VOGONS

First post, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, wife and I moved into a new apartment with space enough to dedicate to setting up "superfluous" machines. I pulled out my Win98 rig and plugged it in via VGA to our LG 32LD450 TV for use as a monitor. (This model line has amazing cred as a monitor) All was good until I got into Windows. Major noise on the screen. I tried a couple of different VGA cables but all had the same problem so I had to consign myself to having to give up the GeForce4 MX 4000 I had in the machine. I tried all of the other available cards I had in my bins and the one with the least noticable noise was a Vanta TNT2/M64 (MSI-8808 specifically). I've dropped down a couple of generations in graphics power but at least I have a screen picture that doesn't kill my eyes to look at it.

So, thinking about this, I started to ask myself if the machine as a whole was what I wanted to fulfill the needs I have and via random link chasing I started to look up the release dates for all the parts in the machine. Surprisingly, to my uneducated self, I discovered that the release dates for the main components were within about 6 months or so of each other. All the parts range from about mid '99 to mid '00. So, I find myself with a complementary system.

The specs are:
Asus P3V133
Coppermine P3 933/256k/133fsb/1.7v Slot 1
512mb pc133
MSI-8808 Vanta TNT2/M64 32mb, AGP
Sound Blaster Live! (CT-4760)

These parts are for a dedicated Win98 setup. Some of the games I use it for are Quake II (which ran smoothly at 1024x768x32 with everything maxxed except for AA and T&L which were off), Journeyman 2, MS Combat Flight Sims 1/2...well, I guess nothing TOO taxing so far but we'll see what else I find.

Question 1 is: How far beyond games of early '00 can I expect to play with this setup? What is about the limit of what I'd want to push this machine with?

I'm also thinking that since this video card is the oldest component, maybe a card from a little later, maybe mid 00 to match the p3 would be a better bet. Assuming I can find one that isn't noisy like the others I have. Perhaps a Geforce2 or early Radeon? With this boost of graphics ability, how much would that extend my gaming reach according to the question above?

I have dosbox running beautifully on my latest model iMac so most of the DOS games I can think of are fully covered. I would like to dual boot this system (from a second hard drive) to run the DOS games that don't run well in dosbox. I'm thinking of games like Falcon 3.0, A Final Unity, some of the later SVGA Dos games that just don't run smoothly enough under dobox yet.

I have a Stealth 3d 2000 Pro that I was going to add in as a second vid card for pure dos use. I've been told here that I should get awesome compatibility with that, if not outright speed. I'm thinking of finding a voodoo 2 to tack onto that, maybe one of those single card SLI deals I see here and there. That'll help with adding Glide games to the Windows side as well.

Question 2: What's a good ISA sound card for maximum compatibility for DOS? I was thinking maybe an AWE32 or 64, or should I go for a real SB16? How about music cards? I have 2 free PCI and 3 empty ISA slots to use so I can dedicate all of the ISA to dos sound use.

All advice is appreciated.

**Edit**

Actually, the TNT2 I have should be aswesome for DOS though shouldn't it? Maybe I can skip adding the Stealth and just tack on a voodoo or something and keep the video needs simple?

Reply 1 of 7, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a very similarly specced machine to yours- 1ghz coppermine, VIA 694A mobo, 768mb ram- all period correct. That M64 is a mismatch for a fast P3 processor and will severely limit it's gaming ability. With that card you will be limited to titles from '99 and some less demanding ones from '00 (Diablo 2 and such). You will not be able to play many games from '01 at anything beyond low settings- think Max Payne, B&W, Empire Earth.

As to how far you can go with such a setup, it depends on the settings you play with too- for me I try to max everything out. With a GF3 on my rig I've played GTA III (2002), Max Payne 2 (2003) and Sid Meier's Pirates (2004) all smoothly at 1024x768. I personally stick to 2001 titles as the limit for my P3 rig- but some 2002 games play acceptably well on it too.

Reply 2 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I still think it's odd for your monitor to behave in such a way.
Are your electronics hooked to a grounded wall outlet?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 7, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using a shuttle for my Windows 98 machine and had a very similar issue with a lot of noise that I assumed to be from the giant CPU cooler in the shuttle in close proximity to the 3d card.

Anyways what I did was to get a video board that did DVI out, then slapped a DVI to VGA converter on the outside of the box. Took care of the problem, I believe because everything was digital till I exited the case and converted back to analog where no interference could take place.

Anyways it worked for me, something you might try too especially since a ti4200 would be a great card for that box.

Reply 5 of 7, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, that's almost exactly what I was thinking at this point. I can find a Geforce 4 card, non-mx this time, and connect it via DVI->HDMI adapter to the TV. Digital the whole way and avoid the noise altogether.

So, if I pick up one of these, what's the DOS performance going to be like?

Reply 6 of 7, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think there will be an issue with DOS performance for running a ti4x00 but perhaps thats a question for other users on this forum.

What I can tell you is to be careful with using DVI -> HDMI. You've got to make sure you TV supports computer resolutions through the HDMI otherwise you'll end up for a black screen when attempting to run anything other than a 720p or 1080p through it.

I had a Bravia XBR 2 and it could only accept HDTV resolutions through the HDMI, computers had to go through the VGA if you wanted to be able to use any resolution (important for vintage games). Years later the Bravia series now accepts non HDTV resolutions through the HDMI port but I don't really know how common this is for different manufacturers sets. Just make sure to check that out before you go that route, otherwise you'll have to DVI -> VGA it.

Reply 7 of 7, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just checked the manual for the TV and it accepts all resolutions over either RGB or HDMI so I'm set analog or digital. Now I just have to win a card on ebay or something that isn't priced at 300 bucks. Ridiculous.