VOGONS

First post, by beepfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's what I've put together so far, really just for playing quake 1-3 but maybe a few old dos games too. The wildcat card seems pretty good so far - I was reminded of this card by a post someone made here, it's not a gaming card but it does glquake smoothly at 1600x1200 when my other cards [even a ti4600] cause crashes. Demo1 runs at 75fps in version 0.97. I guess being a mid-range workstation opengl card it's a bit more compatible than a gaming card.

Celeron 1ghz [Edit: now Tualatin 1.4ghz]
Chaintech 6VIA5T with 256mb ram running 98SE
Wildcat VP870 agp card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
Yamaha SW60XG

The only upgrade I have planned is a 1.4ghz tualatin, since it looks like that should fit. [Edit: now done].

Last edited by beepfish on 2011-03-31, 15:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 1, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the s370 Celerons are not that bad for a retro rig. Even though I personally rate the s370 post-PPGA Celerons as a somewhat significantly lesser choice, they can still hold their own. I have (had) 2 retro rigs with s370 Celerons, one 400Mhz (atm non-functional due to it being in pieces after a messy attempt at changing some hardware around) and a Celeron 800.
Even though the similar speed P3's are a lot better, the Celerons have the benefit of having a pretty high CPU clock on a lower FSB. There are P3's available for the 100Mhz FSB, but those are harder to find.
In my opinion, it's the >750Mhz P3's that are worthwhile to get. If you ever need a 750Mhz 100FSB P3, just take one of the common 1Ghz chips and underclock it 😉

I think the post PPGA Celerons are overall about 30% slower compared to their bigger P3 brothers while having about the same power consumption.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!