Retro Rig Photo Thread

Topic actions

Reply 161 of 2713, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GXL750 wrote:

Maybe the designer had the runs that day but he had a deadline and decided to put on paper the first thing on his mind.

🤣
so the change from the more organic designs previously to more squarish ones now indicates that constipation is on the rise at Apple Inc.?

Reply 163 of 2713, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's infectious apparently. Last week they launched the new Ipwad2 and there were like hundreds of people camping outside the Apple store to be the first to get one and they all had one thing in common- the look of a patient with severe Stage 4 hemorrhoids.

Reply 164 of 2713, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm surprised nobody has pounced on the potential marketing opportunities yet. You know, kinda like a shady car dealer offering a box of birth control pills with the sale of every Trans Am.

Reply 166 of 2713, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ipads are definitely becoming the new Ipod. How does Apple get in the with the mindless consumers so well? People see a tablet and automatically ask if that's the Ipad? Is it because it's on the evening news and all over fashion magazines?

I picked up a Nook Color and modded it. I've been asked a ton of times if it's an Ipad.

Personally I like my EeePC 900 a lot more. The keyboard makes it so much easier to come on here and whip up posts to annoy all of you. 😉

Reply 167 of 2713, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The clamshell laptop does look cute though, shame it's not very practical.

I heard on the news that Apple surpassed Google as most valuable brand (though Google told me the same thing had already happened in 2008). Gotta admit, Apple has come from the bottom of the pit basically.
The Apple craze with new stuff in the shops reminds me of the time people were waiting in front of the shops for Windows 95 to be released. Windows releases don't appear to cause these crazes anymore 😜

Though personally I'm not really a fan of Macs and I'm not someone with lots of other "electrical toys". I'm still using only the basic stuff like an alarm clock and a mobile phone. Even my agenda is still made out of paper instead of silicon and plastic 🤣.
Heh, I don't even have an MP3 player. For music I nowdays only use my PC('s) or my ancient sterio system which can only read CD's. Works for me 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 168 of 2713, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I tend to get interested in any sort of electronics device that I can use in a way unintended by its manufacturer. 😉 Overclocking, modding, whatever.

But I also like to make things last. My MP3 player is an 8 year old HDD-based Creative Zen Xtra with a 100GB HDD installed. Tragically it has the 128GB LBA limit. I always wished they would release the firmware source...

I bought the Nook Color because it was "only" $250, I wanted something smaller than my EeePC 900, and because there is a modding community for it and they are making customized Android distributions. There's even a Ubuntu port in the works.

Reply 169 of 2713, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

Ipads are definitely becoming the new Ipod. How does Apple get in the with the mindless consumers so well? People see a tablet and automatically ask if that's the Ipad? Is it because it's on the evening news and all over fashion magazines?

I picked up a Nook Color and modded it. I've been asked a ton of times if it's an Ipad.

Personally I like my EeePC 900 a lot more. The keyboard makes it so much easier to come on here and whip up posts to annoy all of you. 😉

Drives you crazy doesn't it?

People have asked me if my Kindle is an ipad. I always think to myself "no, this thing actually has a use" 😁 . The iPad has bad flash support so it's a bad web browser, and it's too big to curl up in bed with so it's a bad e-reader. If it has a function, I fail to see it. It's heavily marketed though, which I guess makes it the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I'm not knocking Apple, but it seems like they've been short on innovation and long on marketing for quite a while now. When they switched over to the x86 platform, they had a real opportunity and missed it. If they had opened up the Mac OS to any x86 machine with a given set of hardware, they could have stormed the market. People would have switched too if for no other reason than to avoid Vista, but not at the prices Mac's go for. The money isn't even in the hardware, it's in the software.

[/i]

Reply 170 of 2713, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it has a function, I fail to see it. It's heavily marketed though, which I guess makes it the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I'm not knocking Apple, but it seems like they've been short on innovation and long on marketing for quite a while now.

I think this basically sums it up
qpZdt.gif

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 171 of 2713, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SavantStrike wrote:

The iPad has bad flash support so it's a bad web browser, and it's too big to curl up in bed with so it's a bad e-reader.

Out of curiosity, have you actually used one, or is that hearsay?

Having owned Galaxy Tab and iPad, I can tell you that the lack of Flash has next to no impact on like 99% of browsing.

In fact, if you use a 3G connection when you're out and about, the lack of Flash saves you precious quota on bandwidth-intensive ads.

Having owned Kindle and iPad, I can tell you the size difference isn't that bad. It looks to be that way on paper, but iPad is easily light enough to hold up like a book. In fact, it's because of this that I prefer web surfing on it than on my laptop.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 172 of 2713, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Besides the jokes though, Apple products look pretty schnappy and that's what probably sells them- most consumers couldn't care less if you had a 6.66Ghz thingamajicbob in there. That only concerns nerds like us 😜

Reply 173 of 2713, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think there was a post deleted here? ^^^

Anywho, you just buy the gadgetry that suits your tech ecosystem, whether that's Windows, MacOS, or whatever.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 175 of 2713, by stano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

here are a few pics of my other retro rig I call - Bladerunner(not due to the movie, but due to the gf2 ultra it has/nvidia named their gf2 with the codename bladerunner)

5674879169_fb99a657ff.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5023/567487916 … 9a657ff_b_d.jpg

it consist of an abit be6rev1.2 motherboard which is flashed with a modded be6 rev2.0 bios specifically the z5 bios. It runs a
1000mhz pentium 3
asus geforce2 ultra with modded video bios
sound blaster live value
3com 905c network card
two skywell voodoo2 sli's
and 512 mb of pc133 ram.(apacer sticks).
Hardrives are a quantum lct 30gb (had 2 in raid 0 but one failed 5 or so years ago) and a 60gb seagate.

5702946610_db6c1c2cc6_d.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5303/570294661 … c1c2cc6_b_d.jpg
5702949176_d6ef33f201_d.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2545/570294917 … f33f201_b_d.jpg

the case in all its messy glory.I should do some cable management!

5674874873_85d83bee6d_d.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5266/567487487 … 83bee6d_b_d.jpg

Reply 176 of 2713, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Walthour wrote:

Go advertise somewhere else.

Last edited by Svenne on 2011-05-10, 18:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 177 of 2713, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@stano: Nice. With your video card setup and the 1ghz Pentium III, it seems like if you were to run Win98, you'd have a killer setup for games made in the mid 90s to early 2000s. I used to have a BE6 that I got in '99 and originally had paired with a Celeron. Sometime in late 2004, I noticed it's caps had bulged and busted and, to my surprise, I found out Abit was, in fact, willing to repair a 5 year old board at no cost. Sometime not long after, I sent that board along with a 900mhz Coppermine Celeron on a slotket to a family member. While I had it, the BE6 proved to be a great board and definitely a good job on Abit's part.

Reply 178 of 2713, by stano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am running windows xp on it now but in the day windows 98 se was my windows of choice.
It gets a regular workout with the quake series games 1,2 and 3.
I love playing old unreal with the voodoo2 sli...retro gaming at its best!
Also I have a soft spot for star trek klingon academy which had issues with
dual cpu/hyper threading processors, and only seams to not randomly crash with this p3 cpu.
I am looking to find another quantum lct 30gb drive to fully resurrect the pc I had in 1999.(although at the time the cpu was an 850mhz p3 and not 1ghz)

Reply 179 of 2713, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just a note, you mounted the cooler backwards 😉

5702949176_d6ef33f201_d.jpg

Svenne wrote:
Walthour wrote:

Go advertise somewhere else.

Better remove the link parts in your quote, or change them to something else which is funny 😜
I changed them to direct to www.google.com 😜

Edit:About the same picture, the pic is really small but could you check the 3 caps directly to the right of the PS/2 connectors? Judging from the light, it "appears" as if the middle cap is bulging.

Otherwise you chose your parts well btw 😉
AOpen PSU's are just FSP PSU's with AOpen stamped onto it 😀

Last edited by Tetrium on 2011-05-10, 10:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!