VOGONS

286 Build

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 70, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just practice mate... Never had any training or anything... Read some guides on the web and practice on some dead boards 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 61 of 70, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like to know:

I saw that in the bios configuration that the option for Graphics mode is EGA..
I had played with some of mine 286 boards, that some are only possible to select till EGA mode.. Would VGA be supported by the whole system. So make it sense to use a VGA card if the bios cant support greater then EGA?

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 63 of 70, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:

I like to know:

I saw that in the bios configuration that the option for Graphics mode is EGA..
I had played with some of mine 286 boards, that some are only possible to select till EGA mode.. Would VGA be supported by the whole system. So make it sense to use a VGA card if the bios cant support greater then EGA?

I don't have this system any more, but I have successfully used a VGA card, and played VGA games on this system.

Reply 65 of 70, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I needed to clear out some storage space and I wasn't using it.

It was fun to build and I learned a lot but ultimately, most pre-VGA games were available as a superior Amiga port, and that's the system I was playing them on.

Reply 66 of 70, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DonutKing: Lovely machine no doubt about 😀 And thanks to your thread, an idea popped into my head. And that was the thought "286 overdrive", And bloody hell. I was astounded with what I read, there actually were 286 "overdrive" cpus. So if you ever felt like you wanted to make something fun (in the future and if the money was right). You could try to hunt down a 25 mhz 286 and try to find an overdrive for it, and then perhaps do some serious "old school" pimping for that machine too, and of course "cheating" would be accepted, like CF cards, as an HDD and what not. Even though by the "true" retro people. They would perhaps frown upon it 😀 Anyway, great thread and thumps up, from the north of Europe 😀

Reply 67 of 70, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have ran an "overdrive" chip in a 20MHz 286 before. It ended up becoming a clock doubled Cyrix 486SLC with 1kb cache. I later got an IBM 486SLC-66 with 16kb cache, but unfortunately that was after I sold the 20MHz 286. To be honest I didn't like the feel of the upgraded 20MHz 286, because it felt no different from a 386SX.

At the moment I have an original 8MHz IBM 5170 (model 319) with a Ti486SXL with 8kb cache running at 48MHz. Yes, that is a 6X external clock. I have tried to get the IBM 486SLC2 going in there, but I was having conflicts with the AHA 1542 SCSI controller. It might be possible to get it going though, as there are a lot of CPU registers to play with.

The 486SLC2-66 is the fastest direct upgrade for a 286 that I am aware of. There *may* be a 100MHz SLC3 upgrade out there, but I am not aware of it. It actually wouldn't improve things much since the really slow memory holds things back. It may be possible to upgrade to a full blown 486 or 5x86 if you combined the right adapters, but that might be asking for trouble.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 68 of 70, by vikpc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

this is real Rerto!
case 😎 must be repainted with MSDOS logo

DonutKing wrote:

Your video is dangerous! why?
check this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA

Wielder of Atiesh, Greatstaff of the Guardian

Reply 69 of 70, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fantastic read. Thanks for sharing. Great machine you have there! 😀

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**