VOGONS

Ideas for a Dos/9x PC?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think there ever really was a high spec version of this Compaq. I'm not sure if yours has the same but mine has the Intel 815E chipset. It's possible that this issue is caused by the Trident video car I have installed but with the Audigy installed, I have to be careful with certain operations. If I play relatively complex MIDI music for awhile with a large sound font loaded, the computer will, after some time, appear to lock up. However, it will just be video; I can use the power button to properly trigger a normal shut down, I hear audible events, etc. However, video is frozen. The problem became somewhat less prevalent after disabling hardware acceleration for this card. I'm thinking a combination of less than stellar design on the video card combined with it competing against the audigy for bandwidth. The same problem has not been observed when I am, using the onboard video. Come to think of it, the second I get ahold of a converter box to let me output to TV using a VGA port, the Trident PCI card I have in my Compaq is GONE! The i81 embedded video really isn't half bad being used in a computer of this spec.

Reply 21 of 23, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
robertmo wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Voodoo2 in a P4?
COOL THAT THING

What do you mean exactly? You can place voodoo 2/1 in just any computer that have free PCI slots. I have both Voodoo1 and 2 in a Phenom 4cores machine.

leileilol is referring to how voodoo cards have a tendency to overheat in newer systems, sometimes causing permanent damage. 🤣

Why do they overheat in new systems? And damage to what exactly: card or system?

Reply 22 of 23, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://www.falconfly.de/identify-3dfx.htm

According to Quantum3D, 3dfx Banshee and Voodoo2 Chips contain a Bug which could cause them to overheat in modern Motherboards
(e.g. Pentium4 or AthlonXP based Systems)
This overheating effect has been observed to a lesser extend with the Voodoo3 as well.
It is assessed to be most critical on passive cooled Banshee Cards, where it can lead to thermal failure within one Minute of operation or less.
When using a such combination for the first time, leave the Case open and closely monitor Chip/Cooler Temperatures of the Card.

Reply 23 of 23, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That was lucky I misunderstood as well!
Felt the card and it was warm but not so much you couldn’t keep your hand on it.
That said none of us are as young as we used to be so ordered a couple of fans, 1 I’ll direct onto the face of the card and 1 from the side. That should keep the old girl cool, bloody better!