VOGONS

SMART Issue

Topic actions

First post, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just installed a 500gb Seagate hard drive into my desktop earlier and it seems to run fine. However, when I start the computer, I get a SMART error and in Windows, when I open everest, I see that "Reallocated Sector Count" has a red X next to it. However, the count is 1, worst counted value is 1 and threshold is 36. No other flags on the smart data, just that one thing. It was my understanding that a lower value was better there. Can anyone help me make heads or tails of this?

Reply 1 of 8, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm thinking your motherboard does not properly handle the SMART technology properly, maybe needs a BIOS update ???

Also which Windows flover do you have installed and are the latest chipset INF driver packs installed ???

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 5 of 8, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Everest is probably only showing normalized values instead of raw data. In this case, a value of 100 would mean no reallocated sectors, 36 would be the point when the disk is about to run out of space for reallocated sectors, and 1 would be near the worst possible value.

Reply 6 of 8, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That could be right.

Well, whatever the case, it doesn't have a warranty and I got the thing for free. I've run chckdsk, Seagate's SeaTools, Spinrite and neither of the three found any problem sectors and I already have everything I need to keep backed up on another drive as well as on some flash drives. It's just annoying because this computer has no way to disable SMART and gives me a prompt at each startup I have to press F1 at.

Reply 7 of 8, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What BIOS does it have? In my BIOS, you can press ALT-F1, CTRL-F1 or Shift-F1 (don't remember) to enable some "hidden" settings.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 8 of 8, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also had an old 60GB 2.5" IDE HDD which has the same issue. The drive is definitely healthy, but since I upgraded my laptop's drive and used the drive on my main PC, the SMART area corrupted somehow. It doesn't develop bad sectors, but it's irritating tp see
the prompt "Your drive will fail soon. Please press F3 to continue booting" before the bootloader starts 🙁

I connected it back to my laptop. My laptop detected it as a faulty drive and refused to boot from it. Then I put it on my Pentium 233Mhz PC, ran SeaTools and low-level formatted the drive. (Although the BIOS only detects around 8GB, but SeaTools works fine).

Since then, no problems arise. It's living as the media drive for my Atom server + media center 😀