VOGONS

Vintage Build

Topic actions

First post, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey everyone, first post! I've built a vintage 486 mostly for playing FPS FBpro, but also whatever else from the era interests me. It's great to add to my collection; I have a GLide PC, an early OpenGL/D3D PC, and my vintage dual-P3 workstation.

I've referred a lot to the threads on the forum while building mine, and now feel worthy of posting my board specs!

Soyo Sy-25N MoBo
AMD 5x86-133 ADZ w/ Trinity VRM
128MB EDO RAM
128kb cache
Seagate ST1480N 420MB HDD
NEC 6x4 CD changer
iomega Ditto 3200 backup
Creative CT1740 w/ Yamaha DB50XG
Hayes ESP card
Microsoft Inport Bus card
BusLogic BT-445s VLB SCSI controller
Hercules Dyanmite VLB w/ 2MB
Microsoft Natural KB
Headstart Explorer 3-button bus mouse
Juster MM speakers
Samsung Syncmaster 19" CRT
generic desktop case w/ 300w PS

Only running 33MHz at the moment, working on custom peltier/swiftech heatsink before attempting 40MHz but not sure both the VLB cards won't flake out.

Will pay $$$ for:

caching ISA I/O-IDE controller

PM me for my list of trade-ables...

Reply 2 of 10, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, definitely a good time! I actually had fun setting up my config.sys and autoexec.bat to get all of my devices and TSR's high. I scored a VLB LAN card, would be nice to include it but running 3x VLB? -- maybe asking for problems. I like to build mostly period correct machines, next one maybe either a 386-40 or going for a Cyrix GX, not sure. Will look into that after I get my OpenGL/D3D machine and Dual P3 workstation (both ca. 2002-3) changed around the way I want.

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 3 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You *may* be able to get away with 3 VLB cards at 33MHz. You may be asking for problems if you run the bus speed higher than that.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 10, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Supposedly, the reason no motherboard ever had more than three VESA slots is because of electrical limitations. I assume your hard drive controller is VLB. If that's the case, I would recommend creating a backup image of the computer's hard drive before experimenting as an overloaded VESA bus can easily result in data corruption. However, VLB problems seem to be more rampant on the lower quality boards. A reputable manufacturer wouldn't knowingly build a motherboard that's expandable beyond it's own good.

Reply 5 of 10, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, not that I really NEED a VLB NIC other than coolness/retro factor. Maybe I'll try it, but I'm enjoying it now as is. I'd still like to try it at 40MHz FSB just "to see".

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 8 of 10, by LowSpec486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
7cjbill2 wrote:

It's got a socket for one, but no BOOTROM installed.

I am looking to buy one of those SCSI cards, but I want it with boot capability. The documentation talks about the on-board BIOS being able to service interrupt 13H calls: http://ftp.nchu.edu.tw/Hardware/mylex/manuals/bt445s.pdf (see page 10).

So it seems there are cards of that family without on-board BIOS.

Could you post a photo of your card, please? 😀

Reply 9 of 10, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Duh! Sorry, but for some reason I thought you were referring to my VLB NIC. That's what I get for not reading the entire post! But, to answer your question, yes, it has on-board firmware and works fine. Make sure your board can support DMA on the VESA slot or it won't work, though, found that out the hard way. The BusLogic cards have always been really easy to configure for me, but they are a little finicky. I've found the 445S to be a little more problematic on newer 486 boards (v4.72 BIOS POST is dated 1992) than the 445C. The 445S are switch configurable, but the 445C variant has an on-board configurable BIOS just like an Adaptec card. They are a little more robust b/c you get to choose more configuration options (DMA, SCSI select, etc.)

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 10 of 10, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, yeah, and they overclock like a champ. Mine runs happily at 50MHz, but I run it at 40MHz w/ my ADZ133 all day long.

Will pay $$$ for: