Retro Rig Photo Thread

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 2685, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Ah, so it was YOUR site I've found some years ago!

<grin> 😀 Yeah, that page has been up for quite some time now 😀

Tetrium wrote:

Sad you had to decommission it though. Sooooo...what did you replace it with? 😁

I'm simply using one "main" PC now; my P4 2.666Ghz/768MB RAM/SBLive/WXP Pro SP3. My SBLive does for me what all of my AWE32 cards did, and DOSBox allows me to have my retro-gaming fix 😀

Although, I also have an old additional AMD 500Mhz PC set up to house my old Wave Blaster 1, and to connect my MasterPilot Programmer to (both can be seen in a few of the pics on that web page).

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 41 of 2685, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is the second part of my pics

48601.th.jpg48603.th.jpg48602.th.jpg
Specs
Soyo 025N2 VLB Motherboard
Intel 80486DX2/66 with integrated heatsink (and a fan I attached using 2 screws 😁 )
32MB fpm RAM
130MB HDD
VLB multi i/o controller
Soyo S3805 based VLB video card with 2MB RAM
a simple Creative Vibra sound card
Yamaha CD-R
Well, to be honest, I never had a 486. And I really don't need it that much. But since I had a spare case, and 2-3 boards I thought I should make one. For me the most classic 486 is the dx2/66 with VLB, so I didn't choose to play with later PCI boards and faster cpus. I sure need to get another HD though....

38601.th.jpg38602.th.jpg38603.th.jpg38604.th.jpg38605.th.jpgspecsmi.th.jpg
Specs
Motherboard with AMD 386DX/40
IIT 4C87DLC-40 Co-Processor
128KB 15ns Cache Memory
16MB RAM
240MB Maxtor HD
2GB formatted to 504MB CF card as drive D:
Pine CL5422 1MB VGA
CT2800 Sound Blaster 16 card + NEC XR385 daughterboard
I love this one. This is the fullfillment of what I dreamed as a child. I wanted sometime to have a PC with the specs table full as you can see on the last pic, with nothing missing...
😵
I used to have a CD-ROM drive, but since I started using the CF card to transfer software, I really don't need it, plus I like the original look of the case, having just two floppies.
Again, this is way better than the 386/40 I used to have in 1993. That pc had only 4MB RAM, and in the beginning no HD at all. Then I bought this Maxtor drive used, and of course it is still in a 386 PC!

28601.th.jpg28602.th.jpg28603.th.jpg
28604.th.jpg286board.th.jpg
Specs:
DFI 286 Motherboard
AMD 80286/16MHz CPU
Intel 80287-8 Co-Processor
2,5MB RAM
128MB CF card as HD
Trident 8900 512kb RAM VGA
ESS688 based sound card
This one is like my first ever PC my parents bought me in 1991. It originally had a Siemens CPU, but I replaced it with the AMD, and now I have the Siemens on the identical board I have as a spare. I still have it's original Conner 40MB HD, but it is starting to fail, so last week I replaced it with a CF card. That PC is ideal for very old games.

Because of the lack of space, I can't have all of them out and working, so for the time being, the 286/486 and the NECV20 are living in my closet. But when I feel like playing with any of them, it's really easy to get it working. Thanks to a 4 port vga switch, I really need just one monitor. Here are the rest of the guys, I use more often :
pcsw.th.jpg
The guest star is my 22" lcd tv on the right, which I can also use to connect the Pentium 3 PC. Now, what's really cool, is that I've connected the Pentium 1 with the Pentium 3, using a null modem cable. That way I can play Doom and NFS with a friend whenever I like. 😁

Reply 42 of 2685, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Markk wrote:

Man, that case is so close it's eerie -> http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/Weeds_486DX4-100.htm <grin> 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 43 of 2685, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sprcorreia wrote:
This a picture of my current work in progress: […]
Show full quote

This a picture of my current work in progress:

IMG_0333.JPG

Some stuff is not correct for the targeted year. It will be a Q1-1999 machine.

Right stuff for the time:

Asus P2B Motherboard
Intel PIII 500MHz
Asus AGP V3400TNT/TV Riva TNT with 16MB SGRAM
SLI mode with 2 x Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo 2 12MB
Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI controller
Diamond MX300 with Yamaha DB50XG daughter board

Off spec is:

2 x Crucial PC133 CL2 128MB SDRAM
Black Cooler Master Elite 333 case
Thermaltake Purepower 360W PSU - A bit too much, but it's silent
Black 16X Samsung DVD
Seagate Barracuda 80GB 7200rpm - Looking for the right Cheetah...
Black Floppy drive

If i don't find the right missing parts it's probably end up like it is.

I want an Enlight case and if i ever find it different stuff i have will be added, like:
Creative 5X DVD-ROM
White floppy drive
White Iomega 100MB internal IDE

And it's pretty much it.

I'm already working on my next project, it will be a Q4-1994 or Q4-1995 machine, but i'm still doing research to match the components i have.

swaaye wrote:

Katmai getting some love for a change. 😉

ASUS P2B...the first motherboard I ever owned 😀
And it still works too!
@sprcorreia:Whats the revision of your P2B? If it's 1.12 you can replace that Katmai with a coppermine. Even some 1.10's (including mine) will work with Coppermine 😉

Markk wrote:
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/7661/pcsw.th.jpg […]
Show full quote

pcsw.th.jpg

Omg, this setup looks so close to what I have in my bedroom! Except I only have 1 CRT monitor on the dest but I got drawers to the right (for my ZIP drive and a few other PC things) and a couple computer cases to the left on the ground, stacked 😁
The number of cases I have to the left of my desk has changed a lot in time from 2 cases all the way to 5 cases! 😜
It's handy for coffee hehe 😜

Edit:
@Markk:The PSU in your ATX case looks kinda cheap though. You might wanna replace it with a better one if you can get your hands on one for cheap 😉
And I'm really liking the AT cases posted here, you guys seem to have kept all the pretty ones! 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 44 of 2685, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Edit:
@Markk:The PSU in your ATX case looks kinda cheap though. You might wanna replace it with a better one if you can get your hands on one for cheap 😉

You're absolutely right. A couple of weeks ago, one of the two hard disks stopped working. I thought it was dead. And then I changed the power plug and it started working fine again. I've got to search for some better PSU some time. I've got about 5-6 AT PSUs but only 1-2 ATX, and the other one I've got it worse than that in the P3.....

Reply 45 of 2685, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Markk wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Edit:

You're absolutely right. A couple of weeks ago, one of the two hard disks stopped working. I thought it was dead. And then I changed the power plug and it started working fine again. I've got to search for some better PSU some time. I've got about 5-6 AT PSUs but only 1-2 ATX, and the other one I've got it worse than that in the P3.....

Could you post the full specs of the other 2 PSU? I find a top notch 250W PSU to be better then an El Cheapo 400W.
One way to check on older PSU's is by feeling it's weight, but the best is ofcourse to simply look up the model numbers in google 😉

Also, it wouldn't hurt to open them up to check for any leaking caps or other signs of damage, but use extreme caution when you open a PSU that's recently been powered up as it may still carry a lethal charge!

Report spammers here!

Reply 46 of 2685, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyway, back to the pics! 😁

Part one

My old former main rig

Zalman 300W PSU, brand new
Intel D815EEA Socket 370 i815 AGP board
Intel Coppermine 1000Mhz
512MB SDRAM PC-133
Geforce2MX 64MB AGP
40GB brand new Maxtor 5400rpm harddrive
Some random optical drives

Front, being used as a "table", these days this rig never leaves this place anymore.
DSC00519.jpg

DSC00519.jpg
Filename
DSC00519.jpg
File size
183.81 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

As you can see, I tried to kinda keep the inside from becoming a cable mess. It originally had all it's cables wrapped together but now just leave them like this so I can remove/plug/unplug easier

DSC00520.jpg

DSC00520.jpg
Filename
DSC00520.jpg
File size
358.94 KiB
Views
File license

The cables used to look a little bit more like this:

DSC00521.jpg

The first one comes with a story:
Back in the days (must've been around 5 or 6 years ago) I only had my very first computer (a 550Mhz Katmai with 512MB RAM and a 20gig harddrive. I had attemtted to upgrade with a brand new 40gig Maxtor harddrive but the board could never recognize it for some reason...yes I updated the BIOS! 😁), a Celeron 400 and my 486. While the Celeron 400 worked great, it was still slower then my Katmai 550 and the Katmai 550 had LOADS of crap on it's harddrive so I could never bear to format the drive, so the Celeron 400 was basically my main rig for a couple years.

I still had a Coppermine 1000 laying around, taken out of a dead board I found, but I didn't have a motherboard to put it in.
In those days there was a large "computer fair" in Amsterdam every few months. Lots of people selling new stuff and older stuff, but I had difficulty finding the right parts I needed to build myself a good-enough rig. Either it was all damaged (like 15 bare motherboards in a large cardboard box, full of scratches and like €10 each, untested.
I did find plenty other small parts over there, mainly oem Socket A coolers (the copper ones 😀 )so no shortages on those parts. Bought a lot of those copper Barton AMD coolers for €2 each 😁
But...still no motherboard 🙁

Then I had a lucky break at work. We had received a bunch of hardware, cases, complete computers and lots and lots of parts!
Amongst these parts was an Intel mobo, i815 chipset and AGP which had been tossed in the bin because they had broken the lever of the CPU socket! (my collegues weren't exactly rocket scientists you know -_-...one was actually a former bikes repairman!)
Without lever, the board would be useless but they gave it to me as I wanted it. Perhaps I could fix it somehow?

So I brought the board back home and saw I'd need a plastic lever from where-ever!
I looked in my pile of dead boards and found a Socket A board with leaking caps and it had the same plastic lever.
So I thought "Heck, why not!? If I don't try I got nothing for sure, so might as well!".
I investigated the socket and noticed it was basically 2 plastic parts that can slide over eachother, so I reckoned the top part of the socket must be removable.
I placed the dead board on a table and used a screwdriver to try and find a way to remove the top half of the socket which in the end worked, though I broke it while I did it. No harm done, that boards dead anyway and it gave me precious experience to try to remove the top half of the socket from that Intel board.

I successfully managed to remove the plastic lever and basically hoped it would fit. Well, they looked the same so I thought my chances were fairly good, provided I didn't break the socket of the Intel board.

So again, with a flatbed screwdriver I (carefully!!) removed the top half of it's socket...and it worked! I removed the broken lever, placed the good lever into position and clicked the 2 halves back together.

Now I placed the P3 into the board, sinked it, equip memory and an S3 PCI card (I'm using the same 2 test S3 PCI cards for years now 😉 ), plug in a PSU and pushed that button...SUCCESS!!

The board still worked yay! So next I installed a true AGP graphics card (a GF2MX 64MB was the best AGP card I had at my disposal at the time), tested again, worky!
I wanted to pick my components carefully. I wanted this system to be maxed BUT also wanted to be as economical as possible as I had very little parts to use.
I wanted 512MB, but knew the i815 chipset would max out at 512MB and supported up to 256MB DS SDRAM modules. If I put 3 DS SDRAM modules in the board, it would run the memory as PC-100, so my task was to put 512MB in there but still have it all run as PC-133. For this I needed to use a max of 4 banks of memory in there. Thus I ended up putting 1x256MB DS (->2 banks) and 2x128MB SS (->2x1bank) and it worked! This way I wouldn't need to use one of my very few 256MB memory modules and I still got what I wanted 😀

I continued to do this, install 1 component, test, install another, test, until I got the complete system ready on a cardboard box.
One drawback was that apparently it's floppydrive controller had died, but the upside of this board was that it had 3 memory slots 😀.
The brand new Maxtor 40GB drive also worked in it, so I had everything ready!

Since a short while I also finally had a copy of XP, so this rig would be my very first XP rig. All my previous machines had either ME, 2k or 95 oem. I didn't own a copy of 98SE back then and the w2k disk wasn't even bootable, so XP it is!

After the install was done, I put the system in it's case (btw, also an Intel case) and finally had a computer worthy of succeeding my Celeron 400. This would be my main rig for the time being.

Now I could finally play games that were too slow for the Celeron, like Unreal 2 and Homeworld 2.
Also this system became my new offline database, it's 40gigs was MUCH larger then any other harddrive I had at the time.

However, it still had problems. The system never was as stable as I wanted it to be. Also the Maxtor harddrive was annoying to hear all the time. The case it was in wasn't particularly noise friendly.
On top of that, even though the P3-1000 performed it's intended purpose well enough, it had always been a stop gap solution until I could afford me a new, faster main rig, build with brand new parts.
I had attemtted to get this system to run more stably, including replacing it's 3 DIMM's with 2x 256MB identical PC-133, but it didn't seem to matter a lot.
The 3 other DIMM's ended up in my P3-800 lan rig, upgrading the amount of memory in there.

About 3 1/2 years ago this is exactly what happened. I bought parts for about €300, used some parts from here and from there and my new main rig was up!
The P3-1000 got demoted to being a spare rig. I copied all of it's data to the much bigger harddrive of the new system and from then on I continue to use this P3-1000 system as a system for harddrive data recovery, along with a removable harddrive bay.

When I moved to my new house (with attic!! 😁) it ended up in the attic right away and these days I even keep the side panel off so I can access it easier.

I have since used the P3-1000 at least 3 or 4 times to save data from harddrives of family 😁 and countless times from my own harddrives 😀

So this system is now about 5-ish years old(?) and only sparcely used, it's still operational 😀

edit: Since PB decided to take a crap on us, I decided to re-upload at least some of the pics to Vogons directly, because missing pics in a picture thread just isn't really something many of us will probably like. Keep enjoying! 😀

Last edited by Tetrium on 2017-08-09, 00:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Report spammers here!

Reply 47 of 2685, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Part 2

One of my 2 first lan rigs

FSP PSU, probably 300W
Intel D815EEA
Intel Coppermine 800Mhz
384MB (later 512MB) PC-133 SDRAM
Diamond Viper V770 (Riva TNT2 32MB)
Soundblaster 128PCI? (was removed later as I needed it somewhere else 😜)
Some random NIC

DSC00525.jpg
DSC00526.jpg

DSC00525.jpg
Filename
DSC00525.jpg
File size
269.99 KiB
Views
File license
DSC00526.jpg
Filename
DSC00526.jpg
File size
459.2 KiB
Views
File license

Here a clear view of the (2nd) aluminium cooler and the 3 memory modules. Note how the 1st module is a double sided 256MB module and the other 2 are 128MB single sided modules, the maximum amount of banks this board can run at 133Mhz.

DSC00528.jpg

DSC00528.jpg
Filename
DSC00528.jpg
File size
257.74 KiB
Views
File license

But I still wanted my own lan (it was a DREAM for me back then!!) so I could game together with my friends, preferably 2 dedicated machines fast enough so I could keep the P3 1000 as an offline database-only computer (I didn't want to run the risk of infections, loosing my entire database).

Again a couple lucky breaks, I was gifted 1 computer containing an ASUS A7V333 and was also gifted another Intel 815 motherboard (exact same model as the 1st Intel board).
I build 2 systems around those motherboards, the A7V333 got a Palomino 2000+ whilst the other received my second fastest P3 chip I owned, a Coppermine 800.
I loved my Palomino rig! SB Live!, Radeon 9600 and a very silent IBM 20GB drive. Unfortunately this system is no longer around. After it's harddrive died I gradually took it apart until I smoked the motherboard 🙁

The P3-800 was another story.
As it was intended to be half of my local lan, I only needed it to have a basic install. I put a 13.5GB harddrive in it, the fastest graphics card I had available at the time (a Viper 770, TNT2 32MB) and about 384MB PC-133 SDRAM. Can't remember what soundcard I put in there but it was probably a SB 128PCI.
I decided that both my lan rigs needed XP, since I wanted both systems to have the same OS so networking them together would be potentially less troublesome.
Also since the P3-1000 rig never was as quiet as I had hoped, I decided to try something new on it. I installed a VERY large alumunium cooler on it which had a 7cm fan and it was quiet and cool!

I was short on cases back then, so I used a sturdy ATX case (to prevent the vibration noise problems I had with my P3-1000 rig) but the sides are hard to remove. Theres no "dent" in the side and it locks so firmly together, I don't even need to mount screws to keep the side panel in place!
If I wanted to remove the side panel, I needed to use a flatbed screwdriver but since this was only a lan rig, it wasn't supposed to be opened and closed a lot anyway 😉

The install itself went great and this machine had good performance for what it was and never gave me any troubles. Also on this board the floppydrive controller at least worked 😁

It was also half of a little personal victory of mine, I successfully networked the 2000+ and P3-800 together and we had a couple games of AVP2 on it. Fun!

It had, however, one problem with it's CPU cooler. Apparently the cooler was a bit too large to keep making good contact with the tiny die of the Coppermine and I've had to reinstall the cooler a couple times because it would simply stop booting after a random time. Reinstalling the heatsink fixed that, apparently no hardware was ever damaged, it was just the CPU overheat fail safe kicking in I guess.
At some point I decided to use a different cooler and went with another, smaller, aluminium cooler with 6cm fan and a thick aluminium base, this solved the random no-more-boot issues and was still cool enough to run this computer stably.

After a while I upgraded the memory with the 3 memory modules I'd removed from my P3-1000 main rig, as seen in the pics above.

It was also this rig that became my testbed for Windows Server 2003. As I didn't want to delete the XP install I decided to mount a second harddrive in the case and switch cables around depending on what OS I wanted to boot.
I set up W2003 as a desktop basically and I must say that, after the initial tweaking and driver issues, it ran absolutely fantastic! W2003 seemed a lot snappier then XP even though the rest of the hardware was identical, the 2 harddrives were very similar in performance also btw.

But then, time goes past, I moved and ever since my move I'd gotten newer lan rigs. The P3-800 was demoted to being a spare and has remained in the attic since the last 2 years or so. Also I somehow had misplaced the W2003 harddrive, I lost it 🤣!
When I took these pics an hour or so ago I noticed I removed the screws holding the optical drives in place for some dark and unknown reason 😜

Ok, that was quite a lot of writing!
The pics of the P3-1000 were a little bit difficult to take as there is much stuff blocking me, preventing me from taking pics up real close.

edit: Since PB decided to take a crap on us, I decided to re-upload at least some of the pics to Vogons directly, because missing pics in a picture thread just isn't really something many of us will probably like. Keep enjoying! 😀

Last edited by Tetrium on 2017-08-09, 00:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Report spammers here!

Reply 48 of 2685, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

ASUS P2B...the first motherboard I ever owned 😀
And it still works too!
@sprcorreia:Whats the revision of your P2B? If it's 1.12 you can replace that Katmai with a coppermine. Even some 1.10's (including mine) will work with Coppermine 😉

Mine is a 1.10, but it runs coppermine (at least celerons). The IC that controls the clock and multiplier is the same included in the later revisions, and it seems that it supports 133MHz FSB, with pci @ 33MHz (never tried it...).

Reply 49 of 2685, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Could you post the full specs of the other 2 PSU? I find a top notch 250W PSU to be better then an El Cheapo 400W.

Thanks, but it's not worth dealing with them. They are even worse than the one I'm using, and I think both of them are 200W. I probably should search for a new one, but also capable of working with the older P3 board.

Reply 51 of 2685, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bushwack wrote:

*After seeing cable management in this thread, bushwack run screaming into the darkness of the woods.

What cable management??? 😜

Reply 52 of 2685, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bushwack wrote:

*After seeing cable management in this thread, bushwack run screaming into the darkness of the woods.

🤣!! 😀

Actually, I was quite proud of mine -> http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/Weeds_486DX4-100.htm 🤣!

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 53 of 2685, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My cablemanagement is basically: All the extra cables I happen to have left I kinda cram into some of that empty cdrom drive space 😁
I don't like tie ribs because when I work on computers, I always forget something or need a cable or somewhere...you get the picture. I don't know when a computer is actually finished until I find myself not having used the computer for a longer time 😜

What I do use from time to time is that "iron thread with plastic coating" that I can cut in any length I desire and then twist it and untwist it if I need access.
For me, cable management is mostly for airflow, access to the cables and hardware (so no permanent tie-ribs in any of my rigs) and prefenting any cables from making a noise when it keeps hitting one of the fans 😜

Btw, the pics of the last 2 rigs were taken very recently. They used to be tidier a couple years ago when I used them much more often 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 54 of 2685, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Tetrium: Nice pics and entertaining stories man! You obviously love your machines- every one of them is given a personality. I've felt that way only for a few of my rigs- an IBM 300PL with a 450Mhz Katmai that I loved sooo much I named it, a P233MMX 430HX system, and a Dell P4 workstation. Hmm, come to think of it, all were run-of-them mill OEM systems.

Reply 55 of 2685, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:

@Tetrium: Nice pics and entertaining stories man! You obviously love your machines- every one of them is given a personality. I've felt that way only for a few of my rigs- an IBM 300PL with a 450Mhz Katmai that I loved sooo much I named it, a P233MMX 430HX system, and a Dell P4 workstation. Hmm, come to think of it, all were run-of-them mill OEM systems.

Thanks!
And yes, all of my computers are kinda my creations, like frankenstein hehe! 😜

And I do give every computer an unique name and every single computer even gets it's unique desktop wallpaper! 😉
The name is usually something to do with the computer itself and the wallpaper I take a lot of time in in picking the really neat ones 😉.

Maybe I should post the wallpapers also, though I don't remember all of them anymore.

I know the P3-1000 was called "Gigi" as in Gigi agistino, that Italian DJ and because Gigi is sorta based on Gigaherz. As it was my very first XP machine I just gave it that standard XP hills and sky wallpaper.
The P3-800 I can't remember what wallpaper and name I gave it, but I might go try firing her up and see.

The (RIP) Palomino 2000+ was called "Pally", the 486 was called "Haantje de voorste" which translated from Dutch kinda means "someone who wants to be in front of the line all the time, picked 1st all the time" because the 486 was obviously the slowest machine I got (and still have).
I "think" it had the standard W95 wallpaper, even though it slows down the machine.

The Celeron 800 has Win ME on it and I think I called it "Millennium Proof" 😜 Which was taken from another machine I decommisioned 2 years ago (lost it's harddrive heh 😜 ).

Edit:Well, I'm sorry to say that for these particular rigs the wallpapers were totally unexiting, but I'll post them anyway 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 56 of 2685, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I fired up the K6-III/400 AFK, the Celeron 800 and I even brought the P3-800 down from the attic, and it still works 🤣!
Heres the K6-III rig:

DSC00532.jpg
DSC00531.jpg

DSC00532.jpg
Filename
DSC00532.jpg
File size
301.67 KiB
Views
File license
DSC00531.jpg
Filename
DSC00531.jpg
File size
300.98 KiB
Views
File license

I think the wallpaper is somewhat unexciting but I think I can remember why I used it. I think I chose this particular wallpaper because it's very easy on the eyes and in itself looks nice enough 😀
It also shows what driver I used for the Voodoo 2. Since this driver worked perfectly for me, I think this one will be my driver of choice for V2's in the future (it's not like I don't have enough V2's to choose from hehe 😁).
It uses a standard boring Soundblaster PCI and the computer appears to be named "Sharptooth", the codename for AMD's K6-III's.

The Celeron 800 now, in running condition. Apparently I hadn't selected a wallpaper for this one, it has the all-black background. I probably wanted a 3DFX background but couldn't find a 3DFX wallpaper that I liked (input is welcome! 😉 ). I made a pic of the rig in running condition just to show off with that beatiful 3-colored LED casefan 😜
Second picture, I finally figured out what soundcard I used in this one, and it wasn't a Vortex after all!!!
Check pics to see what I used ;D

DSC00539.jpg
DSC00537.jpg

DSC00539.jpg
Filename
DSC00539.jpg
File size
192.33 KiB
Views
File license
DSC00537.jpg
Filename
DSC00537.jpg
File size
247.55 KiB
Views
File license

The LED pic is a bit blurry, sorry for that, but I tried various modes and wanted the pic to show you what it looks like when you see it running. This one looked best. I saw the blurryness after I uploaded so it'll have to do 😉
The soundcard I remember I pulled out of a P1-166mmx I was gifted by a friend of mine, and I just wanted to hear what it sounded like. As it didn't have any drivers for XP, I decided to use it in this rig as it was going to be using ME even before I actually started to build this rig.

But still....now I MUST USE VORTEX IN MY NEXT BUILD L O L!
One more interesting note;The Celeron 800 machine only uses 192MB ram while the slower K6-III uses 256MB. Apparently I wanted to make the best use of the K6-III's cacheable area while wanting to maximize the Celeron with parts I considered to be of littlest use, which were 3 64MB memory modules, all PC-100 cl2.

Anyway, on to the final one, the P3-800.
Apparently it has a version of XP Pro on it, even though Home is my preferred version. I must've used Pro because I wanted to see what standard wallpapers it had. Seems Pro and Home have the exact same wallpapers, except for the one I showed in the pic. Pro has this blue one while Home has the Green one. And fyi, Server 2003 also has this wallpaper art, but in grey!
I liked the blue color, it must be why I kept this wallpaper instead of using one I pulled from the net 😉

It indeed had it's soundcard removed but as I saw the Audigy driver on the desktop it's probably an Audigy that used to reside in this machine.

DSC00540.jpg

This machine had it's optical drive unscrewed, which is ideal to use as an extendable coffee holder!

DSC00541.jpg

DSC00541.jpg
Filename
DSC00541.jpg
File size
146.2 KiB
Views
File license

And one more pic, since I already had the camera in my hand anyway...cable management! On a different scale:

DSC00543.jpg

When I have 2 rigs running, I use one black and one white so I don't pull out the wrong extention cord, instantly removing power from the running computer! 😁

Edit:Doh, forgot to check the names of both the 800Mhz machines! 🤣

Last edited by Tetrium on 2017-08-09, 01:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Report spammers here!

Reply 57 of 2685, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

This machine had it's optical drive unscrewed, which is ideal to use as an extendable coffee holder!

Where can I buy one of those???! Looks EXTREMELY handy 🤣!!! 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 58 of 2685, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rfnagel wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Where can I buy one of those???! Looks EXTREMELY handy 🤣!!! 😀

But wait!!! Theres more!!!

You can simply remove the screws and sell those original ViNtagE screws on Ebay for a grossly overrated price and you will even MAKE monay!!1

Report spammers here!

Reply 59 of 2685, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

But wait!!! Theres more!!! You can simply remove the screws and sell those original ViNtagE screws on Ebay for a grossly overrated price and you will even MAKE monay!!1

🤣!

Hehe, BTW, I'm fondly reminded of a little Windows joke program thing that was circulating around the Internet eons ago. I even think that it was actually released by the Coca Cola Company (but I don't really remember)... it was a "Free Beverage Holder!", and when ran on your PC it would open the CD tray 🤣! 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel