Reply 20 of 23, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:
But it is not at all the same as a GX1. Completely different machine. […]
Show full quote

If his video is the same as the video in my Dell GX1 machines, then it should be some variant of ATi Rage with it's own dedicated memory.

But it is not at all the same as a GX1. Completely different machine.

The variations of the PII/PIII-era Optiplexes I've worked on are roughly as follows... there are some others, but these are the most common:
GXa - 440LX, Rage Pro 2MB/4MB, Slot1, PII only
NX - same as a GXa, but with no externally accessible drive bays
G1 - 440BX, Rage IIc 2MB/4MB, Slot1, no audio
GX1 - 440BX, Rage Pro 4MB/8MB, Slot1, Crystal audio optional
NX1 - same as a GX1, but with no externally accessible drive bays
GX1p - seems to just be a GX1 with ECC memory installed?
GX100 - i810, Intel graphics, S370, no audio, mostly limited to Mendocino Celerons, though some later revisions can be coaxed into taking a PIII, and I've run across a couple that had the same 133fsb-capable board as the GX110
GX110 - i810e, Intel graphics, 133fsb support, Slot1 or S370, ADI audio optional
GX115 - i815e, Intel graphics, 133fsb support, S370, ADI audio

Then a new video card is definitely in order because Intel graphics from back then were sufficient for running apps, but not if you wanted to do any serious gaming. A Voodoo 3 or TNT2 would be the minimum for a machine like that. Hopefully it's not a small form factor model.

Reply 21 of 23, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For old games, I already have a Dimension XPS with a 1ghz Pentium III and a GeForce 256 so I'm not going to go out of my way to upgrade the OptiPlex. However, I have found a good use for the old thing. I have it plugged in next to my bed and I installed a wireless keyboard and I have a small CRT on top of the tower and positioned so I can see it laying down in bed. Now I don't need to leave bed for internet.

Reply 22 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GXL750 wrote:

For old games, I already have a Dimension XPS with a 1ghz Pentium III and a GeForce 256 so I'm not going to go out of my way to upgrade the OptiPlex. However, I have found a good use for the old thing. I have it plugged in next to my bed and I installed a wireless keyboard and I have a small CRT on top of the tower and positioned so I can see it laying down in bed. Now I don't need to leave bed for internet.

Yay, you're smart hehe!!! 😉 😉 😉

Btw, another use "could" be to use those boards for testing harddrives (especially if you happen to (like I did once) bump into one of those killer harddrives 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 23 of 23, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, that was a short stay! I no longer have said OptiPlex GX110. I sold it for $20 to this (quite friendly) European couple who needed a machine old enough to feature RS232 serial ports to run some car diagnostics software and equipment on. The work I put into cleaning the computerand making it run nice again actually paid off as, for a first ever for me, I got a followup e-mail thanking me for my help and letting me know I did a really good job making sure that computer was good to go.