VOGONS

1st complete socket 7

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 42, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can't be the chipset though, OEM's liked to simply switch some of the wires/pins around 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 41 of 42, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found out what he ment by usb having to do with chipsets: he thought that OEM's switched the pinout on VIA chipsets and not the others from his experience... I think it is probably just a coincidence, although I have to admit that I've only seen it on VIA chipsets so far.
EDIT: I think it's funny how manufacturers manage to make universal serial bus a proprietary connection.

Reply 42 of 42, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This may very well be some sort of coincidence, or maybe Intel forbade the changing of the pinouts or else?

At any rate, it can't be blamed on any chipset maker, all they do is supply BGA chips along with a manual how to solder those to motherboards.
If anyone is at fault here, it's the manufacturer that manufactured those motherboards by switching some traces around.

At any rate, I shall be more careful when using one of those OEM cases (some are just too good looking to throw away 😀). Another reason for me to like Fujitsu Siemens. afaik they did no proprietary stuff whatsoever 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!