VOGONS

First post, by Keatah

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On my old Gateway 2000 486 DX-2/50 I have a Gemini baby-AT motherboard from Micronics. It is an ISA only board. It came equipped with the DX-2 cpu and an empty socket for the Weitek co-proc.

What I am trying to determine is what CPU I have! Yeh, that's right! The 486 cpu here seems to be about 1/3rd the size of all the other 486/487 DX/SX/DX-2 chips I've always seen and known. There is a heatsink glued on the chip and it is socketed. It shows up in the bios as a genuine i486 dx2. All my literature and manuals and advertisements (I have all of it!) say it is indeed an intel chip.

I have this PC in storage, pretty well sealed up and I don't want to unpack and unseal it for a while yet. But can anyone tell me about this cpu?? Were clones of the 486 available then? This is late 1992. Or did intel make special oem chips or something? Or is this from a 3rd party mfg?

Also. One other thing, the system comes with cache 32K static ram cache on the mobo. And no matter what I did with it, it didn't make a difference if I had it turned on or off via the dip switches and bios. I could not see any changes in the benchmarks of the day. I'm wondering if this is that "fake-cache" thing that was going around in the pentium days.

Reply 1 of 8, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Without some photos its hard to tell.

Cyrix made some upgrade processors for 386 boards that were actually called 486's, the clock doubled versions of which were the 486SRX or 486DRX.

As for fake cache, that was usually a problem with PC Chips boards, but they had a lot of aliases, I don't think Micronics was one of them. Most of those that I've seen ha 128KB or 256KB fake cache, and the chips have been soldered to the board (not socketed).

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 3 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The socketed chip seems interesting, but without any pics of the chip or the socket itself, it's hard for us to tell.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any pic of the socket and the chip is good. Please include a pic of the board and the heatsinked CPU.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 8, by Keatah

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To bring this thread to a close. It is my mistake. My bad. I didn't really recall the size accurately. I took the system apart today, to remove the "threatening and ready-to-corrode" 3.6 Ni-Cd battery. While I had the cover off I compared the 486 chip on the motherboard with a genuine intel i486. They are indeed the same dimensions and ceramic color. I just hadn't committed the physical size to memory.

As far as the cache goes. I have the original documentation and will review the dip-switch settings and run appropriate benchmarks. I, too, have a feeling Micronics wouldn't screw around with fake cache parts.

Reply 8 of 8, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

I never had luck TSCing any 486. 🙁

The DX4 Overdrive I have responds to CPU ID requests in Quarterdeck Manifest and Speedsys. It might work in CPU-Z.