VOGONS

First post, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's my primary workstation:

sam0058y.th.jpg

(ignore the Pee4 and ATI badges, those were left over from before I upgraded this machine long ago)

550 watt CoolerMaster PSU
ASUS A8N-VM CSM motherboard (Socket 939)
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
3 GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (dual-channel)
ASUS GeForce 9500GT w/ 1 GB
Integrated audio
160 GB Western Digital Ultra ATA/133 HDD
Sony 16x DVD-ROM drive
Floppy drive (!!!)
Integrated 10/100 Mbps Ethernet
MSI 802.11b/g wireless LAN card
19" Hanns-G LCD monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

^ Nothing special though, if I wanted to run 16-bit games/apps I would need the assistance of DOSBox. Or just use one of my other machines listed below.

On to some more interesting stuff...... here's a slightly more retro build I recently completed using some parts I got for free:

sam0059f.th.jpg sam0060z.th.jpg

430 watt generic PSU
VIA P4XB-S motherboard (Socket 478)
Intel Pentium 4 1.8 GHz (Willamette)
512 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM
32 MB ASUS V7100 Deluxe (GeForce2 MX) with VIVO and TV-tuner
Integrated audio
200 GB Western Digital Ultra ATA/100 HDD
Samsung DVD-RW drive
No network connection (yet)
Windows XP Pro SP3 + Windows 98 SE dual-boot (for obvious backward compatibility purposes)

Got the mobo and CPU for free, after my old workplace was throwing out some stuff. This would have been a typical off-the-shelf OEM configuration from around 2001-02. Gonna use this primarily for playing older Windoze games (pre-2003/2004 era). The TV tuner is kinda useless though, with the shutdown of all analog TV signals. This motherboard uses a chipset (P4X266) that got VIA into a bunch of legal issues with Intel back in the day, but nonetheless its performance and stability is very competitive (and in some ways better than) with that of Intel's 845D chipset. One thing I'm probably gonna add is a wireless LAN card so that I can get some kind of connectivity with my network, but for now I'm having fun transferring stuff via a thumb drive and external USB floppy drive. 😀

Also I'm pretty pissed at how hard it is to find and purchase DVD-ROM/RW drives with faceplates that AREN'T BLACK. beige is pretty rare on new machines nowadays but for the sake of making it look retro, c'mon......

Also interesting to note that there is a BABY AT version of this motherboard (may be the only P4 Baby AT motherboard floating around), but I'd be willing to bet it's hard to find:

http://www.ad-promotion-gift.com/promotional- … oard_36164.html

Now, moving up the chain:

sam0061i.th.jpg sam0062m.th.jpg

(unfinished "retro" gaming rig)
250 watt generic PSU
ASUS P2B-VE motherboard (Slot 1)
Intel Celeron 400
256 MB PC100 SDRAM
32 MB Diamond Viper V770 TNT2 Ultra
Some no-name 4-channel PCI sound card
80 GB Hitachi Deskstar Ultra ATA/66 HDD running in 33 mode
10/100 Mbps PCI NIC
v. 92 56k PCI modem
Windows 95 OSR2.5 (for when I really need it) + Windows for Workgroups 3.11 (primary-use OS, along with DOS)

Gonna use this for older games as well as DOS games. This thing doesn't have an optical drive yet, which makes installing stuff kind of a hassle. Managed to install the OS using one I "borrowed" off another machine. The P2B-VE is a custom motherboard designed by ASUS for HP's Pavilion computers, so after being unable to find info on ASUS's site about it, I went to HP's site and there it was. It has an onboard ATI Rage Pro Turbo graphics controller with 8 MB of SDRAM, and can be disabled via a jumper. It also has an AGP slot as well, which was almost unheard of with motherboards with integrated graphics solutions back in the day. Might take out one of the PCI cards and add a Voodoo/Voodoo2 card later on for playing those old Glide games, though it's kinda hard nowadays to find one of those off ebay for less than $30. Also trying to see if I can find my old 5.25" floppy drive from my pile of old parts - got a ton of old apps on this medium still sitting in my closet.

Also the TNT/TNT2 was the last chip from NVIDIA that had proper, accelerated drivers for Windows 3.1x (though they're inferior and sorta wobbly compared to S3's Win 3.1 drivers, never thought I'd see myself typing that - i.e. garbage can appear on the screen after opening/closing lots of windows, and some text corruption as well), but I guess NVIDIA never meant it to be an official release anyway. Nonetheless it's fun for bringing back some old memories of the not-so-good-old days of Win 3.1.

Also funny that my primary workstation is the only machine with an internal floppy drive 😜

Reply 1 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice rigs!

And about the black faceplates, I'm kinda having the exact same problem. Almost all recent things are black!
I kinda solved this by buying beige DVD drives in a second hand store where they sell for like €2 each (no guarantee it's not defective, but hey...only €2 right? 😁 ).

Voodoo's seem to become harder to find.

Where are you located?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 12, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In the good 'ole US of A 😀 I normally purchase any new stuff off newegg, but after searching through all their DVD/DVD-RW drives I couldn't find a beige one. Oh well. Maybe if I had some more spare time one day I could paint it? I donno...... I think these things do have interchangeable faceplates though.
Yeah I spotted a Monster 3D a while back on ebay with its original contents (box and games, etc.), but it was selling for ~$120. I purchased a Monster 3D II a decade ago or so for $50 (right before 3dfx went down under) but then sold it (bad idea) after I got out of gaming for a while.

Reply 3 of 12, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣! I just bought the case/psu in you second system setup! DYNAPOWER USA CS-NH3A-C760 Beige 0.8mm SECC steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 430W Power Supply - OEM @ newegg

If you go through the site it shows out of stock until you enter the item and then shows in stock. I talked to live chat and "molly" confirms it is in stock.

That case reminds me of a post swaaye did of some magazines of 98' era case. The magazine also had a slot-loading CD-ROM drive as well. For mine I had just bought a Pioneer slot loading 16x DVD-ROM that came a few days ago. This should look close to that setup in the magazine 😉 Gonna transfer my P3S/i815ep/Voodoo5500/Vortex2 setup into it though! :-p

As for your DVD-RW, have you scanned ebay? Here is one for like 12$ shipped. http://cgi.ebay.com/DVD-RW-NEC-ND-1300A-/1505 … =item230f285d2e

Reply 4 of 12, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haha yes, that's exactly where I purchased mine. I scanned through whatever was the cheapest and also looked the "most retro." And yeah ebay is usually the best place to find such drives, but I'm not too big with buying used drives, especially the tray-loading type (after having a few easily breaking on me).

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 5 of 12, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you wanted beige faceplate, go for LG drive. Those drives aren't expensive (mid-priced) and quite good in reliability.

Mine shipped from the factory with the beige panel preinstalled (and a spare black faceplate).

edit: those are new drives. Make sure "Extra Ivory bezel" printed on the box before you buy 😀

Reply 6 of 12, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MatthewBrian wrote:

If you wanted beige faceplate, go for LG drive. Those drives aren't expensive (mid-priced) and quite good in reliability.

Mine shipped from the factory with the beige panel preinstalled (and a spare black faceplate).

edit: those are new drives. Make sure "Extra Ivory bezel" printed on the box before you buy 😀

Good stuff to know, thanks for the tips! 😀

Reply 7 of 12, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just found this pic on my hard drive, after going through my old backed-up stuff:

desk.PNG

You might recognize the tower from my first photo in the first post above. 😉 This was back when I had much more free time and patience, heh.

Reply 8 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, made in Paint?
You have a feel for 3D, which is always handy if you start collecting insane amounts of hardware 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 12, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, made entirely in Paint. I had a lot of time one day and tried to see how much use I could get out of it. 😀

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ

Reply 10 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like paint, I made my avatar that way using just the ordinary Windows XP Paint (may the Windows 7 Paint burn in hell 🤣)

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 12, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haha nice, yeah, I don't like the Paint program from Vista/7 all that much, especially after they made the one in 7 too Office 2007-like. Of course, you can always replace the executable file with an older version.

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ

Reply 12 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pippy P. Poopypants wrote:

Haha nice, yeah, I don't like the Paint program from Vista/7 all that much, especially after they made the one in 7 too Office 2007-like. Of course, you can always replace the executable file with an older version.

I did...kinda. I copied the XP Paint but it won't save a file. I end up doing the shopping in XP Paint, then do select all and copy, paste it into Windows 7 Paint and then save, 🤣

Report spammers here!