Quite a SCI-FI thing

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

I think a laptop of a girth of even over one half an inch would raise suspicion nowadays 🙁 The DOS on a plane days are over, because when you're at C:\>, you're HACKING

WTF ? are you serious being at C:> is considered "hacking" , Jesus some people have all the "fun"/paranoia.

BigBodZod wrote:

I'm sure here in the states the TSA thinks so 😜

Anything other then a GUI is hacking for security sake 😢

I wonder how that would come over if you are using DOSBOX on you Netbook to play a classic title or something...

Oh yeah the TSA, what a bunch of douchebags. They can go fuck themselves.

Reply 21 of 30, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BigBodZod wrote:
I'm sure here in the states the TSA thinks so :pppt: […]
Show full quote
Shodan486 wrote:
leileilol wrote:

The DOS on a plane days are over, because when you're at C:\>, you're HACKING

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING!?!?! Now there is an official statement about this or what???

I'm sure here in the states the TSA thinks so 😜

Anything other then a GUI is hacking for security sake 😢

I wonder how that would come over if you are using DOSBOX on you Netbook to play a classic title or something...

I used DosBox to play Seek and Destroy on my laptop once on an international flight. No one gave me crap about it though, since I had an icon set up for it on my desktop, and therefore never had to use the command line.

Reply 22 of 30, by Keatah

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is an application that would fit this machine perfectly.
http://www.acme-nuclear.com/
and
gamtech.com/oakflat.aspx

If you're not into nuclear power plants; perhaps SAM's are your cup of tea
http://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home

All free to download and use.

BTW:
The laptop is basically a wan protocol analyzer hp/agilent test equip.
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=j2 … 0e1d04ac32ef934

Reply 23 of 30, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK guys, now I've got a huge responsibility to perform this task, but it seems I'll need some retro assistance here!

I've got to backup the software that's in it, which is, of course, proprietary as hell. No way you can search for it or don't know what, these units were built at one place and the installation of the whole setup (OS, software, drivers) was done at the other. Then the whole unit was disassemblied, the drive put in, and assemblied back again - > thus it is crucial to backup such data.

Since I've got a win98 EE on it, FAT32 gives me the limit of 4GB file, thus can't image my 5,5GB partition (primary). I've already copied the root on three drives, but I need a perfect copy of the drive. So far the Roadkil's Disk image works pretty well in Win9x environment, I also discovered Raw Copy program that does something like the diskcopy command in DOS shell, which (for now) is the only option for me, that seems fulfilling its purpose.

I've got various PCMCIA adapters (USB, LAN, PATA CDROM), but I cannot get it successfully working, I've tried various drivers, from OAK through various ATAPI ones, but it seems that the theory of purpose of things such as ''Socket Services'' & ''Card Services'' eludes me, or let's say I was able to get my PCMCIA to get initialized (the CDROM only), even the driver ''appeared'' to be able to work with the device, but prompting dir command on it gives me ''device not ready'' sort of error.

This stuff relates to portable devices, notebooks mainly of the 90's, so I hope there is somebody still alive with experience with this 😀.

MOBO: PVI-486SP3 Rev 1.2
CPU: POD-83
RAM: 2x16MB
VIDEO: Matrox Millenium 2MB/Voodoo2 12MB/Video Blaster VT300
AUDIO: SB Vibra16 FM
SCSI: 72GB 15k RPM HDD/YAMAHA CD-RW 16x/ZIP drive + FDD drive
NIC: 3Com Etherlink III
PSU: 230W Generic

Reply 24 of 30, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to work setting up multiple computer classes with a friend. We used Acronis Disk Manager and USB HDD or LAN.

Is it possible to boot from a flash drive and upload an image of your HDD to your main PC?

Reply 25 of 30, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Surely you can tell whatever cloning / imaging software you use to split the image into 4GB chunks?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 26 of 30, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Drop the hard drive into another machine. I use a usb <-> ide adapter. Then use WINIMAGE to make an image of the hard drive. Then you can do whatever you want with it. It will do a bit for bit copy of the entire hard drive. I recently did this to save a windows 2000 laptop a family member had. She never backed up and had all of her family history on it. I was then able to manipulate the image any way I pleased.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 27 of 30, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Will try using the Acronis products.

So far I've been using the DiskImage, gives me unreadable files when finishes chunking the drive. Roadkils utility gives me corrupted copies. Any experience with such results?

Extracting the HDD from ''The Thing" is quite a quest, not that I've done it 2 times, but I really wish to avoid such solution.

Gotta learn to boot from DOS PCMCIA, then use a smart boot manager to access the PCMCIA cdrom and finally boot a miniXP or some linux distro to get it done -> guidance welcome.

MOBO: PVI-486SP3 Rev 1.2
CPU: POD-83
RAM: 2x16MB
VIDEO: Matrox Millenium 2MB/Voodoo2 12MB/Video Blaster VT300
AUDIO: SB Vibra16 FM
SCSI: 72GB 15k RPM HDD/YAMAHA CD-RW 16x/ZIP drive + FDD drive
NIC: 3Com Etherlink III
PSU: 230W Generic

Reply 29 of 30, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use Clonezilla for most of my hard drive imaging needs. It works pretty well, though performance isn't that great on older machines. 🤣