VOGONS

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So here's my latest PC, bit of a waste of time in terms of games but it's been fun getting it to work:

Abit BP6
dual Celeron 500's
768mb pc133
GF2 GTS, with 44-something drivers

mirosound pcm20 [yes! it works! just hates my 386 board, but works fine here, except the radio application doesn't run nicely and seems to mess up the driver. is an improvement though cos when i first installed it, it seemed to uninstall the card and then complain there wasn't one...lots of trial and error with this...]. The midi has very nice piano and strings, not so good on wind I think, and it's a bit spartan-sounding on eletronic stuff like the doom theme. I'm assuming this is the opl4 that's playing the midi and appears as "synth" in the volume control panel.

running NT4 SP6.

The midi works and I get the usual windows sounds, not tried quake 1/2/3 yet, that's about the only games I will use here I think. Nice smooth sound, quite a surprise when I thought it was dead 😜.

I tried to run the hard drive on the highpoint controller but nt4 wouldn't play ball [have tried 2000 before on this and that works fine]. Now I've tried nt4 after a break of many years... it's so unfriendly I'm hooked. Must have got soft because it used to seem normal.

No friendly device manager! 🤣.

Reply 1 of 8, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're going to love that one. I have the follow on board, the VP6, with dual 1ghz Coppermine P3's. Games of that time period only use 1 CPU, but when it's time to get serious and run some apps that are dual CPU aware, you'll be glad to have that board.

Reply 2 of 8, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I run a virtual CD drive,a nd it chews up a fair amount of cpu power. with nt/2k that goes to one processor and teh game runs an the 2nd. so its ALWAYS worth it to me.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4 of 8, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

I run a virtual CD drive,a nd it chews up a fair amount of cpu power. with nt/2k that goes to one processor and teh game runs an the 2nd. so its ALWAYS worth it to me.

Hmmm. How much CPU horsepower are we talking about losing here? I've not noticed too much trouble running magic iso with my 1ghz coppermine rig, but plan on adding a 133mhz non-mmx pentium rig soon.

It sounds like I might not be able to do that now. I never actually bothered to check how much CPU such programs use.

Reply 5 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use Daemon Tools on 98SE. CPU use will only happen if the image is being accessed. I've never noticed anything particularly draining about games playing CD audio through it.

Maybe if you are skating the edge on the game's CPU requirements, but then it'll be slow anyway regardless of CD image access.

Reply 7 of 8, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I built a BP6 because I read that Quake 3 could atake advantage of SMP, so I figured that a new wave of SMP games were on their way. They weren't. The Celeron 300As that I overclocked to 450MHz never complained, however.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 8 of 8, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Great Hierophant wrote:

I built a BP6 because I read that Quake 3 could atake advantage of SMP, so I figured that a new wave of SMP games were on their way. They weren't. The Celeron 300As that I overclocked to 450MHz never complained, however.

Well, they did actually arrive, just a bit late for you to use your BP6 with any of them. Games are supporting more and more threads/cores all the time. I'm waiting for someone to build a gaming rig out of dual 16 core Interlagos Opterons or something equally insane later this year.