turbo button, which I crave so much!
Found another front-end panel with the switches from another old casing.
dsc00633o.jpg
Luckily I managed to fix it at the 3.5" FDD bay.

Extensive cooling for a 486? I'm just obsessed with it 😁. Always wanted to cool the inner parts. Again, I have selected each fan with low noise. And I also selected the 486 cpu with attached fanless heatsink. Usually the little cpu fans are very much noisy.
dsc00634l.jpg

dsc00635h0.jpg
After much consideration, I finally stuck with the CT1320 with C/MS chips, plus the MPU-IPC-T. (My P133 already has AWE32 for other needs.)

The finished setup :

dsc00637m.jpg
By this time, I was too tired already. 😁 Very demanding and tiresome, but ultimately rewarding (or ultimately frustrating, if something goes wrong! 😁).

EDIT:

Both systems share the LCD monitor and the same keyboard via KVM switch. Each has it's own mouse - P133 with Logitech 3-Button Serial-PS/2 combo and the 486 with Microsoft Serial-PS/2 combo mouse.

1. 486

ASUS ISA-486SV2 Rev.3.1
8MB 30-pin SIMMS (8x1MB)
i486DX2-66
Hercules Dynamite ET4000 1MB
Sound Blaster 1.5 CT1320 with C/MS Chips
Roland MPU-IPC-T ----> Roland MT-32
Teac Combo HD Floppy Drive
Matsushita CR-583 8X CD-ROM Drive
Fujitsu 5.2GB HDD with Smart Boot Manager

2. Pentium 133

UNICO VE-501 Pentium Motherboard
Intel Pentium 133 P54C
128MB FPM RAM
Teac 5.25" HD FDD
Sony 3.5" HD FDD
Maxtor 80GB HDD with various partitions and Smart Boot Manager
Lite-ON DVD+RW with TEAC_CDI.SYS, spinning at 4X speed.
Sound Blaster AWE32 CT2760 with Wave Blaster
Music Quest PC MIDI Card -----> Roland CM-500
Gravis Eliminator Gamecard -----> CH Pro Throttle + CH Jane's CombatStick

Audio signals from both systems are mixed by the ART Pro Mixer III (pictured on top of the CM-500).

Both have my favourite Turbo Buttons and both can run ICD & ICE.

Last edited by Malik on 2010-12-07, 09:03. Edited 1 time in total.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 1 of 3, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awesome!

You setup is sooo neat and ready for gaming action. Impressive. Also love the choice of hardware. 1.5 and MT-32 for the 486 and AWE32 and CM500 for the Pentium...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 3, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice!! I like the slot cooler you put in there ;D
Are those slot coolers doing a good job at being -silent- btw?
And I agree, those little fans are always too loud for me, I also try to -somehow- attach a big 'n cheap case fan near the cpu heatsink 😉

If your socket has those little tabs (can't tell for sure from your pic) you could attach a large P1-style passive heatsink 😉
I'll go look up a pic of one of those metal clips I use in such cases...

Edit: Heres such a clip, with a (smallish) heatsink attached to it.
Metalcpuclip.png

Edit2: And I like how your 2 AT cases look so clean! Hardly any yellow to speak of 😉

Reply 3 of 3, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep, those coolers are all (relatively) quiet. I have a few slot coolers and I picked the ones which didn't have any mechanical interference (sometimes the plastic adhesions in-between one surface to another has a slit letting out the air causing some deep humming noise, and sometimes if the slit is small enough, causes a high pitched noise).

I placed my hand just above the heatsink to see if ther is any airflow at that area - and was glad to find there is good air movement. The top, thin, cooler master fan provides the overhead wind for the cpu.

All these measures will be hampered when I close the case. My only salvation are the pores over the front of the casing, (below the black led slit in the second picture - look more like a case design, but actually pores when seen from below) - which provide air entry to the front fan, which sucks in the air.

Only the PSU fan seems to have a few dB higher than the other fans.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers