VOGONS

First post, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These are another 3 of my rigs- a Slot 1, socket 478 and Core 2 covering some 10 years. Didn't put them in the retro rig thread since 2 of them are not retro, just old.

P6050037.jpg

Leftmost: "Teapot"- Slot 1 600mhz Katmai, Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard, Lian-Li PC30A case, 40gb 7200rpm ATA133 Maxtor hard disk, Aopen DVD drive, 784mb ram, Abit Siluro Geforce 3 Ti200 (though it's pictured with a Geforce 256), NEC usb 2.0 card, SB Live! sound card, DFE538TX network card, Sony 1.44" floppy, I-cute 250w psu, Evercool Fox2 slot fan, CM Musketeer front panel. Running a tweaked Windows XP Pro SP3.

Middle: "Rainbow" - My sig rig- P4 Prescott @3.6ghz stock volts for 24/7 use, Deepcool Stormfighter heatsink, Palit Nvidia 6800GS, 2gb DDR400 Kingston ram, 80gb Samsung Hd, Samsung DVD-RW, CM Elite 310 case, 3x120mm CM fans, E-view 300w psu, CM Musketeer panel, CM 3-colour CCFLs, Sony 1.44" floppy, Nickel plated pci slot covers, Alu thumbscrews, lots of colourful parts done up in the style common with the P4/ Athlon XP era- i.e. loud. Running Windows XP SP3.

Rightmost: "Gigabyte"- E5700 @ 3.66Ghz (333x 11) 24/7 auto volts, Asus P5B motherboard (P965 chipset), CM Hyper 212+heatsink, Asus Nvidia GTS250 512mb, 2gb Kingston DDR800, Samsung F3 500gb hard disk, Samsung DVD-RW, Sony floppy, multi card reader, Gigabyte Triton 180 case, Gigabyte Superb 450w psu. Windows 7 32bit.

Rear view
P6050039.jpg

A shot of the P3- I like these old stumpy cases
P6050036.jpg

Afterburners are GO!
P6050035.jpg

Side view:
P6050034.jpg

Another view- the brushed aluminum kinda reminds me of old jet fighters...like the MiG21s the air force used when I was a kid.
P6050033.jpg

Closer view of the hardware:
P6050032.jpg

P6050047.jpg

One generation ahead- P3 vs P4
P6050041.jpg

P4 vs Wolfdale
P6050042.jpg

I like to see them side by side- it's like an evolutionary chart in the flesh 😀

Reply 3 of 39, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You know you're getting old when CORE 2 is considered obsolete these days.

Yeah, scary, innit? Hell, that thing is younger than the newest system I own. I'm still running an E6600 Conroe on a 945GC board as my primary machine...

Reply 4 of 39, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very nice post!! 😁

sgt76 wrote:

I like to see them side by side- it's like an evolutionary chart in the flesh 😀

Me too 🤣!
I once showed a friend of mine a whole row of CPU coolers, all the way from 486 to s939!

Sorry for spamming your thread with some of my pics, but maybe you like them in a way:

A while ago I took some pics showing 3 generations of 3.5in floppy disks x2 and all of the same manufacturer 😉

DSC00262.jpg
DSC00263.jpg

One row is 360kb (SS), 720kb and 1.44MB
Second one is 720, 1.44 and 2.88

And someone on VCF requested a pic of a 2GB flash chip laying on top of a 2.88 floppy disk (dunno why 2.88, but he asked and I had both....so....😜)
DSC00233.jpg

Edit:Now that I think of it...most modern running Intel rig is a Coppermine!
I seriously will want a Conroe at one point in the future, they were (are?) kinda legendary, but I stuck with AMD as it was cheaper that way 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 39, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

I once showed a friend of mine a whole row of CPU coolers, all the way from 486 to s939!

Yes, that's a nice evolutionary path and very visible. If I had a decent s370 board I would have plopped that into my Lian Li along with a Golden Orb but all me s370 boards are shite ATM 😢

Tetrium wrote:

Sorry for spamming your thread with some of my pics, but maybe you like them in a way
A while ago I took some pics showing 3 generations of 3.5in floppy disks x2 and all of the same manufacturer 😉

You may spam all you want! 😁 I now want to venture into earlier hardware - like the dos systems my family had when I was a kid- use to play Mines of Titan, Xenon 2, Silpheed, Phantasy on them. But I was only like 12-15 and I can't remember anything about that era. Apart from the fact that when we had our IBM XT, my friend had a 386 and I was like wow! And when the Pentium came out, I remember my dad talking about it and remarking that such systems were the penultimate of human achivement and would be used for sending man to mars bla bla bla...

Tetrium wrote:

Edit:Now that I think of it...most modern running Intel rig is a Coppermine!
I seriously will want a Conroe at one point in the future, they were (are?) kinda legendary, but I stuck with AMD as it was cheaper that way 😜

I must be the world's worst self-declared AMD fanboi as I have 5 built up Intel rigs, enough parts to build a few more and only 2 AMD systems 😜

To be truthful though, this is my 2nd Core 2 rig. I had one a few years ago an E2180 on an Asrock 775i65G with AGP and a Radeon 3850 AGP that I sold off. That wasn't too powerful compared with my then A64 5200+ main rig, but this current build is quite beastly for what it is.

But the Core 2 architecture is very impressive- 5 years on and its still very capable. I'd say any hardware collector should have one in his collection.

Reply 6 of 39, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:

But the Core 2 architecture is very impressive- 5 years on and its still very capable. I'd say any hardware collector should have one in his collection.

Definitely! And alas both capable and expensive on the second hand market!
I will have to wait 🤣!

Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 39, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I only went multi core early last year 🤣

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 39, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great systems. Really like that Lian Li rig. I have soo many mid-towers that take up alot of space!

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 10 of 39, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

I have soo many mid-towers that take up alot of space!

Same here, been hauling in too many cases the last 2 months or so, and none of them as nice as the ones posted by TS 😉
My favorite of the 3 would be the black right one. I have 2 Coolermaster Centurion 5's and think those are close to being the perfect looking case to me 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 39, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using a Centurion 5 for my main machine, and I agree that it's a very nice case. Though I did make a couple cable management holes in the motherboard tray and painted the blue trim pieces satin black.

It's too bad they screwed up the new version of it with the stupid bottom-mounted PSU bit.

Reply 12 of 39, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

I'm using a Centurion 5 for my main machine, and I agree that it's a very nice case. Though I did make a couple cable management holes in the motherboard tray and painted the blue trim pieces satin black.

I got 2 of these cases. First I got the all-black one (because it's the nicest looking one 😁) 4 years ago, then I got the standard one with the metal "sides" last year for my quad core (should've just gotten the all-black one though but I wanted a different looking one...🤣)

Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 39, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Same here, been hauling in too many cases the last 2 months or so, and none of them as nice as the ones posted by TS 😉
My favorite of the 3 would be the black right one. I have 2 Coolermaster Centurion 5's and think those are close to being the perfect looking case to me 😁

Thank you sir 😁 I love my Gigabyte Triton too. Had it for 4 years almost- at the time it was a toss up between this or a Centurion 5, but I was sold on the build quality of the Triton. Plus it was 100% proven to be able to fit 8800GT/ 3850s and such.

Reply 14 of 39, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Thank you sir 😁 I love my Gigabyte Triton too. Had it for 4 years almost- at the time it was a toss up between this or a Centurion 5, but I was sold on the build quality of the Triton. Plus it was 100% proven to be able to fit 8800GT/ 3850s and such.

I bought the 1st Centurion 5 as I wanted an all-black case with 12cm fan...and as this was the only one with 12cm fan that didn't look like a fully illuminated christmas tree (the others were those so-called gamers rigs :r) this was the one I bought.
The 2nd one I bought more then 3 years later for my new Phenom II BE rig because I was yet again hunting for a good largish case with 12cm fan and this was the cheapest nice looking one 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 39, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, a fellow Phenom II BE owner... mine is housed in a CM690 Pure Black case. Superb case- not too bulky, tons of room, very fierce looking without being ricey. Maybe I'll post up some pics of that later today...

Reply 16 of 39, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:

Ah, a fellow Phenom II BE owner... mine is housed in a CM690 Pure Black case. Superb case- not too bulky, tons of room, very fierce looking without being ricey. Maybe I'll post up some pics of that later today...

You don't happen to have a Scyte Mugen 2 running with it now would you? 😜

One thing I love about these cases is their excellent cooling 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 39, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

You don't happen to have a Scyte Mugen 2 running with it now would you? 😜

One thing I love about these cases is their excellent cooling 😁

Cooler Master N620- one of the best back then. And the CM690 is very cool (literally!).

Edit: And come to think of it I have some very cool floppies also- in neon colours which I bought boxes of in 2003-2004 (can't remember when exactly). To add to your pics of floppies.

Reply 18 of 39, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it's nice to see the evolution of onboard stuff on the back of the cases

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 19 of 39, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
schlang wrote:

it's nice to see the evolution of onboard stuff on the back of the cases

Yes, but the only thing that I find a nuisance is that at some point in the past, mobo manufacturers started to use their own custom backplate layout which meant that if you somehow lost the backplate, another random one wouldn't fit anymore.
It's so bad theres even a market for spare backplates 😜

Report spammers here!