enermax2sheds.jpg
Filename
enermax2sheds.jpg
File size
264.36 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Happen to have the A7N8X open at the moment. Have similar in the P4P800SE. These are nice quiet units and I'll be pleased to find more. I'm thinking they're using the opportunity presented by two fans to run them at reduced RPM.

Reply 681 of 2703, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Until the OCZ aquisition, PC Power used single fan for everything - even the kW class stuff. Nothing at all wrong with that. Double fan can be fine too, but isn't required even at the high end (nor is giant fan on the bottom).

Reply 682 of 2703, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pewpewpew wrote:

These are nice quiet units and I'll be pleased to find more. I'm thinking they're using the opportunity presented by two fans to run them at reduced RPM.

I agree.

I have 5 of these Enermax PSU's and have used one for over 10 years in my P4P800 rig and my Gigabyte 8KNXP rig and I have to say that they are some of the best PSU's of their time for the price.

A few of mine have a fan speed control dial in addition to having 2 fans.

They are very quiet, especially when they are dialed down and even at low RPM's they move a fair amount of warm air out (I am not sure of any specific CFM rating, but I have noticed temperatures to stay a bit cooler using these PSU's over some modern ones on some of my P4 setups).

Another great thing about these PSU's is the typical high amp output for +3.3V +5V and +12V (typcially 35A for 465P VE model, compared to 20A-30A for some more modern 400W-500W PSU's) and 1.0A for -5V as well is good for some retro systems.

The build quality is generally good too with mostly Japanese capacitors used in most cases from what I have seen in some reviews I have read in the past.

Reply 683 of 2703, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have 6 or so of these Enermax PSU's this model, and the other one I listed with my Cyrix.
I got them when newegg was having a refurbished sale, maybe.... 4-5 years ago maybe more... 🤣 for like 10$ each with free shipping.
There not bad PSU's and have -5v on them still, quiet heavy too.
Only annoyance is the model with my yellow Cyrix box, you HAVE to have the aux fan plug.... plugged in, or the PSU's 2nd fan does not work.
The one in the P233, doesn't have this issue, the fan plug is just for rpm monitoring.

Reply 684 of 2703, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Talking of PSU's, I cringe when I have to replace a customer's power supply as the price difference down here between quality and crap is huge, so I have to fit crap.
One blew up in my face once and the shop smelled of fish for a few days afterwards 🤣.

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM

Reply 685 of 2703, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seeing as i'm new, i'd like to show off my hardware.

My 3dfx box: This motherboard was my grandpa's, who gave me his computer in around 2007. He was moving an no longer required a desktop (has laptops now). The board has bulging capacitors, so at some point I need to get around to replacing them, I always assumed they had bulged because grandpa had incorrectly overclocked the CPU (it has dip switches on the motherboard). Originally had an AMD Thunderbird @ 1.2ghz, but that blew smoke one day and was thrown out. I put in a new (at the time) Duron 1800. It runs all the late 90's to 2000-2001 games very well supprisingly.

AMD Duron 1800 - running at 1.35Ghz (specs not been changed since 2008)
Soltek SL-75KAV/-X
3dfx Voodoo 3 2000 16MB - PCI
786MB 133Mhz SD-RAM.
AWE64 Gold. I love the Midi on this thing!!
Some USB port PCI card.
3com 3c905 PCI NIC
Seagate Barracuda ST3802110A 80GB IDE 7200RPM 2MB
Win98se

DSC_0997.jpg
DSC_1000.jpg

My old pc: I actually just purchased this working motherboard, as my one died in 2007. I've been just playing with it atm, loading my images onto the HDD, seems to work as poorly as I remember, the CPU is quite a bottleneck with this system, but I didn't build it, my dad did, and for whatever reason decided not to buy a new CPU (but use his old one) when he made it. I had great fun on this system in 2006, used to play Call of Duty Online all the time!!!!

AMD Athlon XP 1700+ - running @ 1.1Ghz (i notice there is less than 1fps difference in framrate so what they hey, underclock it.
Asus A7V8X-X
3D Club nVidia GeForce FX5200 128MB - AGP
1x 512MB 333Mhz DDR
Seagate Barracuda ST3802110A 80GB IDE 7200RPM 2MB
Currently win98se, but i used to go back and forth with XP all the time in 2006, i couldn't make my mind up over which was to be my OS.

DSC_0994.jpg
DSC_0995.jpg
DSC_0996.jpg

My DOS/WFW 3.11 Machine:

Used for DOS games and some windows 3.11. Nothing more I can say. I acquired this machine in 2006 for free (including an AT keyboard) from a computer shop who were throwing it away. My grandpa collected it on my behalf. It's only now I realise how rare Baby AT cases are, and how difficult it will be for me to complete my 486 mobo and CPU. This is very out of era machine, purely so I can run anything DOS without issues or gripes.

Intel Pentium MMX - 200Mhz (specs not changed since 2006- at least)
Epox EP-5BVPXA
ATI Mach64 VT 2MB - PCI
8MB EDO SIMM
Yamaha OPL3 chip soundcard
NE2000 NIC

DSC_1004.jpg
DSC_1003.jpg

Mid-late 90's random machine:

I bough the motherboard from e-bay in 2008 before the soltek board became the backbone of my 3DFX machine. The k6-2 500mhz was just not good enough for me to run games as smoothly as i'd like.
It's been unused since then. It now has a k6-233mhz that was my grandpa's, and i did have windows 95 on it. I've been putting the system in the new case I have come by, but the damn hard disc has failed, damn it! It was sector free. I didn't touch it, but it is now gone. 😠 😠 V. angry. I always foudn this motherboard amusing and annoying at the same time. The placement of the ATX connector, and the floppy connector are in the most inconvenient place. And the ram is the 'wrong' side of the CPU. Both of these things are qerky, but that's why i like it. It looks very lost inside this ATX case.

AMD K6 - 233Mhz
TMC TI5VG+
SiS 6326 8MB - AGP
32MB EDO SIMM
D-LINK D220
Opl3 chip s/fx card.
Win95B

DSC_0985.jpg
DSC_1002.jpg

Other than my Amstrad PC1512DD, these are the machines that are up and running (well except for the k6-233), I have a HP desktop with an athlon 2800 in it, which I use for my FTP and Call of Duty Multiplayer server. But that is currently inopperable (i don't have the space to have them all plugged in). I have a Asus VL/I-486SVGOX4 mainboard with an Intel i486 SX 33Mhz awaiting a case at some point. But that's it more or less

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊

Reply 686 of 2703, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My latest build...

AMD Athlon Slot A 750mhz
256mb SD133 CL3 Ram
Gigabyte GA-7IXE Motherboard
Matrox G400 Max AGP Graphics Card
Generic C-Media PCI Sound Card
Allied Telesyn AT-2500TX NIC
WDC WD40Gb Hard Drive
Floppy Drive
Philips CDRW2412A Drive
Compaq CD-ROM CRD-8484B drive
Windows 98 SE

K7-Case_zps83dc42aa.jpg

K7-Inside_zps904c3108.jpg

Need to replace the Sound card and need to get a standard black plate for the MB.

Last edited by foey on 2014-09-19, 19:10. Edited 2 times in total.

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 689 of 2703, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
2fort5r wrote:

Everybody likes the Enermaxes. I have 4, ranging from 350W to 600W.

Because they are rock solid and have the exceptional +5v rail.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 690 of 2703, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
foey wrote:
My latest build... […]
Show full quote

My latest build...

AMD Athlon Slot A 750mhz
256mb SD133 CL3 Ram
Gigabyte GA-7IXE Motherboard
Matrox G400 Max AGP Graphics Card
Generic C-Media PCI Sound Card
Allied Telesyn AT-2500TX NIC
WDC WD40Gb Hard Drive
Floppy Drive
Philips CDRW2412A Drive
Compaq CD-ROM CRD-8484B drive
Windows 98 SE

K7-Case_zps83dc42aa.jpg

K7-Inside_zps904c3108.jpg

Need to replace the Sound card and need to get a standard black plate for the MB.

That's a nice Slot A machine. Very hard to find Slot A cpu's/mobos down here.

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM

Reply 692 of 2703, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

from top to bottom/left to right:
Intel Pentium P55C 233 MMX
FIC PT-2007 Mainboard
Voodoo 3 2000 PCI 16MB
Some Sound Blaster PCI Card

AMD K6-2 500
Asus P5A
128MB RAM
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP 16MB

486 DX2/66 on unknown Mainboard
unknown VGA card
Some Sound Blaster ISA Card

386 SX 16MHz 8MB RAM

HP Vectra Pentium 2 300MHz
64 MB RAM
Voodoo 128 Stingray (hercules)

Intel Pentium 3 1GHz (not shown on Picture)
ASUS CUSL2
512MB RAM
Voodoo 5 5500 AGP

pcs.jpg

Reply 693 of 2703, by Geoman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bysurferox11 wrote:
Hello. […]
Show full quote

Hello.

My ibm aptiva 2144.

25yyk2d.jpg

486 DX2 - 66, 16 MB Ram, Sound Blaster 16 (CT2290) - CD 52x

Bye

Now this one is a beauty! In perfect shape!

IBM Aptiva 2168-931

Reply 695 of 2703, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
miljo wrote:
nemail wrote:

386 SX 16MHz 8MB RAM

That 386 is cool little thing. What's its story?

my grandpa bought it for me (used) when i was about 10-12 years old. i've learned to code qbasic on that thing and played many, many hours boulder dash on it, as well as reinstalled win 3.11 a dozen times just for fun 😁
then it was forgotten in the basement for 10 years or so and half a year ago i got it back, assembled everything and started it up again. somehow i've lost the hard disk and NO hard disk wanted to work, even if i reduced its size to 500mb with seagate tools or maxblast (must be some bug in the bios). eventually i found the 100% same(!) hard disk (some 200mb caviar) on ebay which was installed originally which I have bought and installed.
The Dallas CMOS battery was also empty so I tried to solder a CR2032 to it, which did not work so I managed to buy a brand new Dallas CMOS battery at a local supplier (didn't believe these things are still being produced).

Now finally the pc is working like a charm again, thanks to the original hard disk even the sound is the same 😁
oh and it didn't have a sound blaster card originally, that's something I bought afterwards for it, a few months ago.

Reply 696 of 2703, by miljo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
nemail wrote:
my grandpa bought it for me (used) when i was about 10-12 years old. i've learned to code qbasic on that thing and played many, […]
Show full quote

my grandpa bought it for me (used) when i was about 10-12 years old. i've learned to code qbasic on that thing and played many, many hours boulder dash on it, as well as reinstalled win 3.11 a dozen times just for fun 😁
then it was forgotten in the basement for 10 years or so and half a year ago i got it back, assembled everything and started it up again. somehow i've lost the hard disk and NO hard disk wanted to work, even if i reduced it's size to 500mb with seagate tools or maxblast (must be some bug in the bios). eventually i found the 100% same(!) hard disk (some 200mb caviar) on ebay which was installed originally which I have bought and installed.
The Dallas CMOS battery was also empty so I tried to solder a CR2032 to it, which did not work so I managed to buy a brand new Dallas CMOS battery at a local supplier (didn't believe these things are still being produced).

Now finally the pc is working like a charm again, thanks to the original hard disk even the sound is the same 😁
oh and it didn't have a sound blaster card originally, that's something I buyed afterwards for it, a few months ago.

Very cool. Good on ya for getting it up and running again. What's the make? I don't recognize the logo.

It looks like it's in nice shape. It caught my eye since I love small pizza box machines.

Reply 697 of 2703, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Solarstorm wrote:

Just for completness here are some Pics of my 2003ish PC i just dragged out of the closet.
http://imgur.com/a/6gaY8

🤣 i've used to use those tagan PSUs too, unitl they shot one of my mainboards... hell, put that thing out of your PCs

Reply 698 of 2703, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
miljo wrote:
nemail wrote:
my grandpa bought it for me (used) when i was about 10-12 years old. i've learned to code qbasic on that thing and played many, […]
Show full quote

then it was forgotten in the basement for 10 years or so and half a year ago i got it back, assembled everything and started it up again. somehow i've lost the hard disk and NO hard disk wanted to work, even if i reduced it's size to 500mb with seagate tools or maxblast (must be some bug in the bios). eventually i found the 100% same(!) hard disk (some 200mb caviar) on ebay which was installed originally which I have bought and installed.

oh and it didn't have a sound blaster card originally, that's something I buyed afterwards for it, a few months ago.

Very cool. Good on ya for getting it up and running again. What's the make? I don't recognize the logo.

It looks like it's in nice shape. It caught my eye since I love small pizza box machines.

it's "ITOS", some OEM from germany for industrial-use PCs I guess, you'll find NOTHING in google about them 😀

Reply 699 of 2703, by miljo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it's "ITOS", some OEM from germany for industrial-use PCs I guess, you'll find NOTHING in google about them 😀

Very cool.

Maybe the CC-Computerarchiv has some info on it?

https://translate.google.com/#auto/en/http%3A … terarchiv.de%2F