VOGONS

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can anyone suggest a good socket 370 CPU fan (that I can still get)? I have been looking all over and really can't find anything but cheap junk that seems like it was really designed for socket 7.
I did find this one:
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=axp-3200
It seems more of a socket A cooler. They *claim* it also works with socket 370, but seems awfully big. Anyone have any thoughts?

Reply 1 of 13, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Socket A coolers are mostly backwards compatible with S370, though it depends what sort of clearances you have around your CPU socket. But that one you linked really isn't all that big, so it should work with most S370 boards.

Reply 2 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In my experience Socket A HSF's should work without any issues on s370 CPU's (and sometimes even Socket 7!!!). The only s370 CPU's that might give some issues are the FC-PGA2 ones that come with an IHS as those are a bit higher.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ncmark wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I think I may try one. I am intrigued by those being advertised as "near silent."

Lol...only way to be sure a HSF is "actually" silent is by listening to it yourself.
If you're looking for a cheap, silent and pretty good cooler I can recommend the Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 3. I bought a few for like €5 each a couple years ago. Only thing about it is the weird mounting way, you need a screwdriver to secure the clip. But other then that it keeps my Barton 3200+ much cooler then it's stock HSF (which I now use for Socket 370 CPU's 😜) and is very quiet.

I don't mind a HSF making a "wind-like" sound, it's the annoying vacuum cleaner monotone sound I hate.

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ncmark wrote:

I looked it up - that is a neat-looking cooler! But it is advertised as socket A only 🙁

It should work on Socket 370 regardless. I've used AMD stock coolers on Pentium 3 without any issues, even though AMD never made a single Socket 370 CPU! It should work 😉

Edit:Seems s370 is mentioned on the official website also, I'd say you're good to go 😉
http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/cpu/17/.html

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 13, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can only agree. I used the AC copper silent 3 (aka "lite") with a S370 board and it worked fine. Very silent and the cooling should be more than enough for every S370 CPU. I also liked the mounting. No more risky "pressing-down-the-clamps".
The only thing you have to look after is that there are no big capacitors near the socket.

Reply 9 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A good source for me is dumped computers, second hand shops that sell untested parts and half-disassembled computers and such, mainly because it's cheap to do it that way.
This may not be a solution to everyone though and of course it has the drawbacks that you have very little choice and can't buy a big number of good coolers quickly.

Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 13, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quality :
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/229070

Affordable :
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/229091

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 11 of 13, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

A good source for me is dumped computers, second hand shops that sell untested parts and half-disassembled computers and such, mainly because it's cheap to do it that way.
This may not be a solution to everyone though and of course it has the drawbacks that you have very little choice and can't buy a big number of good coolers quickly.

Same here. They usually dump the coolers into a random box of coolers and you pick and choose the one you want. Same with the video cards, network cards, etc. With a keen eye you can pick out some nice ones... I've found a couple of Cooler Master heatsinks this way- incl one very noisy little bugger with a 7000rpm 50mm fan- needless to say I never use this one 😜

Reply 12 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Same here. They usually dump the coolers into a random box of coolers and you pick and choose the one you want. Same with the video cards, network cards, etc. With a keen eye you can pick out some nice ones... I've found a couple of Cooler Master heatsinks this way- incl one very noisy little bugger with a 7000rpm 50mm fan- needless to say I never use this one 😜

Can undervolt the really speedy ones though, at 7v they are much quieter 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 13, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for all the input!
While that silent 3 cooler was interesting, I couldn't find a place that had any!
I finally broke down and got that nexus fan I was looking at.

Now, I was using a p3/866 downclocked to 650 (a 133 mhz bus chip run on 100 mhz system).

I was using a an old coolermaster cooler that I think was really meat for socket 7. The temps on that chip were reaching 50oC - too hot for my tastes.

I put that nexus fan on there and it's running 32oc - barely heating up at all!