VOGONS

Retro Rig Photo Thread

Topic actions

Reply 1040 of 2705, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a pic of my retro gaming rig, which is mostly original.

Gateway 2000 G6-266:
- Gateway 2000 tower case. For a case from 1998 this thing is great. Sound-proofed, easy access and easy to work on, no sharp corners. My only complaint is that it's a bit tight behind the CD-ROM drives.
- Pentium II 266 MHz, not overclocked
- 440BX chipset, Intel OEM board.
- OEM Ensoniq Soundscape AudioPCI sound card
- original Mitsumi 18 speed CD-ROM drive (starts to get tired).
- Philips DVD-ROM/CD-writer out of an Apple eMac 1GHz. Just works, despite lacking a front plate.
- Original 4 Gb harddisk, to which I added a Maxtor 40 Gb harddisk that was supposedly failing in a newer AMD Duron-based system (that was 10 years ago... 🤣 )
- 320 Mb RAM, 64 Mb + single-sided 128 Mb + half-recognized single-sided 256 Mb stick. The latter two sticks didn't work under the original BIOS revision (P08), so I updated the BIOS to version P18 (when Gateway's site still existed). It's stable. A nice and interesting side-effect of the high RAM amount is that this system can play DVDs without hardware acceleration, despite supposedly being too slow for that (PowerDVD takes 194 Mb of RAM)
- Asus Nvidia TNT2 Riva M64 AGP videocard, replacing the original Nvidia TNT AGP card.
- ISA ISDN modem that I never removed from the system.
- FDD.
- USB 250 Mb ZIP-drive.
- original Gateway speakers
- I still have the original 17" monitor (HUGE heavy beast), but it has been replaced by a Dell flat screen
- Windows 95 (USB support) updated to Windows 98 SE

I still have a Adaptec ISA AHA-1542B SCSI-2 adapter I'll probably install into this machine, since Win98SE is the last OS that still has compatible drivers (I think...).

gateway.jpg
Filename
gateway.jpg
File size
83.69 KiB
Views
File comment
Gateway 2000 G6-266
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1041 of 2705, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Diamond Viper 770 if you turn up empty handed on trying to get a proper 128 bit TNT like a Viper 550, the bandwidth difference is huge and really shows in some games.

Nice rig and I always love seeing those good old Gateway 2000s plus some them have Nice boards.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 1042 of 2705, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The M64 card comes out of a disastrous PC purchase I did in 2001 (had a system built by a system builder shop recommended by friends, turned out to be a complete mess that ate hard disks at a rate of 1 every three months and BSOD'ed under load 😒 ) Its 32Mb of RAM were a great improvement over the 4Mb of the original graphics card, despite the bandwidth problem. It also helps that I mostly play older DOS games and Windows RTS games.

This Gateway 2000 has a nice board 😀

Reply 1043 of 2705, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:

The M64 card comes out of a disastrous PC purchase I did in 2001 (had a system built by a system builder shop recommended by friends, turned out to be a complete mess that ate hard disks at a rate of 1 every three months and BSOD'ed under load 😒 ) Its 32Mb of RAM were a great improvement over the 4Mb of the original graphics card, despite the bandwidth problem. It also helps that I mostly play older DOS games and Windows RTS games.

This Gateway 2000 has a nice board 😀

yawetaG wrote:

Gateway 2000 G6-266:
- Asus Nvidia TNT2 Riva M64 AGP videocard, replacing the original Nvidia TNT AGP card.

Perhaps you're referring to the Viper V330, which is a Riva 128? The Viper 550 (which I had in my first system) comes with 16MB, Riva 128 I see often with 4MB.

If you replaced a Riva 128 with a M64, then I'd say it would (or at least should) definitely be an improvement, though I dunno if this improvement was really significant. I found TNT1 not all though fantastic in performance (and you can forget about 32-bit gaming on the TNT, it was usually very slow and I noticed little difference).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1044 of 2705, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I purchased a TNT1 when they were first out and I needed an AGP (which was new) video card. The drivers were so unpolished that all games had artifacts, took them a while to get it working decently.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 1045 of 2705, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a look at the original card, and it is a STB Velocity 128 AGP (rev. B) with 4 MB RAM and only VGA-out (never do things from memory... 😵 ). Interestingly, it has a Gateway-badged BIOS chip (version 1.6, dated Oct. 28, 1997).

Reply 1046 of 2705, by Deflektor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Socket-7 build. Cable-managment need some extra-work, but the case is awesome - always want one of those.

IMG_5301.JPG
Filename
IMG_5301.JPG
File size
1.21 MiB
Views
File license

Inside i've got 128mb of pc-133 ram, isa sound blaster vibra (i know its not awe64, but its sound really good with my antel lansig 2.1 setup) s3virge+voodoo-2 (will add second sli-voodoo2 and replace s3 with matrox millenium 2 shortly). Also i hook up voodoo 2 to the second vga-input on my Sony Trinitron g200 monitor. Boom, no image degrading and everything great until you start playing something like Myth: The fallen lords, where you have to switch inputs constantly)

IMG_5302.JPG
Filename
IMG_5302.JPG
File size
1.28 MiB
Views
File license

I've reprogrammed standard Hi and LO lights on the case to 133 manually. It was not as hard as i thought, just basic jumpers-managment

IMG_5309.JPG
Filename
IMG_5309.JPG
File size
1.08 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_5307.JPG
Filename
IMG_5307.JPG
File size
1.48 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 1047 of 2705, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nice ive been looking to have a setup like that

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 1048 of 2705, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:
Here's a pic of my retro gaming rig, which is mostly original. […]
Show full quote

Gateway 2000 G6-266:
- Gateway 2000 tower case. For a case from 1998 this thing is great. Sound-proofed, easy access and easy to work on, no sharp corners. My only complaint is that it's a bit tight behind the CD-ROM drives.
- Philips DVD-ROM/CD-writer out of an Apple eMac 1GHz. Just works, despite lacking a front plate.
- Original 4 Gb harddisk, to which I added a Maxtor 40 Gb harddisk that was supposedly failing in a newer AMD Duron-based system (that was 10 years ago... 🤣 )
- 320 Mb RAM, 64 Mb + single-sided 128 Mb + half-recognized single-sided 256 Mb stick. The latter two sticks didn't work under the original BIOS revision (P08), so I updated the BIOS to version P18 (when Gateway's site still existed). It's stable. A nice and interesting side-effect of the high RAM amount is that this system can play DVDs without hardware acceleration, despite supposedly being too slow for that (PowerDVD takes 194 Mb of RAM)
- FDD.
- USB 250 Mb ZIP-drive.
- I still have the original 17" monitor (HUGE heavy beast), but it has been replaced by a Dell flat screen

I still have a Adaptec ISA AHA-1542B SCSI-2 adapter I'll probably install into this machine, since Win98SE is the last OS that still has compatible drivers (I think...).

gateway.jpg

I had this exact model, bought new in '97. Don't even want to think how much I spent on that bastard. I'm almost sure it was over $3k. If I'd put the same amount in Apple stock I'd have my damn house paid for.

Reply 1049 of 2705, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deflektor wrote:

Socket-7 build. Cable-managment need some extra-work, but the case is awesome - always want one of those.

Nice! Socket 7 is just so versatile - I've got four working systems at the moment, and parts for several more... 😊

What kind of motherboard and chipset is that? What processor? Looks good.

Personally, I wouldn't replace the Virge with a Millenium - the S3 has better DOS compatibility. Unless yours is a cheap one with bad image quality, I would keep it.

Reply 1050 of 2705, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oerk wrote:
Deflektor wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't replace the Virge with a Millenium - the S3 has better DOS compatibility. Unless yours is a cheap one with bad image quality, I would keep it.

I've been through a couple of S3 Virge myself, currently using a Diamond Stealth 2000 Pro. Haven't really noticed any quality difference with a Matrox.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1051 of 2705, by RetroGamingNovice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's my two that I currently got running, oldest first, showing both AIDA screencaps and empty desks.

Oldest, 433c, 9x-era.
-------------------------------------

aida64-1.JPG
Filename
aida64-1.JPG
File size
154.54 KiB
Views
File license
aida64-2.JPG
Filename
aida64-2.JPG
File size
161.76 KiB
Views
File license
emptydesk.JPG
Filename
emptydesk.JPG
File size
172.82 KiB
Views
File license

Newest, dc5750, XP-era.

aida64-2xp.JPG
Filename
aida64-2xp.JPG
File size
389.17 KiB
Views
File license
empty desktop.JPG
Filename
empty desktop.JPG
File size
417.01 KiB
Views
File license

Leaving the laptop outta this as there's a separate thread for that, however the newest of the rigs I got that would count for retro/legacy/whatever is that dc5750, since it's based around hardware that came out in '04, which is kinda getting there.

PC hardware: Ryzen 5 4500, 32GB RAM, 1TB SN 570 Linux drive, 500GB 970 EVO Plus Windows drive, 2TB 970 EVO Plus games drive, 1TB 870 EVO extra storage drive, RX 6600 GPU, EndeavourOS/Win10 dual-boot

Reply 1053 of 2705, by CodeFuApprentice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Everyone 😀
Here's my Retro Rig:
Specs:
AMD K6-III 400Mhz
Gigabyte GA-5AX Rev 4.1 Motherboard
256MB PC133 memory.
20GB Quantum Fireball LM Plus hard disk
LG DVD Drive
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound card with a Yamaha DB50XG Daughter board.
Nvidia Geforce 2 MX AGP w/32MB
(I had a Voodoo 5 previously installed, though i've decided to use it with an Athlon XP 1800+ instead 😀
650Watt PSU
Windows 98 (Not Second Edition)

Attachments

• My Retro PC.jpg
    Filename
    My Retro PC.jpg
    File size
    656.16 KiB
    Views
    File license

AMD K6-3 400 | Gigabyte GA-5AX R4.1 | 256MB PC-100 | 20GB Quantum Fireball LMPlus | Windows 98 SE
*Alternating between: Geforce 2 MX AGP or 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 AGP. *Sound Blaster AWE-32 CT2760 or Turtle Beach Santa Cruz w/ Yamaha DB50XG.

Reply 1054 of 2705, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CodeFuApprentice wrote:
Hi Everyone :) Here's my Retro Rig: Specs: AMD K6-III 400Mhz Gigabyte GA-5AX Rev 4.1 Motherboard 256MB PC133 memory. 20GB Quantu […]
Show full quote

Hi Everyone 😀
Here's my Retro Rig:
Specs:
AMD K6-III 400Mhz
Gigabyte GA-5AX Rev 4.1 Motherboard
256MB PC133 memory.
20GB Quantum Fireball LM Plus hard disk
LG DVD Drive
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound card with a Yamaha DB50XG Daughter board.
Nvidia Geforce 2 MX AGP w/32MB
(I had a Voodoo 5 previously installed, though i've decided to use it with an Athlon XP 1800+ instead 😀
650Watt PSU
Windows 98 (Not Second Edition)

And on screen is Heretic II menu? I ended that game years ago and was very good 😀

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 1055 of 2705, by Laehdesmaeki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here are few of my retro computers.
I will take better pictures soon.
AT&T Globalyst310, intel dx2 66mhz, 1mb tseng et4000/w32i vlb, 16mb ram, 8gb compact flash hdd, Soundblaster 16vibra with opl3
Ast Bravo 386sx/20 4mb ram, 42 hdd
And noname case tomatoboard 4dps, AMD DX4 100mhz, 16mb ram, 1,7gb hdd, S3 trio64v+ and another vibra 16 with opl3

Attachments

Reply 1056 of 2705, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yawetaG wrote:
Here's a pic of my retro gaming rig, which is mostly original. […]
Show full quote

Gateway 2000 G6-266:
- FDD.
- USB 250 Mb ZIP-drive.

gateway.jpg

Oh my. This is so cool to see. 😎

This is almost exactly my second computer, which I bought in '98. Wish I hadn't thrown it out!

Except mine definitely came with an STB Velocity 128 (RIVA128) 4 Mb AGP card. Hard drive was a Quantum Fireball 4.3 Gb. Original RAM was 64 Mb.

Also I'm positive the motherboard had an LX chipset. I remember the board being very picky with RAM; after a few years finding PC66 wasn't so easy and it simply wouldn't accept the PC100 RAM I bought and tried.

The 17" monitor you have is the EV700, right?

EDIT:

yawetaG wrote:

I had a look at the original card, and it is a STB Velocity 128 AGP (rev. B) with 4 MB RAM and only VGA-out (never do things from memory... 😵 ). Interestingly, it has a Gateway-badged BIOS chip (version 1.6, dated Oct. 28, 1997).

Didn't read the entire thread before replying but yes, there you go. So the system is probably 100% identical to mine. Are you sure the chipset isn't LX?

Reply 1057 of 2705, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's a quick photo of my rather unusual XT clone:

samsung.jpg
Filename
samsung.jpg
File size
156.05 KiB
Views
File license

Samsung SPC-3000. The brand/model is unusual but as far as specs it's bog-standard as can be... 8088, 640K RAM, dual 360K floppy drives, 20 MB ST125 hard disk, CGA graphics. There's nothing else in it except a dual gameport card. Totally stock, runs PC DOS 3.30. I believe this was sold in 1987 so it would have been really low-end for the time.

I'm not usually into PC hardware this old but a friend of my sister's was going to throw it out about fifteen years ago so I had to save it from certain death. It works but I'm not sure what to even do with an XT, so it just sits around chilling for the most part 😀

Reply 1058 of 2705, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a very nice looking machine you got there. I don't think it was such low-end in 1987 - it has dual floppy drives and 640k, whereas lower-end PC usually came with just one drive and 512k RAM. You could try to run CGA games on it 😀

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 1059 of 2705, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks! I'm happy to have it. It does have some CGA games on the hard drive (Dig Dug, among others, which is fun and seems like a decent port) and they're pretty cool but an 8088 just seems so slow to me ;I

I guess it's not the lowest of low-end, but by 1987 a "normal" PC would have been something like a 286-10 with 1 Mb of RAM, right?