VOGONS

First post, by haker305

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everybody!

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1614283

I'm Michael, I'm sixteen and I'm from Poland. About 2 months ago, on polish eBay equivalent called Allegro, I've found an interesting MoBo. It was some kind of nice platform for new rig of mine. MoBo was named GigaByte GA-6VTXD. With suggestion of my bro (udam_u on Vogons registered), I decided to buy this. For my thin pocket it was real nice amount of money - bidding end up on 102,50PLN (about 25$), with me as a winner!
Afterwards, I was thinking a lot before going to sleep about this platform. I've had in the past Abit BP6 rig, and I was really satisfacted - before parents bought me Asus EeePC 1000H and I was using it ONLY for 2 years (yeah, now I realized that this netbook used as main computer was destroying my eyes). GA-6VTXD is dual PIII Tualatin MoBo, with Via Apollo Pro chipset, it has as well AGP 4X. I didn't have more money, too! But, I believed in completing my rig in maximum time of one month.
One day, when going to school, I've looked through my window and saw that my neighbour have placed some PC near him trash! After quicky going out, and taking this heavy crap to my house (and being late for school), I've must go on bus. After coming back from school, I've taken a look with my bro inside. Stuff we found inside was really cool for me!

- Some GigaByte MoBo with P4 (broken - we've tested),
- Seagate Cheetah 10k 36GB with Adaptec controller!
- Really nice case.

We decided to use HDD and case for my new rig. When MoBo arrived, I've purchasen two Tualatins 1,4GHz on Allegro, for 29PLN (so about 7$) for one. Then, again, I hadn't money! But my rig was near completed - we found some coolers in garage, so basically it was ready to go. But I still hadn't any monitor for this.
On Sunday, we went to market not far from my house. Here we bought 18" NEC MultiSync 1280x1024 LCD for 40PLN! (so 10$!). It is fully working! I was really happy with it. My Rig was completed! On Monday, I've bought Radeon 9600PRO 256MB from my friend for 20PLN (5$), and we found some SDRAM's, DVD-writer, and SCSI CD-ROM in garage.
So, this is my final specification:

- Gigabyte GA-6VTXD motherboard.
- Dual P!!! Tualatin 1,4GHz processors (512KB cache).
- 1GB of RAM.
- Seagate Cheetah 36GB + Adaptec controller.
- Pioneer IDE DVD writer and Plextor CD-ROM on SCSI bus.
- ATI Radeon 9600PRO 256MB.
- SB Audigy 1 + kX drivers!
- 3com 3C905C-TX Ethernet card.
- Crappy&old Creative A200 speakers.

Now, you will probably ask - hey, what the flip are you showing us, this isn't an old nice 90's rig! But my target wasn't building completely old PC. I've decided to make completely highend PC of 2001. The only one thing, that don't complain with this year is mine Radeon - but don't worry, I will replace it with some real nice GF4Ti 4600 😀.

img0492t.th.jpg img0490t.th.jpg img0489s.th.jpg
1614283.th.png yyyl.th.gif

With regards from Poland,
/haker305

Reply 2 of 21, by haker305

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes I have 4600Ti but it's unfortunately broken 🙁. I bought it for a price as crap (10PLN) on Allegro, it was working for 4 days and then artifacts showed up.

I'm going to buy someday a Quadro 900XGL, I think it's high-end card for this system year 😀.

Reply 5 of 21, by Alphakilo470

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

^Sigh... I was supposed to be playing Duke Nukem Forever before I was even a teenager and now I'm mid-20s.

@haker, that's a nice looking computer. I'm sure that configuration would have cost more than a decent used car back in 2001. That Radeon you have should be sufficient for Aero if you decided to try Vista or Win 7. My last Pentium III system was a ThinkPad T23 which had a 1.13ghz Tualatin chip and I ran Vista on that and with the exception of graphics performance, everything was just as responsive as with XP.

Reply 6 of 21, by haker305

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Whoa, just bought Gainward Bliss 7900GS 512MB Golden Sample for AGP, for 100PLN (25dollars) 😀 With this GPU, I'm going to test some newer games like Oblivion - in destination this PC will propably have oldschool Ti4600 and I'll give 7900GS to my brother dual Athlon MP rig (udam_u Vogons registered) 😀.

Reply 7 of 21, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice setup, love hearing about other P3 builds. I'd love to find some Dual Tualatin mobo on the cheap as I have more than enough PIII-S 1.4GHz now!

I won a lot of 10 P3-S 1.4GHz w/bent pins on ebay for $22 Shipped. I just got them friday and the seller sent 12! Most of them barely have bent pins at all! So now I have 14x P3-S 1.4GHz in total. Might also Pin-mod a few to work with other chipsets 😀

I also use a Ti4600+V2 12mb's in SLI in one of my Tualatin machines, I'm still wondering what can max that card out. The other build uses a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 8 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

Nice setup, love hearing about other P3 builds. I'd love to find some Dual Tualatin mobo on the cheap as I have more than enough PIII-S 1.4GHz now!

I won a lot of 10 P3-S 1.4GHz w/bent pins on ebay for $22 Shipped. I just got them friday and the seller sent 12! Most of them barely have bent pins at all! So now I have 14x P3-S 1.4GHz in total. Might also Pin-mod a few to work with other chipsets 😀

I also use a Ti4600+V2 12mb's in SLI in one of my Tualatin machines, I'm still wondering what can max that card out. The other build uses a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP.

Just be careful when bending them back. These pins break very easilly compared to the PPGA pins and earlier.
These P3s 1400's are going real cheap nowdays...now if only the same could be said about the mobo's...
It seems much harder to find Tualatins non-s 🤣!

Reply 9 of 21, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think all of the P3 servers must be finally being retired and that's the cause of the cheap Tualatin influx....

Obviously those servers weren't using the motherboards we would want though so those aren't showing up en masse. Although I think an i840 mobo would be nice to have compared to the 512MB-limit 815 stuff. It's also too bad that the 830 chipset was notebook only because it supports 1GB.

Reply 10 of 21, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

I think all of the P3 servers must be finally being retired and that's the cause of the cheap Tualatin influx....

Obviously those servers weren't using the motherboards we would want though so those aren't showing up en masse. Although I think an i840 mobo would be nice to have compared to the 512MB-limit 815 stuff. It's also too bad that the 830 chipset was notebook only because it supports 1GB.

VIA 694T is the solution. Over here we rarely used any Intel chipsets for P III's past year 2000. Thus, all the old available Socket 370 mobos are VIA chipsets. Currently, my S370 rig is using a Soyo 7VBA133U with 694T/696B northbridge/ southbridge and supports a max of 1.5gb ram (high density no problem). It also has AGP 4x and sockets for front usb headers. Max fsb I've been able to boot this board to is 153mhz- though this may be cpu limited as I've heard others exceeding 160mhz.

Reply 11 of 21, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VIA 694T is the solution. Over here we rarely used any Intel chipsets for P III's past year 2000.

Except, I think many of us would consider the Via Apollo to be more a problem than a solution. The Via boards became more common than Intel chipsets over here, too, but I think it was more due to cost rather than any technical merits of the things. While I don't consider the Via boards to be quite as bad as they're often made out to be, there is definitely good reason for their poor reputation.

Reply 12 of 21, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

VIA 694T is the solution. Over here we rarely used any Intel chipsets for P III's past year 2000.

Except, I think many of us would consider the Via Apollo to be more a problem than a solution. The Via boards became more common than Intel chipsets over here, too, but I think it was more due to cost rather than any technical merits of the things. While I don't consider the Via boards to be quite as bad as they're often made out to be, there is definitely good reason for their poor reputation.

There was also a SiS solution. The Via 694T was higher production than the 815EP B-step it seems as I have only found a few boards equipped it. Add the issue of the Tualatin being overshadowed by the Pentium 4 on purpose by intel which means very short production of Tualatin capable boards. I'm more confused why they choose to make it incompatible with older chipsets as modders have proven it is capable to make them work.

I now have 2 Via 694T and one of them I have gotten working now (have caps to do on the other one now) and a broken 815EP B-step that won't POST even with a new BIOS chip installed.

I did find some interesting info about the Northbridge and Southbridge that the 815 supposedly implemented that Via didn't copy until the KT333 chipset and V-Link. Can't find the info on it again to make sure which chipsets got it.

Reply 13 of 21, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

After owning a fair number of these boards, some were poorly executed - yes.

But there are quite a few gems too, with capabilities outstripping most Intel boards. I can think of 3 boards in my possession alone that fit the bill - the Aopen AX33, MSI 6309 and previously mentioned Soyo 7VBA133U. All take up to 1.5gb ram, have AGP 4x and overclock at least to the 138-150mhz region.

Maybe the bad rep due to them was people comparing high end INtel baords against budget VIA boards? I dunno. I'd say most of the VIA's I've seen are better than budget INtel chipsets like the 810 😜

Reply 14 of 21, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The VIA boards of those times tend to have major problems with PCI performance and even AGP compliance to varying degrees. I've seen it first hand. Some boards are far worse than others though.

The PCI performance problems show up with hardware-accelerated sound cards that require reliable bus latency and with RAID cards that suffer when the bus bandwidth is subpar. Believe it or not but the problems were often poorly programmed BIOSs and they could be mostly remedied by reprogramming chipset registers (look up the PCI Latency Patch).

So part of VIA's problem was that the companies that implemented their chipsets tended to build low quality boards. I've been wondering if Intel and NVIDIA provide better implementation support.

One thing I remember when I went to nForce2 was how much more responsive the whole system felt than my KT266A board... I'm sure a lot of that came down to the superior NV memory and IDE controllers.

If 815 had just not had that 512MB limit it would've been an absolutely unbeatable chipset. There is nothing else disappointing about it and my P3 1400 sys feels incredibly responsive overall. It is without a doubt superior to 440BX (less quirky).

Reply 15 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

If 815 had just not had that 512MB limit it would've been an absolutely unbeatable chipset. There is nothing else disappointing about it and my P3 1400 sys feels incredibly responsive overall. It is without a doubt superior to 440BX (less quirky).

I have to say, I like the i815 chipset a LOT, but the 512MB limit really 'kills' it.
Imo it's exactly this limit which make the 694T boards very much worth considering, along with it's support for higher density chips.

There's also the 'Apollo Pro 266', which looks even more interesting for me, nice for having a board to put my spare crappy DDR ram into 😁

Reply 16 of 21, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well the thing is when I need more than 512MB, I start thinking about the nForce 2 AthlonXP that I could throw together, or the VIA K8T800 board + Athlon 64 + AGP that I now have too 🤣

Or even that I could put a 440BX machine together with 768MB with 3x256 DIMMs.. (Hell a K6 for that matter too)

I don't need to buy more retrojunk!!! 😁

BTW I recently blew up my 865PE + P4 3.2 + 6800GT box. The AGP card slid out of the slot partway while on and it lit up with a short!!!!!! Ooops!!!!! At least it was that 6800GT and not my treasured 5950 Ultra!! 😉 I enjoy seeing how badly a GF5 runs games.

Reply 17 of 21, by haker305

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I think that Via Apollo Pro present in my MoBo is real good chipset as for PIII Tualatin. It supports AGP4x, 1,5GB of RAM, so I don't need anything else 😀. Also, it runs nicely with Linux - for example, my bro MoBo MSI K7D Master based on AMD760MPX have some bug with IDE subsystem on newer kernels.
On some motherboards, VIA chipsets aren't performing the best, but they are definitely most flexible chipsets for PIII. For example, you can set asynchronous DRAM/FSB clocks etc. .
A few days ago I've installed BFG GF6800GS borrowed from my brother. I've said before that I bought 7900GS for AGP - but seller sent me card with artifacts, BTW he was 12 😀, so it wasn't serious business. Hopefully, I didn't sent him money before I checked if card's working.
Also, I've discovered that my CPUs runs at different steppings! Based on Linux /proc/cpuinfo, CPU no1 has stepping 1, while other stepping 4 😀. Strange thing, but it's running very stable.

Reply 18 of 21, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:
The VIA boards of those times tend to have major problems with PCI performance and even AGP compliance to varying degrees. I've […]
Show full quote

The VIA boards of those times tend to have major problems with PCI performance and even AGP compliance to varying degrees. I've seen it first hand. Some boards are far worse than others though.

The PCI performance problems show up with hardware-accelerated sound cards that require reliable bus latency and with RAID cards that suffer when the bus bandwidth is subpar. Believe it or not but the problems were often poorly programmed BIOSs and they could be mostly remedied by reprogramming chipset registers (look up the PCI Latency Patch).

So part of VIA's problem was that the companies that implemented their chipsets tended to build low quality boards. I've been wondering if Intel and NVIDIA provide better implementation support.

One thing I remember when I went to nForce2 was how much more responsive the whole system felt than my KT266A board... I'm sure a lot of that came down to the superior NV memory and IDE controllers.

Ahhh, I think I get your hate for the Via chipsets now 😁

Just stumbled across the PCI latency patch last night, I have the last beta .20beta21 that acually causes issues when installed on my Gigabyte GA-6VTXE (Pro133T). I'm gonna try the .19 set next. I also see Via's official attempt which looks like 1.01 and 1.04 (can't find 1.04 for download, gotta a link?) and dunno which one is better to run or if I should even be trying it. I don't use raid but 2x Voodoo2 12mbs in SLI, would it help them out? Also USB2.0 card and a PCI Nic.

As for the 815EP B-step boards, is it really worth it to run them? My ASUS TUSL2-C won't post and found another one but don't really care for the price as I now have 2 Pro133T boards. Also 512mb really only kills you when going for win2k-winXP. Windows98se works great on 512mb.

Reply 19 of 21, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I once worked on a VIA Apollo Slot 1 board that had such horrible PCI operation that I literally could not get a SBLive to function at all. No exaggeration here. It would not put out a clear sound. But then I installed that PCI Latency Patch and it started to work fine. 😀

As for the 815 boards well they aren't THAT exciting. I bought one because I'd never used one (got the TUSL2-C myself). But if you are happy with your VIA boards I wouldn't bother to spend the money on a 512MB gimped 815. It's hard for me to deal with the fact that my old 440BX mobo can out-equip the newer 815 board. But that 815 sure feels faster than my 440BX....until it starts swapping!