VOGONS

286 Build

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 70, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can see that dropbox.com site.. its not down at all.. But can`t see you pictures / images. The all have dead links. They worked before. But for now i cant see them.

EDIT:

I know what is wrong.. You are using dropbox.. And that site was blocked by spyware doctor.. That why i couldnt see your pictures..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 43 of 70, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DonutKing wrote:
sebaz_ri wrote:

Did you need a special non-AT case for the 286?

No, its standard baby-AT form factor.

So then i can use a 286 board with a 486 case?
And what about a 386?

PS:thanks for replying faster

Reply 46 of 70, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sorry I don't understand what you're saying exactly??? Which card are you referring to?

There's definitely nothing PCI in this entire system...

Reply 47 of 70, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DonutKing wrote:

I'm sorry I don't understand what you're saying exactly??? Which card are you referring to?

There's definitely nothing PCI in this entire system...

I know that there's no PCI cards at all in your system
but my 486 ISA's cards connectors are diferrent than yours

PS:I think that in your 'to do list' must be the building of an 8088/XT system!

Reply 48 of 70, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

my 486 ISA's cards connectors are diferrent than yours

Can you post a picture? I'm guessing yours might be EISA which are backwards compatible with normal ISA cards.

Funny you mention that, I have an IBM 5150 here that I'll be working on in the near future 😉

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 49 of 70, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DonutKing wrote:
Can you post a picture? I'm guessing yours might be EISA which are backwards compatible with normal ISA cards. […]
Show full quote

my 486 ISA's cards connectors are diferrent than yours

Can you post a picture? I'm guessing yours might be EISA which are backwards compatible with normal ISA cards.

Funny you mention that, I have an IBM 5150 here that I'll be working on in the near future 😉

Network card in the 486:
868f579ac0227a529944ef4cce47740a8bb8bd6e19ee3cd2ccb59b54a5e6fb266g.jpg

Sound card (mine one is OEM, it says Compaq premier audio)
03ede45d48684d8996f27fbf90d5a6e15ce87ecdaea4b87e739d2c21cf65a2156g.jpg

PS:When you start posting about the IBM 5150 please PM me

PS/2Thank you for describing all about that 286 mobo, now i know what means MFM and why the FDD cables have a twist

Reply 50 of 70, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That just looks like standard 16 bit ISA cards. Some of the cards I used in this system were only 8-bit and only had one connector, while 16 bit cards had the two connectors that you see in those pics.

Reply 51 of 70, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DonutKing wrote:

That just looks like standard 16 bit ISA cards. Some of the cards I used in this system were only 8-bit and only had one connector, while 16 bit cards had the two connectors that you see in those pics.

The point is, i want to know if i can use this type of cards in a 286 system?

Reply 55 of 70, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't really see the point, already got 3.11 on my 486 and disk space on this machine is at a premium...

Reply 56 of 70, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A bit of an update today...

In the first page of this thread I posted a picture of a spare 286 board that someone had taken to with a screwdriver to steal the PLCC 286 CPU and damaged the socket. Well today I replaced the socket with a new one.

Here is our patient:
JJ3GN.jpg

JdziY.jpg

Here's what we're working on:
J7xFf.jpg

After about 2 hours with my soldering iron and some copper braid, I stuck a blade under the CPU socket and tried to lever it out...

Q4Mm2.jpg

Not too bad for a first attempt... the rest of the pins just pulled out with pliers.

FuFVc.jpg

In with the new socket:
EKfG7.jpg

JYSor.jpg

Some of the resin on the board surface burned off but none of the tracks were damaged.

So now, the moment of truth.... I stuck in an Intel 286 CPU and hit the power button...

N4d78.jpg

Success!

ZN8Ef.jpg

GgBei.jpg

The board springs back to live. Unfortunately its got one bad RAM chip (marked with a bit of red tape in the photo above) so I'm just running it with 512KB RAM for now. I'll need to dig up a replacement 256x1 DIP RAM chip.

Of course all this could have been avoided if someone wasn't so eager to steal the CPU and just used the proper PLCC extractor tool.... 😒

Another repair I had to perform recently was to the ST251 hard drive. It would work fine for a while but after an hour or so of use it would just go dead ('seek errors' when trying to load from disk and on rebbot it would fail on POST with a HDD errror). It would come back to life after leaving it for a while.

I found this page http://home.earthlink.net/~z100lifeline/data/HDrive.html which suggested replacing two 22uf surface mount caps near the power supply connector with 47uF caps.
Unfortunately I forget to take pics and the drive is mounted back in the PC (its a pain in the arse to remove without taking half the machine apart).

But this job was simple enough... a dab of solder on each end of the surface mount cap, then hit it with a bit of copper braid while sliding a blade under the cap and gently levering it up... repeat for the other side and it popped right off.

I got two 47uF electrolytic caps and soldered the legs of these to the surface mount pads, bending the caps over so they were nearly flat against the board.

So far its been good. I haven't had any of the issues I had before, drive is humming along perfectly. I can definitely recommend replacing the caps for anyone that's fiddling with an old ST251 drive.

Reply 57 of 70, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice work! I'm hoping to try and remove the surface mount 286 on my board in order to fit a PLCC socket like yours so that I can try out one of the IBM 286->486SLC2 modules.

So far I've got a surface mount PLCC socket (not through-hole like yours), and it looks do-able with my soldering skills... but I don't have a fallback if the IBM module doesn't work. So I'll need to get a PLCC 286 first. Ideally the same (16MHz) or faster (20/25MHz) as mine.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 59 of 70, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice work, you got some good soldering skills there. Wish I had them as well 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!